Subject: DT 3/4 Player Learning Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced some friends of mine to Dungeon Twister this weekend by breaking out both the base set and the 3/4 expansion for my normal Saturday group. The four players - John, Amos, Jen and Alison - run the gamut of perspectives on gaming, and I wanted to see if all four of them enjoyed the game.

Four Player is a fun way to learn the game - the fact that I only had the French version of the game (and expansion) with me meant that I needed to be on-hand for rules questions (of which there were none).

The first couple of turns were somewhat tenative, as players blindly felt their way into the maze. It was late into the second turn before the last room was revealed in the center of the plus-shaped maze.

All four players placed their own tokens along their own starting lines, with very little mixing in the middle four rooms. Only one player put his Wizard and his Fireball Wand in the same room.

Alison, the serious gamer, twigged first to some strategy during the first round. "Wait," she asked me, "If I play my three, then John can only play his four, right? Because I don't want him having five actions, yet."

John, the hard-core gamer of the four, was the second to catch on. "When I reveal this room, can I put my Mekanork directly on the Rotation Gear?"

Amos, the social gamer, struggled at first, but was soon locked into a Rotation Battle with John, as both of their Mekanorks were on rotation gears for the same room pair.

Jen, the casual gamer, suffered the first casualty, as John's Magician Fireballed her Troll out of existence for the first score on the board.

After about an hour of random meandering across the board, several of the players simultaneously realized a couple of quick ways to score points - Alison's Goblin dropped the rope he'd been carrying, grabbed the treasure, and scampered across Jen's starting line for three points.

John responded by squashing one of Jen's characters (the Wall-Walker, IIRC) with his Troll, aided by his Thief.

Less than three turns later, it was John with four, Alison with four, Amos with two and Jen with ... none. John dropped his four-action card. His first action was to rotate the room he and Amos had been fighting over for the whole game, moving the corner with his wall-walker and his thief adjacent to Amos's starting line. Two AP's later, and both characters had escaped the maze, bringing John to the 6 VP's necessary for a win in a 3/4 Player game.

All four players seemed to enjoy the game. I was even asked, "Is there a two-player version?" I explained the differences in two player, and showed off the other expansions.

I can't wait until 3/4 comes out in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.