Popular Tags: [View All]
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple years ago, I saw this game on a geeklist. At that point, I wasn't into bands and that sort of stuff, so I skipped right over it. Well, after playing guitar hero, I changed my mind, but forgot about this game. After seeing it again in another geeklist, I decided to give it a try.
Please know this is my first review, so don't be too harsh on me if I mess this up.

Setup
There is next to no setup. Just print out some paper, grab a pencil and six dice per player, then you're all set.

Gameplay
This is very simple, and runs very smoothly. I would have no complaints, except for a rules contradiction that I can't understand. Under the Touring section, it says, "You can't tour unless you have an album! You must complete five gigs in the tour before a new album can be released!" Does this make sense to any of you? Because to me, it makes no sense at all. So I just play were you have to go on five gigs before you can make an album. Other than that, the I can't find any other complaints about the rules.
During gameplay, you decide what you want to do, picking from several things: Band practice, touring, partying, getting on the news, making an album, or just earning cash to buy special people or things. When you attempt to do something, like lets say practice, you have to roll a certain combination of dice. Your musicians are labeled 1-4, so to upgrade your 1 musician (vocals) by 1 point you would have to roll three of a kind of 1s. If you got three of a kind of 3s, you would upgrade your bassist. If you get a full house of say, 2,2,2,3,3, then your rhythm and your bassist would get 1 point. The higher their abilities are, the more likely their album will make it in to the top 20. You can't tour without an album, so you'll have to make an album first before you can go on a tour. I won't detail every other process, but it all involves rolling combinations, and pushing your luck. You only have four years to do as much as you can.

Scoring
The scoring is what I think makes this game so attractive. The fact that you can compare your scores to other players, and the designer will keep track of them and post the top 20 bands is amazing. I'm working hard to make it into the top 20, but not there yet.

Re-playability
This game has a tremendous amount of re-playability. No game is ever the same (EVER). You can change your band name, your musician's names, your album's names, etc. on top of all the other things that make it different each time, like rolling dice and such.

All in All
This is an amazing game, with much fun and encourages players to try again and again to beat their old scores. I highly recommend playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you go over the interactions of the mechanics and why you find them so eloquent?

It's interesting that you posted 2 slightly different reviews 39 minutes apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The touring and album rule basically means:

At the start of the game you can't tour until you have an album that you can tour with.

Once you've recorded that album you have to tour at least five times before you can record your next album.

For example, let's say we have a band called "Poople". They can't tour until they have an album. So they record "Gangster Banana". Now they go on the "Gangster Banana" tour for five gigs. Then they record "Mushroom Delight" and then tour "Mushroom Delight" for five gigs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that was a mistake I made. I made one review, submitted it, then left for a bit. When I came back and didn't see me review, I forgot I had already submitted it! So I made another one, but I don't know how to delete forums like this.

As for what I find so eloquent, the rules are very clear (except in the above mentioned spot) and let you play after only reading through it once, thanks to the charts at the bottom of the page.

The concept that you can do anything a regular rocker would from trying to get on the news to just practicing in the garage to touring the states is to me incredible.

I'll update my review above to include some more stuff as to how the game is played.

Thanks for the help Luke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
The touring and album rule basically means:

At the start of the game you can't tour until you have an album that you can tour with.

Once you've recorded that album you have to tour at least five times before you can record your next album.

For example, let's say we have a band called "Poople". They can't tour until they have an album. So they record "Gangster Banana". Now they go on the "Gangster Banana" tour for five gigs. Then they record "Mushroom Delight" and then tour "Mushroom Delight" for five gigs.

Here is the clarification!

We were looking for this last night (as the rules and the cheat sheet differed). We went with what was in the rules (and made the right call).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.