Hide
2 Posts

Axis & Allies: WWI 1914» Forums » Strategy

Subject: the key to strategy... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troi anni
msg tools
Is to focus your powers towards a goal, in my opinion. In the games I've played I was always a central power and we always won, but I think that's because the way to work together is real obvious for the central powers: bone Russia. It seems less obvious for the Allies, but I think the answer is: bone the Ottomans. If the allies work together all powers can get troops there (with a bombardment) by round 3 (to include the US, with the others doing so by rnd 2). The way that the ottomans usually push for Africa or Russia, I think the French and British can position themselves such that they (collectively) can get 2bombardments and 10troops to constantinople on the second rnd. If Constantinople is super cautious, it will lose ipcs and Brits from India can easily just waltz through.

I think the idea (i'll be playing the allies for the first time soon) is to have Italy try to hold while helping deal a little with the Ottomans, have the Brits focus on the Ottomans, and France try to withdraw enough to stretch the German lines enough to make the Germans wait or attack with a weaker force, while the Italians (with maybe some American help) hold off the Austrians. Once the Ottomans are dealt with, that's another 19 ipcs that the allies have (at least the amount they will probably have lost with the Bolshevik revolution, Venice, and a few French provinces) and that, with the 4 German and 4 neutral African provinces will mean that the allies will have even extended their ipc advantage, while most of it (the Ottoman Empire and Africa) will be secured because Russia is out (blocking central liberation of the Ottomans). This should be doable in less than 5 turns, meaning the allies (namely the British) will be able to drop off boatloads of troops in Italy and, with its now 50something ipcs, quickly buy BBs and transports and harass the crap out of the Germans.

It seems to somewhat match what actually happened. Has anyone tried this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is to focus your powers towards a goal, in my opinion. In the games I've played I was always a central power and we always won, but I think that's because the way to work together is real obvious for the central powers: bone Russia.

The trick is to kill Russia with the minimum number of troops. After Russia falls, the CP troops there will be badly out of position and need to be repositioned which will take time.

Quote:
It seems less obvious for the Allies, but I think the answer is: bone the Ottomans.

Its not really "less obvious". The Ottomans are the most isolated of the three CP's. England will be able to push from India as well as Africa, Italy can push through the Mediterranean and France can do so as well. Hard part is to determine how much resources to dedicate to it; any resources Italy, France and England dedicate to crushing the Ottoman Empire will be unavailable to stop Germany and Austria from gaining ground. Especially if Austria invades Italy on turn one, Italy will need all its troops to hold ground, leaving only France and England in a position to deal with the Ottomans. The USA will not be able to move any troops until turn 4 at the earliest, but once the USA is able to move they are in a good position to support the French, freeing the English to focus on the Ottomans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.