Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan: 65
Terence: 48
Marisue: 43

After a string of losses at RailRoad tycoon (some embarrasing and some even more embarrasing), Dan invited us over for dinner and gaming action, hoping for redemption. When we arrived, Stephenson's Rocket was already laid out and ready to go. It was ON!

Last week we played this and Marisue pulled off the win by a fairly wide margin. This time, Dan was out for blood, and more importantly, bragging rights that HE was the king of Stephenson's Rocket, and RRT be damned!

So we sat down and got right down to it. This being our second full play of the game (we had also previously played a few turns of a game before stopping when more people showed up), no explanations of rules needed to be done, although frankly I would really enjoy it if someone would explain to me a killer strategy for this game.

During the course of the game, competition was tight. Marisue continued her previous strategy of trying to keep up with the number of goods that everyone else had, so that she could take a share in all the winnings. She also managed to gain the most shares in two railroads by being mostly the only person to move those lines.

Meanwhile, in the upper part of the board, Dan and I spent a lot of time driving the gray train in circles to build up shares. I managed to position things so that the next person to move the gray train would have to move it through my station, and Dan did the same with the purple line and one of his stations.

After several turns of deadlock, where neither of us were able to convince the other to take the first step and give the other a passenger, I broke down and moved the gray train over my own station. On his next turn, Dan capitulated and did the same with the purple line.

Before long, the end of the game was nigh. Dan and Marisue took great delight in moving the orange train around my carefully laid stations, laughing gleefully as the stations were bypassed and making token "Would you like to veto that?" remarks, knowing full well that I had no orange shares.

And then the game was over! After the final tallies were made and the dust settled, Dan's strategy reigned supreme! However, there was no dancing, as in that one fateful game of Princes of Florence. Still, he felt good that he had managed to "layeth down the smack" in Stephenson's Rocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.