Popular Tags: [View All]
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1. Infernal Obsession and Carl Stanford
If in a situation I have taken control over another player's unique character like using Infernal Obsession to take control of my opponent's Carl Stanford. Can my opponent play the another copy of the same card, which means another Carl Stanford?

Q2. Specimen Room
When a player's Specimen Room is destroyed, does the character cards attached to specimen room goes to the card owner's discard pile or the discard pile of the player who has played Specimen Room?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Uniqueness is by the card's owner, not the controller. So if you take control of Carl Stanford your opponent cannot play another one. However, YOU could if you had one in your own deck.

2. To the owner's discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't happen often, but here I definitely have to disagree with dboeren:
dboeren wrote:
1. Uniqueness is by the card's owner, not the controller. So if you take control of Carl Stanford your opponent cannot play another one. However, YOU could if you had one in your own deck.
Here's the relevant quote from the rules:
Quote:
If a player has a copy of a unique card in play, he cannot play, take
control of, or put into play another copy of that card. It is possible,
however, for both players to have the same unique card in play at
the same time.
In other words, unique cards don't care about their owner, it's only relevant who currently controls them!

Regarding 2. there's actually a general rule that cards always enter their owner's discard pile. This is important to know because the game text of some cards seems to indicate otherwise (talking about 'return it to your discard pile' rather than 'return it to it's owner's discard pile').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:

Here's the relevant quote from the rules:

Quote:
If a player has a copy of a unique card in play, he cannot play, take
control of, or put into play another copy of that card. It is possible,
however, for both players to have the same unique card in play at
the same time.

In other words, unique cards don't care about their owner, it's only relevant who currently controls them!

I can be wrong here but what I understand with the rule saying both players to have the same unique card in play at the same time would probably refer to a mirror match. I think with the statement that if you have unique card in play even though it has been taken control by another player, it is still considered to be in play and the player cannot play the same unique card.

Let me know if my reasoning is wrong here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sticky point there is the vague "has a copy in play" wording. This was clarified later to mean ownership but I don't have the older FAQ anymore where that happened and it was superceded later by adding a big section on Taking Control anyway.

However, I was wrong on something else because I just checked the most recent FAQ and found this in the Taking Control section:

"The limit on unique cards still applies.
You cannot gain control of or play a
unique card if you already control or
own a copy of that card in play."

So, actually NEITHER player could play another copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
So, actually NEITHER player could play another copy.
Yup, that seems to be correct. I hadn't noticed that part had changed, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.