Subject: ‘The devil is in the horsemen’ or ‘don’t spare the details’ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Carroll
England
London
flag msg tools
“A Great Battles of History Module for Devil's Horsemen

Mansourah (The Army of the Seventh Crusade, under King (Saint) Louis IX, vs. the Abbuyid Sultanate of Egypt, under Emir Fakr-ed-din ...Egypt, February 8, 1250)

(2nd) Homs (The Mongols of the Ilkhan Horde, under Ketbugha, vs. The Mamluks, under Sultan Qutuz … Syria, February 8, 1250

2nd Homs, the follow-up battle for Ayn Jalut…”

Two battles on the same map and fought on the same day. A fantastic achievement.

I am not sure who Louis was fighting. I can go with the ‘I say Fakhr al-Din, you say Fakr-ed-din’ irrelevancy, but who were the Abbuyids? Some sort of Abbasid Ayyubid hybrid?

As far as the rest goes, Al-Makrisi’s history of the Ayyubids concurs with regard to the date for the start of the various al-Mansura battles so we can go with that one. I am unfamiliar with the second battle of Homs but saw a reference to an Ilkhan invasion being repulsed in 1281. With Ayn Jalut being September 3rd 1260, it must have been a good while after that so 1281 may well fit (Anyone know the answer?). However the main problem is that Sultan Qutuz was killed by Baybars in 1260!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Re: ‘The devil is in the horsemen’ or ‘don’t spare the detai
The ad blurb for Mansourah is a cut and paste typo . . . the game has the right information . . .and uses different maps for each battle. So you can now reast easier.

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carroll
England
London
flag msg tools
Re: ‘The devil is in the horsemen’ or ‘don’t spare the detai
Agreed the battle dates were clearly a simple error and my message was a little tongue in cheek there. The mystery 'Abbuyid' dynasty is also obviously a proofreading/typo error and clearly should be Ayyubid. However there are another two errors which are just down to sloppy research. The Ilkhanids were not led by Ketbugha (He was at Ayn Jalat) and the Mamluks were not led by Qutuz. Instead the two protagonists were, Abaqa Khan leading a combined army of Mongols, Armenians and Hospitallers, and Qalawun leading the Mamluks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.