Neil
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
In the year 2100, Burkenhare Technologies is the leading manufacturer of military androids for one reason: they do it well, and they do it cheap. Really cheap. Questionably cheap.

See, the expensive part of an android isn’t the software, the brain; that’s easy enough to duplicate. It’s finding the human parts. Rumor has it that Burkenhare gets their bodies off the street. Some people say they buy bodies off of willing participants desperate to get enough money to feed their families. Some people say they just kidnap. But as long as they’re just rumors, Uncle Sam is more than happy to keep paying.

For Murray Lin, a kid who grew up on the streets of Chicago, these are more than just rumors. And lucky for Murray, he’s got the skills to deal with it. He’s a brilliant hacker, a guy who’s good enough to make programming look like an art. These days, people mostly know him by his online handle: Merlin. He’s the whiz kid.

Merlin’s bringing a crack team together to take down Burkenhare. The famously loyal Percy is the first one he calls; he even sends Percy a picture of him so Percy can track him down when they meet in person. He’s also got two of the mercenaries known only as P.O.R. What that stands for, nobody’s really sure, but the P.O.R. mercenaries are top of the line, and they stick with their clients to the bitter end.

He’s also got an android, part of the Lancelot project. A while back, Burkenhare tried to develop a sort of super artificial intelligence, but unfortunately for them, the thing started to think for itself and, with the help of Merlin, its good side broke free of the corporate network. Merlin likes to call this part Clean Lancelot, because it’s the part with a clean conscience.

Unfortunately, the company’s got a wind of his plan, and they’re sending a few representatives of their own to the first meeting. First off, they’ve got Clean Lancelot’s counterpart, the bad side that stayed behind: Dirty Lancelot. And they’ve found an interesting bug in the code that lets the two halves of their old project switch places. Merlin’s got a feeling they’ll activate it before the fourth and fifth missions undertaken by his resistance group (if it gets that far). Of course, because Dirty Lancelot isn’t the most loyal conspirator, the company hasn’t told him anything about his two allies.

One of those two allies is Morgana, a master secret agent. Morgana suspects that Merlin has contacted Percy online, so just to throw him off, Morgana decides to do the same. Since nobody’s ever seen Merlin in the flesh, claiming to be a woman isn't too far-fetched.

The last member of the company spy team is the Assassin, a master hitman. The company figures that even if the mission sabotage goes south, they’ll have an insurance plan: if the assassin can identify Merlin and take him down, the resistance will crumble.

Merlin, being a hacker, already knows about the three spies, and he’s done his homework. So when eight people show up to the first meeting instead of five, he knows exactly what’s going on. But the Assassin is out for him, so he’s got to act carefully.

Thankfully, he’s got one more tool in his pocket: Excalibur. Excalibur is an AI that tracks a person’s actions and corrects them if the person is messing up. Only catch is, Excalibur can be a little overzealous: if the person isn’t messing up, it’ll sometimes try to fix a problem anyway, leading to a worse outcome than if it hadn’t been used. On the bright side, the person who runs Excalibur gets to see the logs of what it did.

Merlin figures that the leader of each mission will pass off Excalibur to someone else on the mission, to prevent too much power being concentrated in one place. That person will then make the executive decision on whether or not to use it.

Will Merlin’s resistance uncover the dirty secrets of Burkenhare Technologies? Or...will the spies find a way to sabotage the resistance, or learn the closely-hidden identity of Merlin? That, my friends, is up to you.


- - - - -

Well, that was at least entertaining to write. But not everything fits into this half-baked story, so here’s the other stuff.

Hammer (fifth proposal in a round) will automatically go. Missions are 3/4/4/5*/5. Mission 4 only fails if there are two fails.

For Lancelot, the switches were drawn from a pool of two switches and five non-switches. As suggested above, they will happen before M4 and M5. Two important things to note:
1. The current evil Lancelot must fail any missions he is on. And, of course, the current good Lancelot must pass.
2. Lancelots freeze when the game ends. So, if the game ends with M4, then Dirty Lancelot will be on the good side, and vice versa.

Proposals should be in the form M1.1: person1, person2, person3. Votes and mission cards should be PM’d to me, with the content in the subject line. Like “M1.1 - NO”. Or “Mission 1 - FAIL”. Or whatever.

Don’t PM each other. Don’t edit your posts in a way that substantially changes the content. Dice: no dice. Go ahead and change your votes or mission cards, but once they’re all in, they don’t change. (If there’s any confusion, I’ll tell you what you ended up putting in.)

You’ve all done this before, so I’m pretty sure we’re all on the same page, but if not, you’re welcome to ask questions via PM or via posting in the thread (the first will guarantee a quicker response).

Finally, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE talk to me during the game! I want to hear your speculation / rage / amusement.

And have fun!

Players, in randomized seating order:
1. Slathe
2. clydeiii
3. schwarzott
4. Machiavellian
5. mfl134
6. Vanderscamp
7. roffster
8. clublock
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [under construction]
Role PMs:

You are Merlin. Spies are X, Y, and Z. Good luck.

You are Percy. Merlin and Morgana are X and Y. But, of course, you don’t know which is which.

You are P.O.R.

You are Clean Lancelot.

You are Dirty Lancelot.

You are Morgana. The Assassin is X. Dirty Lancelot is Y.

You are the Assassin. Morgana is X. Dirty Lancelot is Y.



Voting result template (shamelessly stolen from schwarzott):

X.x Blah proposes Blah, Blah, Blah
YES (Club, Clyde, Mach, Mike, Roffster, Schwarzott, Slathe, VC)
NO (Club, Clyde, Mach, Mike, Roffster, Schwarzott, Slathe, VC)



Mission result template (also shamelessly stolen from schwarzott):

Mission #X of Blah, Blah, Blah results:
PASS PASS FAIL
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [under construction]
1.1 Slathe proposes Schwarzott*, VC, Slathe
YES (Club, Clyde, Mach, Schwarzott, Slathe, VC)
NO (Mike, Roffster)

Schwarzott does not use Excalibur.

Mission #1 of Schwarzott*, VC, Slathe results:
PASS PASS PASS


2.1 Clyde proposes Clyde, Schwarzott*, VC, Slathe
YES (Club, Clyde, Roffster, Schwarzott, Slathe, VC)
NO (Mach, Mike)

Schwarzott does not use Excalibur.

Mission #2 of Clyde, Schwarzott*, VC, Slathe results:
PASS PASS PASS PASS


3.1 Schwarzott proposes Schwarzott, Clyde, Slathe, VC*
YES (Club, Clyde, Roffster, Schwarzott, Slathe, VC)
NO (Mach, Mike)

VC uses Excalibur on Schwarzott.

Mission #3 of Schwarzott, Clyde, Slathe, VC* results:
PASS PASS PASS FAIL


Machiavellian magically turns into Araneya!

4.1 Araneya proposes Araneya, Slathe*, Clyde, Mike, VC
YES (Araneya, Clublock, Roffster)
NO (Clyde, Mike, Schwarzott, Slathe, VC)

4.2 Mike proposes Mike, Roffster, Araneya, Clyde, Schwarzott*
YES (Club, Clyde, Mike, Roffster, Schwarzott, Slathe, VC)
NO (Araneya)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [under construction]
[Reserved for aftermath report]
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [under construction]
[Reserved for something I didn't know I needed]
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [under construction]
[Reserved just in case]
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callan Finn
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Why would you name yourself after a car security device?
badge
i herly berly on gerly werly!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
I'll play - but only 7 players. I'm won't play 10, and if it gets to that much, im happy to yield my spot so someone else can play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
I'll play either size, but if we want to keep it to 7 or under for the aussies, I'm okay w/ bowing out. I would prefer not to start until Tuesday evening EST.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
In if it's 7p.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
I'd love to do this again, but would like it that much more if we could do 8.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
mistertrench wrote:
I'd love to do this again, but would like it that much more if we could do 8.

I wouldn't mind throwing on one more P.O.R. to the 7p lineup, especially since there's no Lady, but it seems like people around here think 7 is the optimal number. How would others feel about 8?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
I'll try it, and it might not be too much more burden on our aussie friends.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
I would be interested in playing this PBF.

Disclaimer:
I have not played a Resistance PBF prior.
I have played a few f2f games (5 player).
I have not played with Lancelot/Lady of the Lake, but do have the cards/rules for same.

Basically, I'm a newbie. Willing to try if you'll have me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
chadnorth wrote:
I would be interested in playing this PBF.

Disclaimer:
I have not played a Resistance PBF prior.
I have played a few f2f games (5 player).
I have not played with Lancelot/Lady of the Lake, but do have the cards/rules for same.

Basically, I'm a newbie. Willing to try if you'll have me.

Hey, no problem! I was a newbie a month ago, too. I should warn you that these PBFs tend to be kind of intense (take a look at #72 to see what I mean), but if you're interested, I'll put you on the list!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
RedScharlach wrote:
mistertrench wrote:
I'd love to do this again, but would like it that much more if we could do 8.

I wouldn't mind throwing on one more P.O.R. to the 7p lineup, especially since there's no Lady, but it seems like people around here think 7 is the optimal number. How would others feel about 8?

Sure. Maybe even Lady would be ok for that (since the Lancelots are around) but the normal way, starting after M2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
My only problem with 7 is that the Rebs need to assemble a perfect team. The extra person just gives them that extra bit of wiggle room, but still preserves the threat of Mordred.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
mistertrench wrote:
My only problem with 7 is that the Rebs need to assemble a perfect team. The extra person just gives them that extra bit of wiggle room, but still preserves the threat of Mordred.

With 8p, every team is one bigger!
So 8p is much harder than 7p.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
Vanderscamp wrote:
mistertrench wrote:
My only problem with 7 is that the Rebs need to assemble a perfect team. The extra person just gives them that extra bit of wiggle room, but still preserves the threat of Mordred.

With 8p, every team is one bigger!
So 8p is much harder than 7p.

Hmm. I just checked my Avalon set, and VC is right. So I'd add in Lady for an 8p game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
RedScharlach wrote:
Vanderscamp wrote:
mistertrench wrote:
My only problem with 7 is that the Rebs need to assemble a perfect team. The extra person just gives them that extra bit of wiggle room, but still preserves the threat of Mordred.

With 8p, every team is one bigger!
So 8p is much harder than 7p.

Hmm. I just checked my Avalon set, and VC is right. So I'd add in Lady for an 8p game.

I think of it this way: 8p is like 7p, with an extra rebel that needs to be on every team.
So an 8p with a cleared rebel from the start is basically the same as a 7p.

When I play Avalon with 8p IRL, it's usually something like Merlin/Percy/Mordred, and Inquisitor (Lady) makes it pretty balanced.

I think Excalibur and Morgana are pro-rebel (I think I'm in the minority here, though) and Lances are pro-spy, so this one should balance out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
Vanderscamp wrote:
RedScharlach wrote:
Vanderscamp wrote:
mistertrench wrote:
My only problem with 7 is that the Rebs need to assemble a perfect team. The extra person just gives them that extra bit of wiggle room, but still preserves the threat of Mordred.

With 8p, every team is one bigger!
So 8p is much harder than 7p.

Hmm. I just checked my Avalon set, and VC is right. So I'd add in Lady for an 8p game.

I think of it this way: 8p is like 7p, with an extra rebel that needs to be on every team.
So an 8p with a cleared rebel from the start is basically the same as a 7p.

When I play Avalon with 8p IRL, it's usually something like Merlin/Percy/Mordred, and Inquisitor (Lady) makes it pretty balanced.

I think Excalibur and Morgana are pro-rebel (I think I'm in the minority here, though) and Lances are pro-spy, so this one should balance out.


I think excal is pro-spy for sure. Morgana I can see going either way, but I think it tends to help rebels more often, at least on here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
Slathe wrote:
Vanderscamp wrote:
RedScharlach wrote:
Vanderscamp wrote:
mistertrench wrote:
My only problem with 7 is that the Rebs need to assemble a perfect team. The extra person just gives them that extra bit of wiggle room, but still preserves the threat of Mordred.

With 8p, every team is one bigger!
So 8p is much harder than 7p.

Hmm. I just checked my Avalon set, and VC is right. So I'd add in Lady for an 8p game.

I think of it this way: 8p is like 7p, with an extra rebel that needs to be on every team.
So an 8p with a cleared rebel from the start is basically the same as a 7p.

When I play Avalon with 8p IRL, it's usually something like Merlin/Percy/Mordred, and Inquisitor (Lady) makes it pretty balanced.

I think Excalibur and Morgana are pro-rebel (I think I'm in the minority here, though) and Lances are pro-spy, so this one should balance out.


I think excal is pro-spy for sure. Morgana I can see going either way, but I think it tends to help rebels more often, at least on here.

I'm interested in your views on it being pro-spy, this is my take on it:
Excal makes it harder for spies to coordinate, even if they're on the mission solo.
It also makes it possible to definitively out spies and pass a mission in the process.
These benefits are huge, potentially game-winning.

The potential for spies to misuse Excal is not incredibly high, the only time is really when a solo spy has it on M4. A spy turning a passing mission into a failing one with Excal doesn't make the spy look any cleaner than if the spy failed quietly on his own.
If used properly by rebels, it can also give more information on who played what card.

How often has Excalibur actually helped the spies in all the games we've played with it? Sometimes it's been used to fail passing missions, but if rebels are assembling spy-less missions, spies are already in trouble.
IMO, the best case scenario for spies is games like #59, where it didn't really do anything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
I'd like to play. I don't really care which set-up we do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Roffey
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
I'd like to play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
Three Australians! Solid.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Araneya Olausson
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #74 - 7p+ Avalon Madness [IN SIGNUPS]
I'm in if there's room. Can play either setup.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [28] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.