Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Leavitt
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Just picked the revised edition up yesterday. I'm excited to get into the Rulebook tonight!

Any Tips?

Also, I'm surprised at the lack of community for this game. Not a lot of action. I hope that isn't telling of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
klaytonix wrote:
Hey guys,

Just picked the revised edition up yesterday. I'm excited to get into the Rulebook tonight!

Any Tips?

Also, I'm surprised at the lack of community for this game. Not a lot of action. I hope that isn't telling of the game

I don't think it's telling of the game I think it's just everyone is happy, and such
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Czerwinski
United States
Deltona
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wouldn't worry. It's a great game, one of my personal favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game...is....fantastic.... even if my wife wins constantly... I did a review on it, and this game made my wife more of a "strategy/war" gamer (I know Calendale is face palming me right now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
And like that... he's gone
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. Great game I wish I could play more. I moved to a different town and still trying to get a group together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know people don't gab about it much, but it really is a phenomenal game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klaytonix wrote:
Hey guys,
Any Tips?

Two things:

I found it really helpful to set up the whole thing and do a mock run through one year before trying to teach/play with anyone else. Gaining a familiarity with all the components is a really helpful.

I'd recommend not worrying too much about the map setup phase at first. Granted it is a relatively important part of the game, but at first you (or the folks you're teaching) probably won't understand why. Just set it up and go for it.

klaytonix wrote:
I'm surprised at the lack of community for this game. Not a lot of action. I hope that isn't telling of the game

Don't worry, it's not. Give the game a few runs to draw you in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Aneillio; better to set it up and run through a year than just trying the to read the rules then play. There are a lot of pieces and things going on. Doing a solo run through, or having a friend play a learning 2 player session with you will help you get a firm grip on the rules. It is a very good game and quickly became a favorite of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hancock-Parmer
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
History Professor; Interested in Co-op Dungeon Crawler Design
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really great game that doesn't make it unto our table often enough. It's not as time consuming as Descent (First Edition), but it is similarly hungry for real estate. In other words, make sure you have plenty of table space in the middle and enough side tables if your main play area isn't big enough to accommodate all the bits and pieces.

As for advice, I'd say that you need to remind players that although the different factions begin with certain advantages concerning Tactics and Influence, they need to realize they have a good deal of freedom to decide for themselves through their play which of the two they will focus on. For my part, I'd remind them that having the most influence is an easy path to victory among novices -- but not to underestimate the power of a well-played Tactics card. They have the potential to be game changers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winter
United States
Free Soil
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
took us 10 games to feel we knew what we were doing. when i got it i thought it would never get played. when i told my game group of the potential length they were very skeptical. it took probably 2 or 3 months to get it to the table with 2 of them on a separate game day. then we didn't stop playing it for almost 4 months once or twice a week. the biggest skeptic became the biggest fan. now our biggest problem is its only a 4 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, one of my all time favourites! I like trying variants too, so many ways to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkard
msg tools
mbmb
No need to run a separate first year.. just go with it. My tips:

- Try to tell everyone how you get the runes (from questing, from winter season events and influence bids, from dragon thrones, from changing 3 hero rewards to a rune with the title etc) so everyone has a clear idea on what to do and how to win the game
- Warn about the food rule in winter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Leavitt
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I opened it up the other night and setup a game by myself to learn the rules. I'm excited to play... looks like it will be a lot of fun!

Also, how good is the expansion? Should I pick that up too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winter
United States
Free Soil
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
play the main game then when you fall in love with it order it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Leavitt
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well.. My brother and I have given it a couple good play throughs. Already in love!!

It actually plays really well 2 player!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airmarkus wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't worry. It's a great game, one of my personal favorites.

It is the only game were my GF hasn't beat me yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.