tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first I've heard of Newtown, so it definitely wasn't a conscious influence. Unfortunately, the rules aren't online so I can't comment further.

I would guess that City Blocks is to Newtown as chess is to a wargame: more abstract vs. more realistic. What both have in common are inspiration related to zoning laws and city building, and any similarities are no doubt to the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffrey Henning wrote:
This is the first I've heard of Newtown, so it definitely wasn't a conscious influence. Unfortunately, the rules aren't online so I can't comment further.

I would guess that City Blocks is to Newtown as chess is to a wargame: more abstract vs. more realistic. What both have in common are inspiration related to zoning laws and city building, and any similarities are no doubt to the theme.

Definitely theme. The game play of City blocks is pretty much a two player version of Kingdoms by Reiner Knizia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Definitely theme. The game play of City blocks is pretty much a two player version of Kingdoms by Reiner Knizia

That's a fair comparison, in retrospect. And for those who dislike Kingdoms, I would say City Blocks is more thematic and less mathy (no multiplication). My first grader can play City Blocks and beat me but can't handle Kingdoms yet.

Though at the moment I think I prefer to describe City Blocks as "SimCity meets Suduko".

- Jeffrey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffrey Henning wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:

That's a fair comparison, in retrospect. And for those who dislike Kingdoms, I would say City Blocks is more thematic and less mathy (no multiplication). My first grader can play City Blocks and beat me but can't handle Kingdoms yet.

Though at the moment I think I prefer to describe City Blocks as "SimCity meets Suduko".

- Jeffrey

Definitely less mathy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.