Empire Builder» Forums » General

Subject: number of players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played these crayon rails with 2 or 3. Is there more jockying for position/cities with a full complement of players? It seems like there would be problems getting cut off from the smaller cites and also the increased posiblity of commodity chips running out. Or, rather, does it have the same feel regardless of the number of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the game has a lot more interaction with more players. It also takes longer with more players, though if you're enjoying it, that can be a plus. I still have fond memories of an 11-player game a number of years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different of the series are better for different numbers of players. For example, basic Empire Builder shines with 4, five is okay, and six too aggravating. 2 or 3 is a little more heavily solitaire.

Nippon rails gets mean with 4.. 3 works pretty well.

etc.

I definitely think 4 players is typically more interesting and competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is definitely more interaction with more players, particularly once you get four or more. Once you get four players, you start having competition for both the small and medium sized cities. As you noted, another effect of having more players is that it is much more likely that some commodity chips will run out -- particularly if there are multiple people carrying the same thing around on spec.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.