Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Taught the game yesterday with a group of 5. 3 of us were new, 2 with a couple plays. Player who got first took Qamata (I was last, and was fine with that), and easily scored tons of cattle through hub payments from other players and eventually won. My take away from the game was that this is a game where newer players can hand the game to someone based on their play, and that I'd rather have start player and last choice of start position at the beginning of the game, assuming I'm playing to win.

Comments?

By the way, I like this game a lot, and really don't have any major complaints at this point. If the cost of strategic depth is some additional chaos with new players, I don't foresee that bothering me too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to take a god on the first turn. Going first you get your choice, but there is so much interaction with other powers and strategies that sometimes you may feel its better to wait and see what other players do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what Chester said, but yes, new players can determine the winner with their play. Not as severely as Puerto Rico, but it does make a difference.

A big part of the game is learning how to play defensively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the added difficulty for new players is that they don't see the signs of an impending win until (at best) one turn before it happens (usually only the very turn it will happen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chrisr
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sounds like he luckily guessed your meta game on the first turn. qamata is reactionary and as it requires akwardly placed craftsmen, and opponents who are willing to use hubs after qamata is picked. however, 5p results in the most akward placements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metagame? Can you explain this comment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chrisr
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
metagame? Can you explain this comment?

it just means factors outside of the games rule set. Such as knowing a certain players play-style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chrisr
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
in addition to more potential awkwardness from 5 craftsmen managers, you also collect from 4 players per turn. so its certainly skewed for 5p games.i dont want to claim your friend was just lucky, there are certainly reasons to think qamata is good in a 5p game.

ill just say... it seems 90% of the tactics in the game seems to be about changing or benifiting from the ritual good velocity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.