Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
have all the fun . Actually, this is very much an 'anti-Cosine' deck that is in some ways the antithesis of all that Eric preaches shake strikethrough per Eric's notes below

This is a fun, but powerful, deck that I enjoy playing. It also gives new players a chance to see how a deck can be built to follow a game plan or blueprint to hopefully march to victory. I thank my DoomCoast West posse compadres-Zac Seldon and Rich Carter for numerous suggestions and tweaks. Any shortcomings or inability to play this deck, however, remain my own blush

Grateful Deadland: Whateley’s Extended Family:

(GR cost/upkeep/bullets/influence)

2S Widow Withers (2/0/0D/1)
3S Timmy Derrick xp (3/0/0D/1)
5S Nebuchadnezzar (“Nebbie”) (1/1/1S/0)
7S Astoreth Whateley (3/0/1D/1)
7S Dolores Whateley (4/1/0D/1)

Total Influence: 4
Total additional influence in deck: 9

Total Control Points: 13

Whately’s Extended Family-19GR/+2 income
Starting GR: 19-13 = 6 w/ 1 upkeep

AC Gaping Maw
AC Cheatin’ Varmint
AC Lady Luck x 2

AS Shouting Tom
AS Gareth
AS Town Drunk
AS Saul Whateley

8S Cassandra
8S Pox Walker
8S Jebediah Whateley
8S Silas Peacock

8C What this Town Needs… x2
8C Panic Attack
8C Kidnapping

JD Deadland x2
JD Ignacio’s Exotics
JD Abombination Pit
JD Gaping Maw Strike

2C Lost Horizon
JC Who Are You Again? X2

AD Wyrm Hill
AD Lord Grimley’s Manor xp
6D Abandoned Mine
8D The Undermaze
8D Stagecoach Office

AH Nicodemus’ Deck
AH Mind Twist x2
6H Sabtabiel’s Remains
8H Fleeting Memories
10H Samhain x2

2S Chupacabra
2S Faminite
3S Dread Wolf Pack
4S Hoodoo
5S Tomb Guardian
6S Tabitha
6S Tombstone Frank
7S Will O’ The Wisp
9S Headless Horseman
10S Unknown Hooded Figure

Jokers: 2 Death’s Head Jokers or a DHJ plus a Fool’s Joker to help w/ pulls

This deck attempts to unleash a reign of Terrors and ratchet up the Fear Level, using Lord Grimley’s Manor xp as the denouement. The main draw structure is a Dead Man’s Hand, supplemented by stack support at Ace, Eight, and Jacks to reliably hit Full House/Four of a Kind before degenerating down to the DMH itself.

My original ideas came from:
http://www.gamesmeister.com/doomtown/viewtopic.php?t=436

except:
The +2 economy of the WEF, quite frankly, sucks. The Sioux can Rain Dance, the Collegium crank their Investment Machines, The BlackJacks can boot for Ghost Rock, and Sweetrock, is Sweetrock. This decks’s Mantra: Deadlands IS the engine. Repeat after me: Deadlands IS the engine. Between card draw and tutors, Deadland should come out on the first couple of turns. Indeed, the deck is designed to get out the Deadland as soon as possible to prime the Terror engine.

Rancord’s deck is a standard Full House/Four of a Kind deck. It does have 3 What this Town Needs and a Deadland, but no way to reliably draw any sort of economy. Repeat again: Deadland IS the engine.

Despite the DMH, this is not a pure shooter deck-it is a deck that shoots well, and shoots with two purposes-defending key Deeds (Deadlands, LGMxp) and removing opposing Influence. This deck also fits comfortably into the double-barrel format. In Open format, for example, I’d go 3 Samhains and 3 What this Town Needs.

The Game Plan:

1. Get the Deadland into play ASAP
2. Raise the Fear Level
3. Keep the opponent’s influence in check
a. Reduce ‘em
b. Remove ‘em
c. Shoot ‘em
4. Drop Lord Grimley’s for the win

Starting Posse:
Good mix of influence and defense. Facing Dixie Rails (e.g. Ezzie), start higher value Dudes. Facing shooter decks, possibly start Faminite as a backup Stud. Dolores breaks the fundamental rule of ‘never start Dudes w/ upkeep’-but she’s Influence, buffs Nebby, and cycles black cards (DMH cards back into the deck and free up space for card draws-e.g. getting the Deadland).

Getting the Deadland into play:
1. Initial 5 card draw
2. 2 copies of Deadland
3. 2 copies of What this Town Needs
4. Dolores Whateley’s ability to discard a black card (cycles DMH cards)
5. 2 copies of Lady Luck
Until the Fear Level hits 6, keep 3 GR on hand to pay for Deadlands. You can play Abandoned Mine if its defense (no opposing Terrors) is effective.

Raising the Fear Level: Assumes FL starts at 5:
10H Samhain-good for pulls, does its job, aces itself, what’s not to love?
JD Abomination Pit-supports the DMH hand, and is easily defensible w/ Abandoned Mine if you can park an Abomination there.
2C Lost Horizon-Cheatin’ helps the cause big-time
Sabtabiel’s Remains-gotta survive a shootout, but a pro-active way to bump FL.
LGMxp bumps the FL by 2, so you only need 3 ‘bumps’ to fully bring the pain w/ LGMxp.
The different methods provide alternates in case of event hosing, non-cheatin’ opposition, etc.

Reducing/Removing Influence:
This deck is short on influence, so you need to keep THEIR influence low, or at least low enough so that dropping LGMxp with its insta-CP flood (3 for LGMxp + 2 for hitting FL 10 + the 4 CP that WEF gets for FL 10 = 9 CP for the LGMxp play) wins the game for you:

Town Drunk
Mind Twist

Kidnapping
Panic Attack
Who Are You Again? Combos w/ Pox Walker and Chupacabra

Shootout support:

8D Stagecoach Office-CP, income AND get paid to thin the deck? Yes, please!
AC Gaping Maw
AD Wyrm Hill
Dudes w/ Abilities: Nebby, Hoodoo, Tomb Guardian, Tombstone Frank, Tabitha, UHF

Known issues:
1. Slow Start-if Deadlands doesn’t come out, this deck ain’t goin’ nowheres.
a. Likewise vulnerable to CP flood/rush decks
2. Cheatin’! Stacked values = risk of Cheatin’. I’m considering alternate builds that stack 3 deep on the DMH and 1-2 deep on the support values-include more influence and huckster/influence boosts at the ‘off values’. See ‘sideboard’ below for possible replacements-really any non-DMH values for cheap terrors or dudes w/ influence and no upkeep can slot in to diversify the deck.
3. Relatively low influence and control-this deck needs to aggressively hose/remove the opponent’s influence/control and it’s not a major denial deck.

Bottom line: This is not a great deck, but it is a fun deck that given the chance, can flex some truly fearsome muscle and grind down the opposition; paving the way for Lord Grimley’s Manor xp ultimately casting its dark shadows over Gomorra.
10C Welcome Home-another ‘in your face’ Job that handles problematic Deeds, especially if someone else is packing LGMxp.
JC Grave Robbin’-Dudes are dying, might as well cash in-stack support
JC Shallow Grave-your Dudes are dying, might as well get ‘em back-stack support
KC Forgery-backup in case opponent drops a key deed before you do.

AD Stuffed to the Gills Strike-Thematic w/ income and CP, but doesn’t have the ‘drop the hammer’ impact of LGMxp e.g. it won’t win the game. Stack support
AD Freak Show-interesting ‘dwindling CP’-can help provide a burst of CP-Stack support
AD The Lode-used here both as Stack support and as a mid-game time-keeper, e.g. ramp up CP and income. Can be hard to control w/ this relatively low influence deck. I’d rather save my shootouts for defending the Deadlands or LGMxp
4D Graveyard-Dudes are dying-might as well cash in. OWNER, not Controller benefits. Good CP, but expensive and ‘off value’.
5D Seventh-Sign Strike-Great CP and production for the cost, along with a killer (pun intended) ability that combos w/ Pox Walker/Chupacabra/Who Are You Again. But like Stuffed to the Gills Strike, for the cost won’t win the game.
5D Theatre-better in a huckster-based deck
8D Slaughterhouse-Yer killin’ Dudes-make sure they stay planted-Stack support
10D-Vigillance Ranch-good defense, but like Theatre, better in a Huckster-based deck
QD-Undertaker’s. Dudes are dyin’-might as well cash in-good for pulls, but ‘off value’
JD San Simeon Mine-insta-income and ‘on value’ for DMH. Placeholder for any number of JD Deeds-especially since I want to play out Deadlands, Abomination Pit, and at least on production Deed (e.g. Gaping Maw at 4/+3). Really can’t justify more than 5 JD, somethings had to go.

AH Pembroke’s Analysis of Hoyle-Huckster buffage, acts as a built-in Snakebite, but requires the Huckster to be in a shootout. Stack support.
3H Dim Eyes-Huckster buffing, but ‘off value’
5H Motherlode is Found-good card, like Samhain raises FL and aces itself-can be a bit cheesy to actually hose a SW player.
9H Stumbling into the Badlands-Yes, it raises the FL, but having to wait a turn AFTER a Dude is aced AND having it come up in Lowball is very situational. Even if you have Ace in the Hole, that is TWO cards (AitH and SitB) that clog your hand waiting for the time to play it.
JH Stayin’ Put-easy Hex to pull off-great defense against Pistol Whips etc. that want to move Dudes off of key Deeds such as Deadlands or LGMxp or the Lode. Stack support

Dudes-either more cheap terrors or influence
3S Ezra Whateley-Good influence for cost, nerf ability
5S Flesh Mob-cheap terror, but Headless Horseman has same bullets and ability plus influence.
5S Thedrick Whateley-Huckster w/ Influence plus Harrowed ability
8S Chinese Ogre-‘on value’ and income-making Terror, but went w/ terrors or Dudes that had Influence.
9S Rev. Noah Whateley: Expensive for the influence and ability. Better used in combo w/ Huckster buffing items and possibly joining forces with say Christopher Hill.
10S Jebediah Whateley xp-overall a solid dude on Huckster, influence, no upkeep. Good for pulls. Might help make a minor stack on 10’s
QS Armitage the Damned & Terrormental-the big, bad boys of the Terror team. Too expensive and still have upkeep after the WEF ability. I prefer to use Astoreth to lower costs (and maximize profit) when bringing in Terrors. A version of this deck that does more to buff influence might see Astoreth as the paymaster for these guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
davido wrote:
Actually, this is very much an 'anti-Cosine' deck that is in some ways the antithesis of all that Eric preaches...

I'd be interested to know which platitudes or axioms of mine you think you aren't following?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
davido wrote:
Actually, this is very much an 'anti-Cosine' deck that is in some ways the antithesis of all that Eric preaches...

I'd be interested to know which platitudes or axioms of mine you think you aren't following?

• lots of Tutor cards and card-draw engines (What this town needs, Lady Luck, etc.)
• boring non-CP, GR generating strikes
• sit at home or on deeds and crank up the Fear Level
dunno, just seems to be different than what your puttin' up here. OTOH, I suppose 'shootouts with a purpose' would follow 'good Doomtown principles'

And yeah, I be Cheatin'! way too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
davido wrote:
• lots of Tutor cards and card-draw engines (What this town needs, Lady Luck, etc.)

I don't remember ever coming down on these. I use Lady Luck in The Supershooter as well as Pony Express, Whiskey Flask, Dirt-Face Figueroa... which is also Aces, Eights, and Jacks.

Quote:
• boring non-CP, GR generating strikes

These are not bad cards to use. They make the game play bad. And you don't really have any in here. One Gaping Maw does not count.

Quote:
• sit at home or on deeds and crank up the Fear Level

A deck that plans to shootout by structure and inclusion of cards for it can hardly be considered "hiding at home". And again, don't confuse what makes the game fun to play with what wins games. Often, what wins is the least fun to play or play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Eric-fair enough-didn't mean to take a dig atcha-I'll let the deck stand or fail on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.