Daniel Potter
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG!

Me and my wife have recently started playing board games and are looking to make another purchase.

So far we have:

Castles of Burgundy (Both love)
Lords of Waterdeep (Wife's favorite)
Carrcassone (Both enjoy)
Pandemic (Wife likes, I don't mind it)
RFTG (I like it more than my wife)
Civ 4 (Both like but it is long and we think it will be better with more)
Risk 2210 (I love it. Wife doesn't)

Small World (We don't like it. Have played it with 2 and 5. With 5 it was boring. Looking to trade it away)
Earth Reborn (Too fiddly and boring for both of us, I really wanted to like)

Games I know we want:
Agricola
Dungeon Petz/Lords
Keyflower

These will work for us right? Any other suggestions?

Bonus question:

Is there a game that mixes a game like risk that a Euro player (my wife) would like?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy San Juan, it is a really good 2 player game. Eight-Minute Empire is another go to game for us. We just discovered Castles of Burgundy and it is a current favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play with my girlfriend as well, Dungeon Petz is a big step up. check out:

Yedo
Cyclades
Alien Frontiers
Kingdom Builder
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

For your bonus question: Kemet or Clash of Cultures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Fisher
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
http://d6desperados.libsyn.com/
badge
Mooo!
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupSurvive: Escape from Atlantis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Potta wrote:

Bonus question:

Is there a game that mixes a game like risk that a Euro player (my wife) would like?
I would give Nexus Ops a shot. My gf really likes it and its kind of a light ameritrash-wargame. But I can see it having some appeal to euro players especially concerning unit purchase and placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, Carcassonne: The Castle, and Lost Cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakece wrote:
Potta wrote:

Bonus question:

I would give Nexus Ops a shot. My gf really likes it and its kind of a light ameritrash-wargame. But I can see it having some appeal to euro players especially concerning unit purchase and placement.
Shogun or Wallenstein (second edition) could be an option as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
What you should buy, I think, depends more on if you want more of the same kind of games you've already got so you're just dealing in nuances or if you want to expand the kind of collection you have to encompass more genres.

Some people want a huge collection of games so they can always find the exact kind of game the situation calls for, trading the diversity with less plays per game.

Some people prefer a much smaller collection, but made of games that can handle hundreds, even thousands of games.

The latter solution sounds like the best for a lot of people, BUT!!!, those games that lend themselves well to a lot of replays are often somewhat technical at first at take time to get used to. They require you to slog through a lot of games before you really get to grips with the game and this period of 'breaking in' is not fun for a lot of people. Those people that do like this are the people that know that these games will reward them in the long run.

I usually think of this as an enjoyment ceiling. RISK2210 has been played to death by the guys I game with. Every game they play, plays out in somewhat the same manner. It took them about 50 games probably, but they've got it nailed down to a science. The enjoyment ceiling for a game like go on the other hand...
People have played this game, and this game only, for a lifetime and they are still learning things about go.
This doesn't mean that go is only good when you're one gazillion years old and have junzu smell on your fingers, but the game KEEPS being good if you can stand the initial confusion.

There are some games that I've found are easy to learn and will keep you interested for a very long period of time:
Twilight Struggle
Commands & Colours; Ancients
go
Arimaa
shogi (although the game feels sort of close-range and glacial compared to chess)
Android; Netrunner
Magic the Gathering cube drafting (don't buy decks, buy cubes) with the added benefit that you can tweak your own game experience as you see fit.

My GF absolutely loves Twilight Struggle, Commands & Colours and Android: Netrunner. And she hates rules!

Wargames in particular reward a LOT of repeated plays. Wargames are surrounded by a lot of stigmata because of certain vocal, obnoxious, , grognard elements among the fan base, but the truth I've found is that wargames are some of the absolutely best and most engrossing games out there as long as you play them with the right people. But the good wargames are usually the ones that reward repeated play the most.

I DO have my eyes set on Sekigahara; The unification of Japan, which is set to re-release before August. It's short (people report 1.5 hours playtime , block style, beautiful, card driven, has bluffing and everyone who've played it seem totally in love with the game. I even think the rulebook is shorter for Sekigahara than it is for Agricola...

So in short: Consider whether you want a diverse collection or a focused collection. It actually makes a difference to the kind of recommendations you'd listen to

Happy hunting.
Remember to sell the games you don't play before buying (too many) new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in Keyflower now is a good time to buy -- check out this thread [US only] Keyflower $39 shipped on kickstarter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Garwood
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. its a great quick playing game that is always fun.

Also, Agricola is just a marvel of game design. I appreciate it more and more each time my wife and I play.

You can't go wrong with Agric!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Bauer
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, to answer your last question, a euro game but with Risk elements? The first game that comes to mind is A Brief History of the World. There's area control like risk, but with many euro elements within. It encourages conflict, but has a number of ways to score other than trying to wipe a player out. (I HATE games that eliminate players.)

As far as games that scale well with 2--looking at your list--consider Le Havre...we both love Agricola, LeHavre was a logical follow through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Potter
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. I am interested in twilight struggle but am worried that my wife will not like it.

I am going to do the keyflower kickstarter and may pick up dungeon petz soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Potta wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I am interested in twilight struggle but am worried that my wife will not like it.

I am going to do the keyflower kickstarter and may pick up dungeon petz soon.
You need to decide if you want a game for you or your wife. I wouldn't think Twilight Struggle would be for the wife. Dungeon Petz is a better choice.

Also take a look at Takenoko.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gehazi mann
msg tools
A little Case Blue might cheer you up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Potter
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again. My to buy list looks like:

1. Cyclades
2. Dungeon Petz
3. Keyflower kickstarter

I still need to add 2-3 more games for us to get this year. Should I go with Agricola or the 2p variant? I am leaning more toward the full game.

Other games I am considering (+the ones mentioned in this thread):

Chaos in the old World
Shipyard
Suburbia
Merchants and Marauders
Claustrophobia
Trajan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Cthulhu Wars, still time left to get in on the kickstarter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Potter
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Looks really neat but it is out of my budget and does not seem to be for 2 players.

Thanks though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Potta wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Looks really neat but it is out of my budget and does not seem to be for 2 players.

Thanks though.
Actually it's 2-5, the two player rules are being finalized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Summoner Wars? Great if you only have two people. There is also a game called Berserk: War of the Realms that is on Kickstarter now that seems similar to Summoner Wars but with a bit more complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larson
Hong Kong
Discovery Bay
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
To find your true identity within the will of Tze Yo Tzuh...that is the highest of all freedoms.
Microbadge: I love Hong Kong!Microbadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Year of the Pig
for using "my wife" instead of "the wife".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amirabutwo wrote:
for using "my wife" instead of "the wife".
How much gold would I get if I said recommend me a game for me and "a" wife?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: Decktet challenge!Microbadge: Spirit Island - BlightMicrobadge: You will start to feel very sleepy...
My wife and I enjoy Macao two-player, and I'd recommend it given your love of Castles of Burgundy. They are different games, but similarly meaty.

The two-player games we've played most are Race for the Galaxy (which you mention as not being a perfect fit for you), Dominion (which I hesitate to recommend because Race isn't a great fit), and Magnate (which I hesitate to recommend because I don't want to shill for it; but, seriously, Magnate is one to think about whistle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
For your bonus question, I think Eclipse & Mage Knight Board Game may be worth a look. Although I haven't played either, just been on BGG too much & listening to board game podcasts. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our preferences seem similar to yours. We like Castles of Burgundy, found Earth Reborn too fiddly and Small World boring (although we tend to keep it around).

YOUR TO-BUY LIST

Get Agricola - it's brill. Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a 'travel' edition of Agricola for two players only. It's cheap so, if you're unsure about Agricola, I'd get that.

Dungeon Petz/Dungeon Lords have two (!) dummy players when you're playing with two. I've never considered them for this reason - it seems like the game would become unpleasantly fiddly.

You seem to be interested in cute themes. If that's the case, Takenoko is cool. We also like the eurogame Finca, which is excellent with two. You might also want to investigate Seasons, which can be tried for free on Boardgamearena.

BONUS QUESTION

For euro Risk, you can't go wrong with Summoner Wars. It's quick, tactical and extremely replayable.

For more 'far-out' options, consider Dominant Species, which combines a war game with worker placement and plays ok with two. It also has a non-traditional wargame theme - it's about evolution and Darwinian competition between species. Clash of Cultures and Cyclades also combine euro mechanics with wargames/Risk. Cyclades has auctions and plays ok with two. Clash is excellent with two, although it can take a couple of hours to play.

OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS ON THE THREAD

Mage Knight is among our most-played games, but it is VERY long and complex. It has two multi-page rulebooks (with small text) and games can take up to five/six hours with two. Don't even think about Eclipse with two - it's unbalanced and not fun.

Liking Castles of Burgundy is no guarantee that you'll like any other game designed by Stefan Feld. I like Castles, but aren't keen on Macao or Trajan. If you want to try another Feld game, I'd consider Arena: Roma II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Six
Switzerland
Ticino
flag msg tools
mb
Potta wrote:
Thanks again. My to buy list looks like:

1. Cyclades
2. Dungeon Petz
3. Keyflower
If you are in search of a good 2 player game, Cyclades is not really a good choice, in my opinion.
Instead, you should take a look at:
- Tony's list
- Sean's list

Quote:
Should I go with Agricola or the 2p variant?
The normal Agricola is better, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |