Subject: Naval rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: A Victory Lost fanMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: A Victory Denied fan
2 questions came up in our game last night

If France takes Naples what happens to the Naples fleet.

The bigger one is if a Fleet starts in a blockading square and attacks the fort and either wins or draws the one round battle can they use the remaining movement points to attack the port again.

We think not but the rules lack any clarification in this area (as in others)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weinstein
South Africa
Bellville
Western Cape
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
The Naples fleet is removed from play. See 18.1 the 2nd last paragraph "The combat units of the conquered minor nation as well as its fleets present on the map are destroyed." And as all minor fleets are "dot" units, they cannot be rebuilt. (As per the unit information on page 3)

As far as your 2nd question goes: As far as I understand it, you don't use movement points to fight successive rounds of naval combat. You fight till you lose, or decide to retreat if drawn. (Inactive player 1st in the latter case.) Although I can see what you are referring to, for in a port combat (17.3.3) the inactive player can opt to retreat and just remain being blockaded. I think in this instance one must be guided by the last paragraph of Rule 17.3.3 "If the defender loses the battle, he remains in the port under blockade; the victorious attacker remains in the blockade box or may continue his movement into another zone." Doesn't say you may use remaining movement points to attack again.

Hope this helps; I'm still waiting on answers on my two previous postings....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: A Victory Lost fanMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: A Victory Denied fan
Mike,

Thanks that does help

They were our guesses but good to hear someone else reads it the same way.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
A follow up question - if a Squadron is beaten off on a Port attack can they go elsewhere with remaining movement points to attack another port or is that it for that activation. From your reply I assume they cannot attack again for this card, they must await activiation via another card to attack any port.

Also the Naval rules seems a bit ahistorical.

A killer stack of British fleets (+7) can go around a beat up all of the ports in successive years - this doesn't seem right.

Surely each port should have a die bonus to make it more dangerous.

Also there should be an incentive for the French to try and break the Continental Blockade otherwise the naval actions are perifiral to the point of being irrelevant

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
'Once a squadron is activated, it can spend its movement factor in
the following manner but must respect the stacking limits at all
times; each movement point allows it to:
●● Enter or leave a friendly port,
●● Move to another adjacent maritime zone,
●● Enter an enemy blockade box or an enemy port,
●● Disembark units in an enemy port whether occupied or not
by enemy units.
Moving directly into an enemy port therefore costs 2 movement
points, plus 1MP to make an amphibious attack if needed.'

This rule lacks clarity - why does it cost 2 movement points to enter an enemy port??

From where are you moving.

The bullit point above implies it is only 1 movement point to enter an enemy port. Is it suggesting that you enter the blockade box and then the port itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weinstein
South Africa
Bellville
Western Cape
flag msg tools
Geoff
If an active Squadron loses, its activation ends. I would gather that it's the same whether you lost in a sea zone or in a port. The difference is that you are limited to one round only in a port. (As per that last sentence of 17.3.3)So, I would imagine that the active player can continue after a port victory, attacking enemy fleets in sea zones and/or ports. (Just not the same port in the same activation.)

After a quick glance at the map, it would appear that most ports have fortresses. (Well, most French & Spanish ones in any event.) So you are already looking at an extra die for the defender in port battles(Remember, each level of fortress gives you 1 extra die.)Perhaps not so easy to attack a strong Squadron there; you might possibly face 4 dice.

As to an incentive for the French to break out of all the blockaded ports; I'm yet to find one as well. Maybe we'll stumble on one as we play more. I'm only on my 2nd game...
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weinstein
South Africa
Bellville
Western Cape
flag msg tools
Geoff
Sorry, posted before I got to your 2nd question. It would appear that to enter an enemy port, you have to do so through the blockade box. So, if you just want to blockade, it's only 1mp. To attack the enemy fleets in a port, would be 2 mp's. Why do I seem to recall that "Empires in Arms" also treated blockade boxes & ports in the same manner?

In both these cases you are moving from the adjacent sea zone.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Thanks again

I thought it meant you went through the blockade box - it just is not clear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls