Subject: Depth of Legendary? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi to all,

being a fan of comics (well, mostly when I was younger, but still...) and of DBG, Legendary seemed like a no-brainer for me.
However, given that it was very difficult to get in Europe, I haven't bought it yet. Now that it is easier to acquire it, I wonder whether I should.
Indeed, I have read that this was a rather "shallow" game, or at least, not that deep. I love DBG such as Dominion or Puzzle Strike, my favorite so far and which is very deep.
So, what do you think? are there many tought decisions each turn between who to attack, who to recruit? Is it critical to really optimize your deck (such as in Dominion for instance, with card "Chapel") ?

I think at first I intend to play it mainly solo thanks to the iPad app cardwarden, which looks well-suited to the task,above all because it would be very easy to add custom creations to it.

However, given the aforementioned points, I am still torn between Legendary and LOTR LCG (even though I know it is not a DBG and as such, entails that decks need to be created beforehand...but as a former Magic, L5R, Netrunner, Highlander, VS...player, I also like actual deckbuilding even though I don't have as much time as I used to have when I was younger).

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
well, it's not that I don't have time to deckbuild at all. It is just that, getting married this year and anticipating a growing family next year, I will definitely have less time. The question then is whether it rules out altogether LCGs such as LOTR or CoC for me.
The thing is, I used to like deckbuilding a lot in the past...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Dominion with all of the expansions, only Intrigue and Seaside, and I haven't played Puzzle Strike, but I would say Legendary is rather deep as far as deck-building games go, on par with Dominion with Intrigue at least. I prefer it over Dominion in almost every regard, personally. The semi-co-op nature of Legendary results in many tough decisions, but you won't notice that when you play solo. Legendary has two currencies, recruit and attack, and it has plenty of card combos and thematic special abilities. The different schemes all play differently, enhancing replayability. I have also played Ascension (including all expansions) and the DC Comics Deck-Building Game, and Legendary is slightly deeper than Ascension, when you factor in semi-co-op and the different scheme, and about 10 times deeper than the DC Comics Deck-Building Game, which is a very shallow deck-builder. Perhaps there's been some confusion between Legendary and the DC Comics Deck-Building Game? If you were going to describe any deck-building game as "shallow", I would assume you're talking about the DC Comics Deck-Building Game, not Legendary.

If you're a fan of comics and deck-building games, don't hesitate to buy Legendary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks for your feedback!
No, I was indeed talking about Legendary.

The thing is, according to what you say (if I udnerstood you correctly), most of the depth comes from the tension between playing coop or competitively. I am not sure this is something that will appeal to my friends and I. Well...I don't know...maybe.
Hence, the solo version is also important to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lillumultipass wrote:
thanks for your feedback!
No, I was indeed talking about Legendary.

The thing is, according to what you say (if I udnerstood you correctly), most of the depth comes from the tension between playing coop or competitively. I am not sure this is something that will appeal to my friends and I. Well...I don't know...maybe.
Hence, the solo version is also important to me.
It's plenty fun (and deep) solo, too. I just finished playing two solo games for the Legendary Online League, which is all solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am weak...I caved-in and ordered Legendary ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't make you weak, it makes you smart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
;-)
Yeah, but I buy too many games, hence my weakness!

By the way, one quick question: I suppose .jpg versions of the cards do not exist, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dixon
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
lillumultipass wrote:
;-)
Yeah, but I buy too many games, hence my weakness!

By the way, one quick question: I suppose .jpg versions of the cards do not exist, right?
What do you mean? If you go into the images section there are pictures of the cards there. Also I know over there it takes awhile for you to catch up on the releases, but I know you will enjoy the game. Since day 1 that I've gotten it, me n my friends play it non stop.

Within the first week of getting it, we played it about 50+ times. Dark City.is definitely something you would want to get. Also after you get used to the game, change the difficulty of it. We currently play with all 11 scheme twists unless the one scheme needs 3 next to.it at start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I meant individual .jpg for each card. I have seen some images but not clear scans of individual cards

Wow...50 plays in 1 week..;that's quite a lot!

I also plan on using some of the custom cards I have seen in the forums as some of them look gorgeous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
lillumultipass wrote:
I also plan on using some of the custom cards I have seen in the forums as some of them look gorgeous!
Shameless plug http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/994403/plan-b-difficulty-and... working on adding a new type of card that gets shuffled into the Villain deck (you won't know when they will appear) to add even more twists and turns.

Have fun with the game when you get it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dirk
msg tools
While the OP got the game, hopefully he will post his opinion on the depth...

I have only played a few solo games with the base set only (heard expansions add some difficulty).

From what I have seen so far, it is comparable to dominion "depth" wise. It is a different flavor but lots of similar mechanics, like trying to cycle through your deck or get rid of "weak" beginner cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Spider-Man fanMicrobadge: Resident Evil Deck Building Game fanMicrobadge: Enchanters fanMicrobadge: Rebuilding the Infinity EngineMicrobadge: Legendary fan
lillumultipass wrote:
I meant individual .jpg for each card. I have seen some images but not clear scans of individual cards
I've browsed through the gallery on BGG, but it doesn't seem to be organized very well and aside from some cool custom cards, I didn't really find individual scans of each official card.

I find it very helpful to have access to scans of the cards when discussing them here, so I'm in the process of doing this. I have all of the Hero Cards (except for Fantastic Four Expansion) posted on my blog. I'm working on Villains, Masterminds & Schemes next.

http://spidermangeek78.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/legendary_ma...

You guys are welcome to link to them if needed.

-Edit-
Villains:
http://spidermangeek78.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/legendary_ma...

Masterminds & Schemes:
http://spidermangeek78.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/legedendary_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls