British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lylje: 98
Terence: 89
Mark: 87
Marisue: 64

fter eating lunch (which I hear was fairly tasty), talking a bit, then eating some ice cream cake, we pulled out our latest favorite game, Railroad Tycoon.

People that know us know that Mark and Lylje are famous for playing Ticket to Ride Europe so frequently that they had to make up their own route tickets to add back some mystery to the game. Those same people also know that Marisue is the undefeated champion of RRT in our circle of friends, having never lost a game. I guess people that don't know us that are reading this session report know that now, too.

We explained the rules for the game, which was fairly easy since we've done it so many times now, and also our new opponents are old hat when it comes to train games and linking cities up. So we got off to a rousing start!

As usual, my strategy in the game was to scan the board and try to find some easy 1 link deliveries to start building up an economy, so that I can take as few shares as possible. The initial upturn of cards included two government land grants. Marisue managed to get both of them while everyone else was busy fighting over who would get the cushy bonus points for the first delivery.

With her perfect engineering card, she managed to link up some fairly decent cities to begin with.

Having knowledge of the game and what cards might come up can be quite the advantage, since you can build track to connect cities that you know there will be service bounty for, which is exactly what Marisue did.

Mark mostly worked in the north east, making some small deliveries, while Lylje started expanding in the middle of the board and the west. She snapped up the Chicago hotel. During the course of the game, many red cubes were delivered there, both by her and by me, giving her quite a few bonus points.

During the game I set myself up for some nice 3 and 4 point deliveries, but instead of carrying them out right away, I started scanning for other possibilities. A couple of times while playing the game I found myself without a ready supply of deliveries to make.

During the middle of the game I had only 2 shares issued and quite a few points, so I was earning a lot of cash. I funneled as much as possible into train upgrades.

With a decent train I started looking for longer deliveries I could make. I notice a couple and begain to build the links needed. That same turn Marisue started building links out of the same city. That's when I noticed that she was also setting herself up for some big point deliveries of red cubes. However her train wasn't good enough. So I stole her red cubes and delivered them to Chicago myself, although I did have to use one of Lylje's links (and give her points for the Chicago hotel).

I was finally in the lead! I tried desperately to try and empty enough cities to end the game quickly, but Mark and Marisue both urbanized and took empty city markers off the board. Unfortunately for me, this bought enough time for Lylje to make a few long deliveries and sweep past me before the game finally ended.

Mark and Lylje both had a secret mission to have the most cash. However I had the most cash, having hoarded it for several turns since all I was doing was making deliveries and my train was as good as it could get. Marisue's goal was to have the fewest shares, which she achieved only because during the game I had taken a third share so that I could build the last segment of track needed to steal her cubes. My goal was to be the first to upgrade my train to level 6, which I managed to do.

So in the end, my victory was snatched away from me by Lylje, probably by the same number of points that I gave her during the game delivering red cubes to Chicago and using one of her links for every delivery.

The important thing is that the Railroad Tycoon Empress has been dethroned! There is now a nasty black mark on Marisue's RRT win/loss record!

I can only hope that this trend continues, although something tells me that this was just a fluke loss and I'll never see the likes of it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.