David Ainsworth
United States
Tuscaloosa
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my pre-teen years, I played Gettysburg '77 a lot. The advanced game was over my head and took too long, especially solitaire, so I played the intermediate game over and over and over. After a while, I developed several variants for it.

Going back through my copy of the game reminded me of them. I thought I'd offer them to everyone with some comments on how they work.

I. Non-historical unit entry
As should be obvious, messing around with unit entry substantially alters the balance of the game and increases the random factor. On the other hand, it makes for a nice change and I think the battle feels a bit more like the haphazard scramble it was, at times.

Basic procedure
Whenever a division or Confederate cavalry brigade would normally enter the game, roll randomly to determine what unit enters, applying the following rules. (Roll a random Union division to begin the game on the board as well.) Either modify the roll range or reroll should a selected unit already have entered:
1. For a Union division, roll 1d8 to select the corps (8=Cavalry), then 1d6 to select the division (1-2/3-4/5-6 or 1-3/4-6). See the list below to determine what division to attach artillery to.
2. For a Confederate division, roll 1d6 (1-2/3-4/5-6) to select the corps during July 1st turns, then 1d4 thereafter (4=Cavalry). Then roll 1d6 to select the division (1-2/3-4/5-6). For cavalry, 1-2=Hampton and F. Lee, 3-4= Chambliss and Robertson, 5=Jones and 6=Beckham. Jenkins' cavalry brigade enters with Early's division. See the list below to determine what division to attach artillery to.
Alternately, you can restrict entry to units of the same type: infantry for infantry and cavalry for cavalry.
3. For Headquarters units, enter Meade and Lee as normally listed. For other Headquarters units, players may select and enter any Headquarters associated with a division (or Confederate cavalry brigade) already on the map. If no Headquarters meet that requirement, players should roll to select the Headquarters using the above procedure for selecting a corps.
4. Hunt's artillery group, the Confederate I Corps artillery and Imboden's cavalry brigade enter at the listed times on the appearance chart. The entry of brigades which normally enter apart from their divisions (like Stannard at 5 PM on July 1st) should be ignored.

Time schedule modification
Repeated play suggests that random entry tends to favor the Union, so these modifications are designed to somewhat counteract that advantage.
1. The two Union divisions scheduled to enter at 11 AM on July 1st instead enter at 2 PM.
2. Confederate units entering July 1st at 1 PM instead enter at 12 Noon; units entering July 1st at 2 PM instead enter at 1 PM.

List of artillery attachments
UNION:
I Corps-Doubleday
II Corps-Caldwell
III Corps-Birney
V Corps-Ayres
VI Corps-Wright
XI Corps-Schurz
XII Corps-Geary
Cav-Robertson with Gregg; Tidball with Buford

CONFEDERATE:
I Corps (Alexander/Eshleman)-Enter as scheduled at 8 AM July 2nd.
II Corps (Dance/Nelson)-Johnson
III Corps-McIntosh enters with Pender; Pegram enters with Heth.

II. Road occupation variant
In the base rules, an enemy ZoC forces blocking a road hex will force entering units to spend 1 MP to enter up to 2 hexes away from the entry hex. Doing so often prevents the use of strategic movement as well. Players focused more on the game elements than simulation may find it worthwhile sending cavalry brigades (or elements of Howard's Corps) to block road entries, especially the Bendersville and Harrisburg entries of Ewell's corps, and this can produce odd situations where multiple divisions become dedicated to covering road entries. The following variant is designed to discourage this tactic.
In addition to the options offered under Order of Battle 7 & 9, players have the following additional options if a designated road entry hex is in an enemy ZoC:
1. The units scheduled to enter may be shifted to another road following the procedure outlined here.
1.1 Select a major road entry adjacent to the listed entry. (For example, Bendersville and Hanover Roads are considered adjacent to Harrisburg Road.)
1.2 If the selected road is closer to Cashtown Pike (for the Confederate player) or Taneytown Road (for the Union player) than the original entry road, enter your units at the selected road on the turn following their scheduled entry. Units have full movement points even if their original entry restricted their movement allowance.
1.3 If the selected road is further away from Cashtown Pike or Taneytown road than the original entry road, enter your units at the selected road two turns later than their scheduled entry. In addition, roll 1d6 to determine the units' remaining MP: 1=1 MP, 2=2 MP, 3-4=3 MP, 5=4 MP, 6=full MP.
2. The units scheduled to enter may launch an attack upon enemy units blocking the road.
2.1 If an enemy unit or units occupy the road entry hex, entering units may launch a special attack on the hex with up to 3 hexes worth of entering units. Resolve the attack during the Combat phase of the current turn. If the occupying units are forced to retreat from the hex, the attacking units may advance using the normal rules. Any units set to enter which are not involved in the attack are considered to be delaying their entry. If the enemy units remain occupying the road entry hex, on the following turn the units set to enter must instead relocate their entry under rule 1 above.
2.2 If the road entry hex is in the ZoC of an enemy unit, any number of entering units may enter using the rules in Order of Battle 7 or may delay entry as in Order of Battle 9. If, at the end of the Combat Phase of the current turn, no enemy ZoC blocks the road entry, then any units delaying entry under the Order of Battle 9 rules may enter during the Reorganization Phase using the rules for Strategic Movement or regular movement. All normal restrictions apply. In addition, these units may not enter an enemy ZoC during their movement.
2.2 is aimed specifically at a lone, cavalry brigade behind enemy lines that "cuts" a road.

Combat variants
The Intermediate game ignores unit experience in combat. Either of the following variants allow you to take unit experience into account without adding too much complexity.
Variant A: Apply the following modifiers to the CRT on the basis of unit experience (indicated on the reverse of the brigade counters, by the color of the advanced game combat strength). Remember that positive modifiers that apply to defending units should be applied as negative modifiers to the CRT.
Green (green unit) = -1 modifier (+1 if defending)
Black (experienced unit) = 0 modifier
Red (seasoned unit) = +1 modifier (-1 modifier if defending)
Blue (veteran unit) = +2 modifier (-2 modifier if defending)
Artillery units never receive these modifiers. If multiple friendly units with differing experience levels participate in the same combat, use the best modifier applicable, but subtract 1 from it if any friendly green unit is involved.

Variant B: Apply the modifiers indicated above to the target number of rolls during the Reorganization Phase. As an optional additional rule, you may allow any headquarters unit with a reorganization value of 4 or higher to remove the shatter effect from a veteran unit on a roll of "1" during the reorganization phase.

Variant C: Veteran units instead receive only a +1/-1 modifier as if they were seasoned units, but if they suffer step loss they never receive a shatter marker. Apply all other results of step loss normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow,Thanks David. Very nice. The Intermediate game was the only one I would ever play.The Advance was just too funky for me being more tactical but stil on the same map as the Basic/Intermediate

Anything that will give the old gal some more zing is very welcomedcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Harding Warren
United States
Arnold
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the combat variant you provided, David. If you like the Gettysburg Intermediate system, you might wish to check out Paul Koenig's recent efforts to apply it to other Civil War battles. He just released Chancellorsville, following his S&T release of Shiloh. Gettysburg, Antietam, Chickamauga and a bunch of others are in the works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on the PK Chanc test team and it is excellant and the way AH should have done G77 with only that as it's rules system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kulkis
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The advance game would have worked a lot better if the entire board graphics had been blown up 50& larger wit the same 1/2-inch pieces. Would have increased the cost, but I think it would have been worth it.
This would have made it easier to manage the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Fry
msg tools
I am looking for a copy of the rules for Gettysburg '77. Electronic would be great, but... Do you know where I can get one.
Thanks,
Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.