Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read enough forums to clearly see that for 2 heroes vs the Overlord the games is at least moderately biased towards the Overlord player. What "houserules" have people tried to make it more evenly balanced? Please don't just suggest to use 3 or 4 heroes as it's the first time I'm playing it and it is a 2 player game and 2 heroes is enough to manage at once. It should also make for a shorter playing time for each encounter which is often at a premium.

One option I thought of was that the Overlord only starts with one card in their hand at the start of a Quest (rather than 2 when there are only 2 heroes). It's only a minor tweak but might help to make a small change to the balance towards the heroes?

Another possible option might be that the heroes get an extra 25GP at the end of each quest so that they become more powerful as they are able to afford better equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try giving them one extra action per round, so that between the two of them, they get five actions instead of four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy J
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
How about they each start out with a 0 cost skill from another class in addition to their normal skills? You can limit it to the same archetype for thematic purposes, but in general this should allow heroes to make better use of their actions without being overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adny Riik
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
there are two main concerns here: a miss costs the heroes one quarter of their actions and not drawing the needed items. So,
- heroes don't miss on 'X'
- heroes draw 5 shop items during shopping phase (or choose 3 from 5, that will show up). They could also get a loan, that they must pay back latest before interlude, so that they can actually afford to buy something in the first two shopping phases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this concern will be addressed by FFG at least a little bit with the Allies in the Labyrinth of Ruin set. If you look at the ally stat cards they are actually stronger when there are only 2 heroes in play and weaker with 3 or 4.

Using an ally is essentially what Darren suggested though - it gives extra actions to the heroes on their turn. In the case of allies it's even better than what Darren proposed since you get two actions from an ally (although only one can be an attack action). And it helps spread out the damage to 3 targets rather than 2. Of course the tradeoff is that once an ally is defeated it is out for the rest of the encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Adny wrote:

- heroes don't miss on 'X'

Ever? I know we're trying to boost the heroes here, but what's the point if there's no chance of failure?

How about "The heroes get one free re-roll of the Blue die if it comes up "X" the first time. Other dice may not be re-rolled without an ability that allows it."

Adny wrote:

- heroes draw 5 shop items during shopping phase (or choose 3 from 5, that will show up). They could also get a loan, that they must pay back latest before interlude, so that they can actually afford to buy something in the first two shopping phases

What happens if they can't pay back the loan in time?

You could say all money earned goes immediately to the loan until its paid, but (a) that means the heroes will be dirt poor until the loan is paid off and therefore not buying anything new, and (b) what happens if they don't even FIND enough money to pay off the loan in time?

I think a better option is to just start the heroes with a certain amount of money to spend, kind of like playing with the Epic Play variants, only in campaign mode rather than one-shot mode. The heroes start with 100 gold at the beginning of the campaign (first shopping phase is still after First Blood.)

Morph Mode wrote:
I think this concern will be addressed by FFG at least a little bit with the Allies in the Labyrinth of Ruin set. If you look at the ally stat cards they are actually stronger when there are only 2 heroes in play and weaker with 3 or 4.

I agree, an ally is probably the best idea. Coming up with a variant rule to introduce one of the LoR allies in Shadow Rune would be one option. Making a new ally (or allies) to be used instead is another.

Of course, using an ally might be too much like playing with a third hero for the OP's tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I thought the "heroes don't miss on an X roll" would be way too far in one direction, but if you think about it, it's really not that great, because rolling an X on the blue attack die doesn't add any hearts or range. So the most you could do with a blue/red X is 3 hearts and a surge (as opposed to five hears and two surges) and the most you could do with a blue/yellow is two hearts and a surge (as opposed to four hearts and two surges). Additionally, the most range you could get on a blue/yellow is 2, so it still effectively counts as a miss for Ranged attacks unless they are in close quarters.

Essentially, rolling an X isn't necessarily an outright failure, but it's a greatly weakened attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.