Subject: Get On With It Card Conflict rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Mitchell
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: I play DiplomacyMicrobadge: Civilization Computer Game fanMicrobadge: Bioshock fan - Welcome to RaptureMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Has anyone else stumbled upon the situation where both the "Play All" and "Get On With It" rules are in play at the same time and someone decides to use the "Get On With It" rule to discard their hand and draw a new one? According to the "Get On With It" rule their turn ends immediately after drawing their replacement cards. However, they will still have unplayed cards in their hand which violates the "Play All" rule. Any thoughts on how best to resolve this? Do they just keep their cards and end their turn? Do they discard their remaining cards? Should the "Play All" rule be discarded once the "Get On With It" rule is played? Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's start with the text of the cards in question:

Play All: Play all of the cards in your hand each turn.
Get on with It: At any time before your final Play, you may discard your entire hand and draw a new hand of 3 cards. This is a free action but if you take it, your turn ends immediately.

drmitchell wrote:
According to the "Get On With It" rule their turn ends immediately after drawing their replacement cards. However, they will still have unplayed cards in their hand which violates the "Play All" rule.
No it doesn't. "Play All" simply says to play all your cards during your turn. It doesn't say your turn cannot end with cards in your hand. "Get on with It" immediately ends your turn when you use it. It becomes not your turn anymore, so you don't get to play any more cards, leaving you with the hand of 3. This doesn't contradict any more than having cards in your hand when not your turn contradicts "Play All".

(For pedants: note that the Hand and Keeper Limit cards force you to discard when not your turn, so you don't get to ignore the limits just because you used "Get on with It".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Mitchell
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: I play DiplomacyMicrobadge: Civilization Computer Game fanMicrobadge: Bioshock fan - Welcome to RaptureMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
We ended up handling it the same way you describe, but I still think there is some major ambiguity in how the two cards interact. The Looneys need to either tighten up the wording in future printings or add specific guidance in the FAQs. If they don't, I shall be forced to say "Ni!" unto those silly English bottom-whoppers until they appease me!

Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb