Popular Tags: [View All]
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
Come to the dark side we got cookies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,
I am trying to figure out which LCG I should get.
Here are my alternatives:

Lord of the rings: I love LOTR, I like the gameplay, the only think that doesn't appeal to me is the scenarios. I prefer free play rather than scenario.

Warhammer: Invasion seems to be less of scenario driven gameplay. I love the universe

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game: I don't a lot about the game

Android: Netrunner seems to be lots of fun I think I am leaning towards this one, lovely theme, no scenarios, awesome art work

I love star wars but I didn't like the game play from the reviews.
Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game: I am not rly that into cthulhu universe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner.

Be aware of a strange asymmetrical learning curve.

But great great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed they didn't use the usual discard pile, draw pile, tap, untap

By the way how does game of thrones compare to lotr?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players?

Android: Netrunner is strictly a two-player game. It is awesome and highly recommended! Super tactical with some bluffing.

Star Wars is another two-player. A bit lighter than Netrunner, and deck construction is simpler (might be an advantage or a disadvantage). The game is very tactical and the Edge Battles are a huge part of it.

Warhammer: Invasion is also pretty much pure two-player, but there are some homemade variants for multiplayer. Lots of expansions out for that one. Very good game, too.

A Game of Thrones works well from 2-4 players. Another really good game. There is A LOT of stuff out for that one, already (when starting out, I would suggest keeping to the Core Set and Deluxe Expansions at first to not get completely overwhelmed by the options).

The Lord of the Rings is the only cooperative game here (works well from 1 to 4 players), which sets it apart. Of course, the scenario driven gameplay is part of it, so if you do not like that part, it might not be for you.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zebani200 wrote:
I noticed

He meant that Runner and Corp play COMPLETELY different.

Quote:
they didn't use the usual discard pile, draw pile, tap, untap

Well, there is a draw pile and discard pile.

Quote:
By the way how does game of thrones compare to lotr?

You cannot compare these two at all. They are completely different.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It kind of depends on what you want: a rather easy, quick game, a more complex one, cooperative or competitive?
I haven't played them all, but here are my experiences in a nutshell:

Lord of the Rings
The only cooperative game. Can be played solo, but that is a lot more difficult than playing with friends (it supports 1-4 players). Optimal player number is 2. Great artworks, terrific theme. I actually enjoy playing the scenarios, especially since they are not (yet) directly copied from the book.
The scenarios provide a background storyline and some unique twists. They also make the game more variable. In some scenarios, there is a lot of fighting going on, while you need to just rush through others.
The rules are relatively complex, and lots of rules details are unclear, sadly.

Warhammer: Invasion
Plays similar to other CCGs, especially Magic. Good artworks. Only plays with 2 players. Rather easy rules-wise, plays quick. I'd say this is a good introductory LCG if you have no experience with this kind of card games.

A Game of Thrones
The most complex of these games. Almost all cards offer some unique effect, and the finer details of the timing rules are tricky. In addition to your normal deck, you have a plot deck of cards that determine your income and your initiative each round. It also features three kinds of attacks (kill your opponent's characters, make him discard cards, or steal his victory points).
Unlike most other games, the goal is not to kill your opponent, but to gain 15 victory points before the others do so.
Artworks are somewhere between terrible and good, but (in my opinion) are generally not as good as in the other games. Plays with 2-6 people. If you play with more than 2, there is a political/diplomatic component that the other games do not have. Multiplayer games can take very long (2-4 hours).
I really love the game, but I'd say you need to like the theme or should have experience with this type of game.

Star Wars
Only plays 2 players. Fantastic artworks. Features a stronger bluffing element (the so-called edge battles) than, say, Warhammer: Invasion. Gameplay is very quick. Deckbuilding requires a lot less time compared to the others, since you cannot change every single card in your deck, you can only change them in batches of 5. I haven't played it often yet, but so far, I really enjoy it for its quick gameplay.

I only played Netrunner once and totally hated it; it felt to me like most of the time, nothing happens at all, and the game felt rather random to me. But I must be missing something since everybody else totally loves it.
I have never played Call of Cthulhu, so I can't say anything about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
I only played Netrunner once and totally hated it; it felt to me like most of the time, nothing happens at all, and the game felt rather random to me.

Yeah, a single game surely isn't enough. Esp. if you are using the preconstructed decks, which are not very good.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soares
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Game of Thrones, Call of Cthulhu, Lord of the Rings and Warhammer: Invasion.

If I had to cast a vote, I would go with Warhammer: Invasion. The artwork is absolutely fantastic, the game plays fairly quickly, and it has an easy learning curve. Each faction plays uniquely, and the theme fits well with the concept of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to spanner your plans, let me point out something to you called Mage Wars Arena

It's not marketed as an 'LCG' but it is the same format, but comes with a board, cool bits, and I've enjoyed it more than any of FFG's LCGs I've played(those being all except GoT)

Without going into too much of a 'spiel' I can make a strong case on the fact that there's no random-draw cards. You build your spellbook then have access to everything you put in there during the game, no more death-by-draw! That for me is a godsend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callin Flores
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me begin by saying I am an avid fan of the format and I love FFG. First off, some corrections. Warhammer: Invasion and Star Wars both have expansions planned to up the play count if that is an issue. Now them, if you're interested in an LCG, NOW IS THE TIME! If Netrunner appeals to you, play it. It is the best of the 4 I've played (Netrunner, Star Wars, Invasion and LotR). I've actually picked up Star Wars as a second game to pass the time or migrate to when I get a bit burned out on netrunner. The reason I say now is the time is that both games are relatively new and so you have a golden opportunity to buy in near the ground level (more so with Star Wars than netrunner). The back catalog of GoT and Invasion pushed me away from the games and I think it is perhaps the greatest weakness of the LCG format. Get in early, and get it all as soon as you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearborn wrote:
First off, some corrections. Warhammer: Invasion and Star Wars both have expansions planned to up the play count if that is an issue.

Right. I have read about the SW 3v1 expansion.

Didn't know about WH:I, yet, but from the start I had been wondering, why there are no official multiplayer rules... of course, making fun and balanced multiplayer rules for that game is not so easy.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the input.
I watched a couple Mage Wars reviews and I don't like it. You have to play with someone who really knows the cards, and spends time arranging his own spells and such. I need something I can teach in 15-30min and let the other player have fun

Also I like the randomness of card games.

I know I said I didn't like scenarios but I ordered LOTR after watching a 2 hour long game play.
I am also planing on getting Netrunner and Warhammer core sets as soon as they become available on bookdepository.com (since thats the only place that delivers to Turkey with free shipping

From the looks of it GOT needs a lot of attention + some investment. So I am gonna pass on that one.

SW, I just didn't get the hang of the game mechanics I wish I liked it, I love the SW universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zebani200 wrote:
thanks for all the input.
I watched a couple Mage Wars reviews and I don't like it. You have to play with someone who really knows the cards, and spends time arranging his own spells and such. I need something I can teach in 15-30min and let the other player have fun

Also I like the randomness of card games.

Try the other SW game.

Summoner Wars: Master Set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spend the dollar to pick up Summoner Wars on iPad. I did, and played a few games with each of the 8 factions. I'm all about the tangible version of games, but this just did not have the staying power for me to justify more than the $1 I spent. Great way to test drive the game before you sink $50 + shelf space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh I took a look at summoner Wars as well Not for me. I actually loved them both summoner wars and Mage Wars but then I realized that I won't get to play them a lot and they needed lots of attention

But I do have another SW titled game in my collection: Small World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you describe in more detail what you did not like about Star Wars?

Because, from your posts, I would think this is likely the best LCG choice for you.

It plays fast, deckbuilding is easy, and it also does not need a huge explanation before you can play the game.

You are definitely right about Mage Wars. It is highly involved and requires both players to know the game well enough. You can play with the preconstructed decks, so you do not really need to spend hours upon hours building your own, but even then it is quite involved (complex game).

Summoner Wars, OTOH, is quite simple, actually.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zebani200 wrote:
I realized that I won't get to play them a lot and they needed lots of attention

How does Summoner Wars need a lot of attention? Compared to any LCG, SW is a breeze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tanco
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems like you've already made up your mind about Netrunner. I was drawn into the game solely based on the reviews, but after multiple plays with the core set I realized that it was not a game for me. Try it out and see what happens.

Personally I have a fondness for the LOTR LCG and the Star Wars LCG at the moment. LOTR for its unique game play and interesting player interaction. Helping other players rather than destroying them. Star Wars for the theme more than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well I was wrong about summoner wars it does look very simple and easy. I might get Summoner Wars Master Set if I get a chance.
I took another look at star wars as well It doesn't look so bad now (I think the more I get into LCG games the more I like them?)

Anyways I might try the core set as well.

I found someone who has netrunner I will try it with him next week So I will get a better sense of the game.

Update: Ok I found SW on Book Depository and ordered it

Which expansions do you guys recommend to get with the game?
A Dark Time Force
The Search for Skywalker
The Desolation of Hoth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A second Core Set is the best expansion for starting out with the Star Wars LCG.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
A second Core Set is the best expansion for starting out with any LCG.

Fixed. Sad but true. Part of me thinks about how cheap a core set for a LCG is, and I go, "Oh yeah, I need two of them," and suddenly it isn't so cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A second core set is only needed if you want to play competitively. I play a lot of invasion and still don't own a second core set.

Though having just lost a deckbox with 4 decks on a train I may be needing another coreset after all at least...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Star Wars you really want a second one, though.

Especially, if you do not plan on buying lots of expansions.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.