Subject: Chum and midori rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daine .

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Had a disagreement during an octgn game I'm hoping someone can settle:

I have a server 2 ice deep with a midori already rezzed and a chum in front. The runner allows the chum to fire. If I switch the second ice, is the chum effect wasted? I could see it both ways, since in order for midori to fire, the runner would have to have encountered the ice. On the other hand, it might be reasonable to assume (or hope) that the chum transfers to the new one.

Has this been answered?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Midori's effect must be used as the runner approaches a piece of ICE, which is before the 'encounter' begins.

Chum doesn't care where the next ICE is encountered, or where that ICE was located when the effect fired. It only cares about the next ICE the runner encounters.

Put those two together, and the result is that Chum will work with the new piece of ICE installed by Midori.

... this one isn't even that hard. Does anyone playing on OCTGN actually have the rulebook on hand to check these thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty clear, imo.

Chum triggers on "the next piece of ICE encountered". Midori lets you swap a piece of ICE out during the approach phase, which is before you've encountered it.

The effect isn't "transferred" at all, and it doesn't need to be: the ICE that Midori swaps in becomes the "next piece of ICE encountered".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daine .

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
You're right. Not sure why I thought midori read "encountered" instead of "approached."

Sorry for the false alarm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if the Runner jacks out Chum fires and they have to eat the Net Damage. Basically Midori is another reason Runners need to break Chum and not just blow by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's exhaustion getting to me, but I can't imagine to logic that would lead one to think switching the ice away would mean chum has no effect. Chum says you take damage if you don't break all the subs on the next piece of ice right? Why would whether that ice is switched (whether with Midori or something like bullfrog or cell portal) make a difference?

Edit: I clearly AM exhausted. Obviously, chum would hurt you ON the bullfrog or cell portal in a configuration like that. Bleh. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't - the requirement is that not all subs are broken on the next piece of ICE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- Saturnine -
Germany
flag msg tools
Joelist wrote:
And if the Runner jacks out Chum fires and they have to eat the Net Damage. Basically Midori is another reason Runners need to break Chum and not just blow by it.
If the runner jacks out after not breaking Chum, he does not take damage from Chum's effect because he does not encounter the next ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning here.

Midori triggers (assuming she's already rezzed) in step 2.0 of the approach. If the runner were to jack out in step 2.2 after Midori swaps out the ice, the runner would NOT take any net damage from Chum since the swapped in ice would have never been encountered.

Perhaps I misunderstood your point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
Joelist wrote:
Wrong for the exact same reason OP was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls