British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark: 300
Lylje: 210
Marisue: 190
Terence: 130

For the final game of the night, we pulled out M, a nice little abstract tile laying game from Germany. We'd played this one with Mark and Lylje before the last time that we visited them, so we only needed to briefly go over the general gist of the game.

One of the things I really like about M is the way that scoring happens. When it's triggered, each person has to take a tile if they can, wether they want to or not. An interesting twist on this is the rules that allow for what tile to be taken, and that the scoring goes around the table in reverse turn order. What this means is that if you're careful when you play, you can force one or more people to take tiles that will end up hurting them in the end (only 2 colors count as positive points).

Throughout the game, both Mark and Lylje worked this to their best advantage. On several turns I got screwed into taking not only a tile in a color that I didn't want, but a highly valued tile at that.

They also seemed to be quite skilled (or maybe just lucky) in getting tiles that allowed for the theft of precious bonus scoring disks from me.

Usually I manage to maintain enough disks that I can at least offset negative points. Not this time, though. I had so few disks and so many negative points that I effectively had to throw away all tiles in my second color. Which is sad because all of the tiles in my primary color were fairly low scoring ones.

And so Mark pulled off the win, did a short dance, and then declared that it was time for them to head off since they had a long drive ahead of them.

And that's the complete story of how some nice in-laws came to visit, played games with us, and won all of them. Leaving us, their gracious hosts, crying on the couch as they departed.

At least they left us Funyuns!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.