Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi -

I guess I'm just being dense this morning, since no one else has asked this --- but what does "Each location in the staging area gets +2 quest points" mean? Is that a reference to threat? Is it some other mechanic?

thanks,
-TR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Quest Points refers to the amount of progress required to explore the location, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its the progress points. This just makes it harder to use cards like Northern Tracker and Asfaloth to get rid of locations in the staging area
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
So that begs the following questions:

1. Do the locations in the staging area, once travel to, lose those quest points. For example, Store house has 2 quest points. due to Asfaloth or Norther Tracker it has three progress tokens. If it is traveled to, is it automatically explored, having more than two progress tokens, or does the effect continue until it is out of play, meaning that it still needs another one token?

2. Similarly, does the effect stay if Roots of Mindolluin is travelled to? ...or has 5 progress tokens applied to itself?

3. Does this effect only apply to cards in play when Roots of Mindolluin is revealed or all locations as long as it is in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
PaulRadagast wrote:
So that begs the following questions:

1. Do the locations in the staging area, once travel to, lose those quest points. For example, Store house has 2 quest points. due to Asfaloth or Norther Tracker it has three progress tokens. If it is traveled to, is it automatically explored, having more than two progress tokens, or does the effect continue until it is out of play, meaning that it still needs another one token?

2. Similarly, does the effect stay if Roots of Mindolluin is travelled to? ...or has 5 progress tokens applied to itself?

3. Does this effect only apply to cards in play when Roots of Mindolluin is revealed or all locations as long as it is in play?

1) If it's not in the staging area, it is not a location in the staging area, and so it would be explored immediately. Progress is not discarded during the travel phase.

2) If Roots of Mindolluin is not in the staging area, it is not a location in the staging area, and so the effect does not apply to itself at that point.

3) If the effect does not say 'when revealed' or other text implying that it is a one-off, it can be assumed to be a passive effect which is always in effect while it is in play.

Also, that's not what 'begging the question' means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
DaMullet wrote:

2) If Roots of Mindolluin is not in the staging area, it is not a location in the staging area, and so the effect does not apply to itself at that point.

Also, that's not what 'begging the question' means.

2) Yes, but if Roots of Mindolluin is traveled to, do other locations still in the staging area still get +2?

"Many English speakers use "begs the question" to mean "raises the question", "evades the question", or even "ignores the question", and follow that phrase with the question, for example: "this year's deficit is half a trillion dollars, which begs the question: how are we ever going to balance the budget?" Apart from philosophical, logical, grammatical and legal contexts, some authorities deem such usage to no longer be mistaken.[5][6][7][24][25]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question#Modern_usa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
PaulRadagast wrote:

2) Yes, but if Roots of Mindolluin is traveled to, do other locations still in the staging area still get +2?

See 3), above.

And as for "usage determines meaning", I don't buy that alternative definition for "Literally" as "Figuratively", either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! This was baffling me as well. I had NO idea what quest points on a location were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.