Subject: Help me be better rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Durst
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Arcane Wonders "Mage Wars" Contest participantMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Nations fan - Nikola Tesla
Some background. I have played Ascension, Thunderstone, Dominion etc so I am not new to deckbuilders. I consider this game an Ascension clone with superhero skin which is fine since I enjoy Ascension when I want something light. However, in the couple games (4-5 player games) I have played of this, I have been absolutely destroyed. I don't mean just not winning or coming in second, but coming in dead last every time and just being out of the game by turn 3-4 with no way to catch up.

My first game, I never got off the ground it seemed and at the end of the game, none of my cards cost more than 4 power (and I only had 1 4 power card). I never could get my power high enough from all the attacks plus others buying the only cards I could use. I think I had 5-6 kicks in there at the end. This was a longer variant we were playing too with all the Supervillains mixed into the deck so it was quite excrutiating to watch others go through 8+ cards on their turn and 10-15 power when I could never scrape together more than 4-5 on my turn.

Second game was last night and again, never got off the ground and saw others getting mega hands.

This is not a whine I really do want to like this game but I do not understand why I have been absolutely brutalized in the games I have played. It also was not an instance of everybody at the table knowing the game more since we had 2-3 newbies each time (including me). It just seems like a runaway freight train leader problem and was looking for advice before I swear this game off forever (which I never do).

TLDR: Can't seem to compete in this game at all, need advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think a 4-5 player game is very luck dependent. You cannot control what will be in the center row at all and can end up in a position as yours.

What helps:
Picking a hero that grants extra power easily even with "bad" cards.
Picking defense cards when possible.
Try to get cards with synergies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I met my spouse playing gamesMicrobadge: Cortex Plus fanMicrobadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff fan
Sometimes it can be a very luck-based game, I'm afraid. That stated, there's much to be said for balancing between playing to the strengths of your character and being opportunistic as to what's in the Line-Up.
Without actually seeing what you were doing, I don't know what you were doing "wrong", but my general advice is:
-Don't feel you MUST buy something just because you can
-Deck-thinning is great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Geek Allstars fanMicrobadge: Five Tribes fanMicrobadge: Imperial Settlers fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names Fan
TBH and IMHO 2-3player is for strategy (like in Ascension) and 4-5 player is more for the sheer fun of playing a game and not caring much who wins or loses.

If u are truly just trying to win on four player the start with the better accelerating heroes (Aquaman >wonder woman > Supes or Bats. They will help you the fastest with most every board and the % of getting something that will help you is high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Arcane Wonders "Mage Wars" Contest participantMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Nations fan - Nikola Tesla
GeekJock wrote:
TBH and IMHO 2-3player is for strategy (like in Ascension) and 4-5 player is more for the sheer fun of playing a game and not caring much who wins or loses.

If u are truly just trying to win on four player the start with the better accelerating heroes (Aquaman >wonder woman > Supes or Bats. They will help you the fastest with most every board and the % of getting something that will help you is high.
I was not playing this game with the intention of winning per se (though that is always nice). Rather, my problem is that it just was not fun to play being that far behind. I have no issue losing games if I at least feel like I have a chance of being competitive. I just was not competitive past turn 3 in either game and it was just a horrible gaming experience which is atypical for me (for example, I love playing Through the Ages but I have l0st the last 4-5 games to my buddy but still had fun since I was competitive throughout).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play with red!Microbadge: 2015 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Risk Legacy fan - I Opened the Do Not Open. Ever. packetMicrobadge: Iowa State UniversityMicrobadge: Wedge Antilles fan
A few tips:

If trying to stay on script of your hero, realize that not all cards are worth getting even if it triggers your hero's power. Even though Superman would get +1 power from X-ray Vision, I almost universally hate that card in a Superman deck.

Power density - Cards that provide more power than average for a card of that cost are good, even if they don't match your hero. Catwoman, Gorilla Grodd, Doomsday for example.

Avoid cards that only provide +1 power unless they give a good effect like deck thinning or getting cards from your graveyard like Nth Metal and Robin. Buying cards like Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Riddler, and even Two Face are almost never worth buying unless you have someone like Martian Manhunter or maybe Wonder Woman.

Good Defense cards like Bullet Proof and Cape & Cowl are good even if your Hero doesn't care about those card types.

Speaking of that, don't be afraid to go off script. I've won games as Batman by getting a location that works for other card types and getting more of those types than equipment.

Combos, combos, combos. Robin-Bat Signal-High-Tech Hero is always fun.

Deck thinning cards like Nth Metal are good and don't be afraid to destroy Punches.

Hate buying. Knowing who has the Suicide Squads and preventing them from getting more than 2 is good. Also blocking the next player's obvious buy as long as the card is decent for you never hurts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I met my spouse playing gamesMicrobadge: Cortex Plus fanMicrobadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff fan
Absolutely don't be afraid to destroy Punches. Obviously, you should destroy Weaknesses or Vulnerabilities for preference, but if you can, Punches should be gone gone gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play with purple!Microbadge: Infinity Warcors - Reporting from the Battlefield Microbadge: I love VenezuelaMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (third edition) fanMicrobadge: I like sharing photos with Instagram.
airsonist wrote:
I think a 4-5 player game is very luck dependent. You cannot control what will be in the center row at all and can end up in a position as yours.
+1 the ramdoness of the game goes up like in quarriors or ascention with full house of players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
houjix1138 wrote:
Buying cards like Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Riddler, and even Two Face are almost never worth buying...
They're also good if you have Arkham Asylum.

That said, Riddler and Two Face can work well for you.

Two Face combos nicely with Nth Metal. It's a very low-cost combo that can help you out. Just remember to play Two Face first.

Riddler, we've gone back and forth on. Yes, you're buying blind, but if the lineup is mediocre, odds are that Riddler is going to pay off. Paying 3 points for a random card will usually give you at least a card worth three points. On average, when I use it I usually end up spending three points for an average 4-5 cost card. Sometimes you get a Starro or a Man of Steel. Heck sometimes you get a Suicide Squad (there's always a rush for those in our games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Gislef wrote:
Two Face combos nicely with Nth Metal. It's a very low-cost combo that can help you out. Just remember to play Two Face first.)
Surely you mean play Nth Metal first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coyote81 aka Token
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Legendary fan - S.H.I.E.L.D. TeamMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fan
So some general tips that I haven't seen said.

-I disagree with one of the above posts, if playing 4-5 players, x-ray vision (and every card that affects all opponents) is a very good card, because the chances of you hitting one of your opponents good cards sky rockets.

-Don't forget to by the Green Arrow and Batman card that give you 5vps for having 4 other cards of the same type. These are a major steal and you should plan on getting 4 heroes and 4 equipment every game so you can purchase these. A lot of people overlook them due to them not being better then a kick for advancing your progress, but they are worth as much as a super-villian who costs twice as much. Don't pass on these.

-With the above in mind still, stick to your guns for whatever hero your playing. Your only real advantage over your opponent is getting more out of your hero's abilities then they are out of theirs.

-With that many people playing, pass on suicide squads, just not worth your time. Riddler is actually pretty good for those moments when the lineup just sucks. Defense cards can be great, but don't buy too many, your just wasting your time when you could be buying cards that make your other turns better.

-Deck thinning early is amazing and by itself can win games. As someone else stated, don't be afraid to destroy punches when you get a chance. I would even give up purchasing a card to destroy one, as long as the card you could purchase isn't too good.

-Also don't pass on the heroe cards that gain all cards from the lineup or gets back all cards from your discard. (my group, including me, think Man of Steel is too good, we've changed him to retrieve only 2 superpowers)

-Lastly: If you happen to be seated right before someone who is doing really well. Remember that purchasing tons of cards from the middle actually helps them more often then hurts them. I will spend turn where I take my 9 power, decide nothing in the middle is that good. So I just buy 3 kicks so that the next player gets screwed as well. you may not be able to screw everyone, but screwing over one person is one less you have to compete against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
badge
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
Microbadge: 1066, Tears to Many Mothers fanMicrobadge: 1565, St. Elmo's Pay fanMicrobadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fanMicrobadge: 1565, St. Elmo's Pay fanMicrobadge: Lifeform fan
Coyote81 wrote:
So some general tips that I haven't seen said.
Loads of really good advice here. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls