Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in our game on Saturday, and though we went with Innovan's FAQ, I don't find the FAQ convincing on several points.

The issue is this: Diplomatic Service can be used to select an Alliance tile as a free action. However, no mention is made whether the limit of "one tile per round" applies. In fact, the rules barely mention the one tile limit at all, which provides us little context for a ruling; and the description of Diplomatic Service gives no help either.

Dip Service seems a bit strong to me at only 2 gold, and this would weaken it quite a bit.

The FAQ claims that the tile limit only applies to the two "normal" actions, and credits "Adam Smiles" with the ruling. I'd rather hear something from the designer himself, so if anyone knows if Martin Wallace has ruled on this issue, please post your findings here.

Thanks for your time,
-s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this straight from Martin:

Quote:
Hi Chuck,

The use of any tile does not constitute the use of one of a player's two actions. Thus a player could take a tile as one of his normal actions and use the Diplomacy tile to take a second tile, although this would have to be an Alliance tile.

Hope that helps.

Best

Martin Wallace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only that, but it's in the rule book.

"If the tile is marked with triangle then it can be used once per war. It should be rotated 90 degrees to show that it has been used in the present war. Using any tile is a free action, (i.e. it is an additional action to the two actions a player normally performs). There is no limit to the number of tiles that can be used in a round. "

Note above - extra action in addition to the two actions a player performs. So it CAN'T be the single purchase of a tile allowed as an action since it isn't one of your two allotted actions in a round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,
I appreciate the clarification, but the rulebook nowhere states that the tile limit applies only to "normal" two actions allowed. In fact, as near as I can tell, the only place the limit is mentioned is in the list of possible actions - hardly the pinnacle of exposition.

Chuck,
Thanks for the note. With Mr Wallace's conclusive statement, I consider the matter convincingly closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, in the sequence of play (btw, these are cut & pastes from the rulebook), it says:

"In each round each player can perform two actions. A player can perform any combination of the following actions:

Buy a tile, (once per round).
Build one unit.
Move two units.
Make one attack.
Colonize or Enslave, (once per round).
Pass.

After all players have completed two actions the round marker is advanced one space and the next round begins. After five or six rounds play progresses to the Income and Maintenance phase.
"

So, it explicitly states that Once per round, for one of your 2 actions, you can buy a tile. In other words, of your two actions allowed, you can only use one of the two to purchase a tile.

It should be noted that the Diplomatic tile does not purchase a tile, it allows the owner to simply take a tile (with any cost still payed) vs. buying a tile. A subtle distinction, but nevertheless (in my mind) clear that using it is not one of your two actions, and therefore cannot break the rule of using only 1 of your 2 actions/turn to buy a tile - which is in the beginning section on what constitutes a players turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.