Hide
17 Posts

Ghost Stories» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is there anything that can go wrong with this strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tal R
msg tools
In a two player game Pick the blue with the 2/2 and the green with the no curses. Each turn the blue uses twice the hut an then the green player brings him back to life on his turn. If those two tiles are next to each other nothing can happen but I guess its really powerful even if they are not. I think that a 3rd player with the move other player ability can also be really powerful

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
A stack of ghosts whose "on entry" ability is to play the next ghost, for one; You could easily find yourself overwhelmed even if you're guaranteeing killing two ghosts a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this strategy has already been discussed multiple times.
Yes, it IS a viable strategy, but still only a strategy that does not guarantee victory. The main arguments:

1) usually, at least according to the rules, you have to randomize the taoist color and ability. Excuse my math, but there is imo only a chance of 4% to get green and blue with the right abilities.

2) think about ghosts that bring a "friend" along. Then think about ghosts that bring a friend along AND block your power (okay, thats not that big a deal)

3) there is still no time to prepare for Wu Feng, when you finally face him. Also: In higher difficulty, there are multiple incarnations which you cannot kill with the witch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Frantz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who actually chooses colors and boards randomly like the rules say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Shades911 wrote:
Am I the only one who actually chooses colors and boards randomly like the rules say?

Nope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Shades911 wrote:

Nope

I do as well. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shades911 wrote:

Not at all: Monk Selection Table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shades911 wrote:

I just roll a die (reroll if black/white) and take that colored board, then roll again and flip it if I hit the same color or black or white, anything else I keep whatever was facing up. Quick and simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mo7189 wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:
Shades911 wrote:

Nope

I do as well. cool
I have a randomizer on my Ipod Touch that I use to randomly assign the Taoist positions, their powers, and the village tile layouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this whole strategy stuff came up because, as far as I know, in the iPad app, you are allowed to choose your taoist and your power.
Pretty lame if you ask me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
I think this whole strategy stuff came up because, as far as I know, in the iPad app, you are allowed to choose your taoist and your power.
Pretty lame if you ask me

It is excellent for learning and for strategy experiments. It also exactly mimics the board game version where nothing enforces randomisation of the Taoist or the village tile layout. I think it was a good decision to leave it as a choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kasca wrote:
It also exactly mimics the board game version where nothing enforces randomisation of the Taoist or the village tile layout.

... yeah... except for the rules whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
kasca wrote:
It also exactly mimics the board game version where nothing enforces randomisation of the Taoist or the village tile layout.

That's my point. Observation of the rules is not enforced. Otherwise house ruling a game would be impossible. In that respect, the IOS version leaves the same choice (to follow the rulebook or to experiment) as the boxed version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kasca wrote:
Anduin wrote:
kasca wrote:

That's my point. Observation of the rules is not enforced. Otherwise house ruling a game would be impossible. In that respect, the IOS version leaves the same choice (to follow the rulebook or to experiment) as the boxed version.

ah, okay. I think I misinterpreted your previous comment. Because I think that a rulebook is there for enforcing the rules of the game. And its great if you have the choice in the app (as long as you also have the choice to have it all randomized). Houseruling is one thing but its another thing to maybe call a game broken because there is a strategy that only becomes prevalent, because of a bending of the original rules. (I know, no one called this game broken but it could happen if this strategy really would guarantee a victory)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
its great if you have the choice in the app (as long as you also have the choice to have it all randomized).

Like you I prefer the random experience (per rulebook) and it would be annoying if the IOS version didn't offer that. As it happens the only thing the IOS app doesn't have a way of randomising is the choice of Taoist colour, since you must manually select the 1 to 4 Taoists in the game; but you can either decide this with two coin spins, cycle through the colours in sequence, or always play with four Taoists.

The IOS app then defaults to a random layout of the Village tiles, the four boards and the Taoist powers. If you want you can un-randomise that layout, by moving the tiles around and flipping the powers. Anyone who wants to play by the rulebook with a random layout has that option merely by hitting 'Continue' and accepting what they're given. All other rules are enforced, with the extra advantage that, unlike the physical boardgame, you can't accidentally break one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okay, thanks for the overview! good to know
Maybe I'll check that out someday... if I'm allowed to use the iPad of my girlfriend ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note... the iOS app is only for Ipad... it won't work on Iphone/Ipod Touch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.