Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: There can be no peace until they renounce their Rabbit god and accept our Duck god.Microbadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Stars Without Number RPG fanMicrobadge: University of Virginia
Initial notes:
It has been a long time since I played wargames. I had some solo plays in early 1980s, but I never found kindred souls, and other interests gradually took over my wargaming hobby. It’s only been within the last year that I have rediscovered that there is still a vibrant wargaming community and industry, thanks to the wonders of the internet. As a result of this community, I have been sucked into wargaming again.

My story is probably familiar to many – I realized there were many very, very interesting games out there, and went on a bit of buying binge. This initial binge has subsided (although I still have way too many preorders), and I decided I needed to buckle down and play. At the time, there was a lot of posturing in North Korea. I’ve also always like modern warfare games, so my choice to return to wargaming was Next War: Korea. Perhaps not the smartest choice, as the game is somewhat complex. I like complexity, though, so I pressed on. The biggest impact of the complexity (which is actually not too bad for the standard rules) is the length of time I’ve spent learning the rules and playing the first scenario. The other reason this is taking me so long is I wanted to do a session report so I would have notes on how and why I made various moves and mistakes – this document is the result.

Also, I think I was able to capture the fun I was having and how much I like this game in this document. In short, I love this game and I would highly recommend it. I decided to submit it to BGG when it got to be more than 15 pages long (in MS Word) and I had just finished Game Turn 1. The way I look at it, the time spent on the game and length of this document mean I have had many hours of enjoyment of the game so far, and likely many to come.

I fully expect I have made rules or gross strategy errors – if you spot one, please let me know. This is all part of my learning process. Hopefully my mistakes can someday help another person learning the game.

Setup:
I decided to play the game on VASSAL because I am not allowed to leave games setup for more than a week. blush

During setup, there were some issues that have taken me some time to figure out. One, I could not figure the starting hex for the counters without a hex number on them, like the 17 Sniper Bde (Brigde) for the DPRK (North Korean Player) (most counters tell you where they start -- see figure below in the red box). I figured this one out by reading some of the later scenarios, where it is stated that the units without a starting hex can be setup anywhere in your country. I also found them in the staging box for Vassal setup, along with the helicopters (which I saw could be started on any friendly airbase), so that finally made sense.

Second issue -- the Seoul Train setup in the Vassal module does not place the ROK (South Korean) I corps, 2nd brigade on the map in hex 2819. Not sure why. I think it should be there. I added it.

Here is what my initial setup looked like.

Starting Game Turn 1 (GT1)
The DPRK (North Korean) player has initiative in GT1 (and 2) per the scenario, so he gets to pick weather. Since DPRK has air superiority in GT1, I think he will pick clear weather to maximize this advantage. I like the rule where the player “initiating” the conflict gets to pick the weather, to represent the fact that the aggressor could wait for a certain type of weather before attacking.

I setup the airmobile pts for GT1:

Ok, what are Airmobile pts? Ok, I think I see. These are the points used to move airmobile units. They can be lost just like air points from Air Defense Fire (or ADF, see 6.6.1.1). So this scenario is telling me that the DPRK gets 2 airmobile pts. In the first GT, DPRK gets 3 air points and ROK(South Korea) gets 1, so I set the chart above.

There is no sea control in this scenario. Whew -- I had forgotten my sea bands. That was a lame attempt to be funny.

Woohoo, I get to move now. Well the DPRK does, as the initiative player. I think I want to attack the ROK 5th Infantry Division (ID) in hex 3017 (DPRK needs to keep 2 stacking pts in 2916 until this unit is eliminated). So, let's try to airdrop the 38 Abn Bde (Airborne Brigade) in hex 3117. Oops, did not have the 38 Abn Bde on a air base. Since I am playing this solo, I give myself a redo on the setup. I can see that is an important thing to remember when placing Abn units. Ok, so I am going to try an air drop at hex 3117. It is within two hexes of an airbase, so I get a -2 DRM (Die Roll Modifier). I decide to use 1 air point to give a +1 DRM, for a net -1 DRM (I move the air point counter to "2"). I roll a 0. Crap. That means Abort(-1)* => a step loss for this unit is elimination. Double crap.

Imagine it though.. North Korean officers, sweat on their brows, briefing the airborne troops. Silently filing to the planes. Meanwhile, at an airfield just outside the DMZ (De-Militarized Zone) in the ROK, a young radar operator spots something weird. Should he say something? Nine times out of ten he would brush it off. But tonight, he calls the watch officer over. A patrol is sent out.. Forces are mobilized. Anti-aircraft batteries spin up.. And the unsuspecting DPRK soldiers are brought down in torrents of flame before they even get a chance to prove their mettle in direct combat. I think I am really starting to like this game.

Ok, so let's keep moving the DPRK units. I think I want to get as many DPRK units to the front as I can, without violating stacking limits and having them get in each others way. So I am starting to plan my move, and I am thinking of using some of my airmobile points. Hey, I notice that some units are airmobile capable? Does that mean air mobile points can only be used for air mobile capable units? Yes, it does -- 8.5.4.1 (I found it by searching in the BGG forum -- Mitchell Land is like all over it answering all sorts of rules questions. That makes me quite happy (and makes me think I need to pre-order a 2nd copy of NW: Taiwan, maybe even 2 more )).

Back to planning. Ok, I can probably get some of those mech units to the DMZ on roads for sure. And I can use my Airmobile points to move the Light Infantry. Let's check the victory conditions -- given it is only 4 turns long, I will need to plan carefully. Ahh..I can almost smell the napalm.

We should check on the special capabilities of those LI units. Hmm, infiltration movement.. interesting, but not relevant yet. They can ignore zone of control restrictions, except in flat or flat woods hexes.. maybe useful. Ok, I get distracted by figuring out what the hexes are with white connectors across water.. what are these?

Hmm, they are ACV hexes, GSR section 15.1. Air cushioned vehicle hexes?? Haha.. I love this game. It just sounds so much like something a mad scientist / evil dictator would make for his army. I am sure there is probably a basis for thinking the DPRK has some, but I just find it cool they are in the game. My first "wargame" was GEV.. and now I just need to wipe this spec of dirt from my eye .. ok.

Ok, let's get moving. Let's move some of the big old infantry to the front:

Wait .. let me move the stuff that can be in position to attack first so I don't clog up the roads.. Ok, so I am moving my units from all over the DPRK to the front, mostly using roads and highways. I stop for a moment to imagine the scene... tanks, AFVs, clouds of smoke and fumes.

Wait a minute, I forgot about the tunnel markers. I can play them in any movement phase of GT1 in an enemy occupied ROK hex that is adjacent to the DMZ border. They also give me a temporary stacking limit of 6 instead of 4 in the 2 hexes adjacent to the tunnel marker. I am going to play one on hex 3017 and one on hex 2818.

Hmm, I also forgot about GSR 2.2 +1 MP cost for entering a DMZ hex on GT1. I am pretty sure I had enough extra MP for these moves that it is not applicable, but this is a critical rule to remember for the next game.

Edit: This +1 MP penalty only applies to entering an enemy DMZ hex -- see Mitchell Land's response below

Ok, let's decide how/where to move my LI units, remembering I have 2 airmobile points. I am going to move two units across the ROK DMZ, and try to focus on eliminating the ROK 5th ID.

However, this units are subject to ADF with firing side having air advantage. I have a DRM of -2 for a nearby airfield. I roll the first unit and I get a 3. -2 DRM means 1, and the result is abort -- unit has to move back to hex 2909, it's starting hex. It's that same damn airfield again. I am seriously channeling some evil dictator, I want to wipe that airfield off the face of the earth!! For the 2nd unit, I roll a 1. -2 DRM means step loss. ARRRRGH. I don't care what it costs, that airfield will be rubble!!! This time, unlike with the paradrop, I lose an air mobile pt too. So the air points game track looks like this:

Ok, I think I have done all the moves I can, and here is what it looks like:

Onto combat! Let's look at the action around the 5th ID:

I spent a long time wondering where the Combat Results Table (CRT) was in the Vassal module for this game. Then, as I thought about it, I wondered if they purposely did not include it to ensure folks had bought the game. Seemed to make sense. I did some looking on BGG, and could not find the answer quickly. Later, I happened to do a google search on “Vassal Module Next War Korea Missing CRT” and one of the top results was a link to the BGG forum where my question was answered as I expected – yes it was purposely left out. This shows I am slow, but not completely stupid. It also taught me a good trick – search BGG (and probably CSW?) with google. The search on BGG does not seem to work as well.

The 3 DPRK units in the "exploded out view" in VASSAL, above, are attacking. There is a tunnel marker under the ROK 5th ID / VI corps. Attacker strength is 18. Defense is 8. Odds round down to 2:1 + attacker gets a -1 DRM for the round down. Tunnels give -2 DRM. The defender is in a fortification hex, so he gets +1 DRM (it's on the map in the hex!). There is also a +1 extra DRM for the DMZ (GSR-Game Specific Rules 2.2). This is an important battle, so I am going to allocate 2 air points (all of them) to the DPRK side and 1 to the ROK side. Each of these missions is subject to ADF. For the DPRK player, the DRM is -2 for the airbase which must be demolished, and I roll a 6.. finally, a successful air mission. The ROK gets +3 for being in the home country and -1 for being next to a mechanized unit, for a net of +2. I roll a 9.. success. The DPRK player is also going to send in the Mi-24 helicopters. ADF with DRM of -2.. and I roll a 6.. success. So Air support gets me -3 for the DPRK and +1 for the ROK. This hex is not a place I'd like to be right now .. I am imagining some of the cut scenes from war video games that show ridiculous amounts of air power pounding a small area. Net DRM is -2-1+1+1-3+1=-3! Long live evil dictators. So I go to the CRT with 2:1 odd, terrain is rough woods -- column 8 to start. Now I look at efficiency -- all units are efficiency=5-- no column shift (CS) here. Attack into a fortification shifts 2 to the left. Scenario special rule 3 -- surprise! gives 1 column shift right. So I am in column 7. with a -4 DRM. I roll a 4, with a -3 DRM, becomes 1. Ha! The result is -/1R, So the ROK unit should take a step loss and retreat.

Edit 1: The +3 I applied to the ROK air support for it being in the home country was wrong -- this +3 DRM only applies to air transport.

Edit 2: The DMZ DRM is +1 only, and only the units in there own DMZ fortification hexes get to use them. If an enemy unit enters an opposing fortification hex, it gets no benefit (fortification is destroyed when hex control changes)

Forgot that a unit on a fortification hex can try to ignore a retreat if it does an efficiency check (roll lower than efficiency to pass, or is it lower than or equal to?).. Hmm is that before or after the step loss? I would guess it is after the step loss, logically. The efficiency of the ROK unit went from 5=>4 with the step loss. So the ROK player tries to ignore the retreat result, and rolls a 7, so it is academic. Unit has to retreat. However, it cannot retreat per the scenario rules, instead it is eliminated.

I can advance up to 4 stacking points into the unoccupied hex after combat, so I move them all in, so it looks like this (The Red Army is rolling into town! Insert derogatory song/reference to capitalist ROK pigs here!):

Next, I really want to make get rid of the 1D 1st corps infantry -- this would really put a hole in the ROK defenses. So I attack with everything I've got:

AS=19+13=32. DS=8. 4:1 odds! DRM: +1 from hex, +1 for own DMZ fortification for ROK. Hmm, I also need a +1 for multi-corps attacks, looks like I missed that above. Oh well. Other DRMs: -2 for tunnels, -1 for light infantry (not flat or flat woods). So my total DRM is 0. For column shifts: 2 to the left for fortification, 1 to the right for surprise. I am going to pick a LI for the efficiency check, so that gives me 1 CS right (6 vs 5 for ROK efficiency). No CS=0. Straight up 4:1 odds roll attacking into rough woods. I roll a 3 and get -/1R. So the ROK unit takes a step loss, but it can decide not to retreat since it is in a fortification hex. I am torn as to whether to try this. Holding this hex would slow the DPRK a bit, but would it be better to try to concentrate my forces? I think I will try to hold, and I roll a 9. Oh well, the units efficiency had dropped to 4, so it does not matter. Retreat! Since I am a fortified hex I retreat one hex. I am going to move the max 4 stacking pts in the vacated hex:

Final attack this segment against hex 2178. The DPRK has 3 units with a total AS=12. Defense strength is 4, so 3:1 odds with no remainder. I am also attacking with a “sniper” brigade, which can call in intrinsic helicopter support, but I need to check ADF. I don’t see any DRMs for the ADF, and I roll a 1. This gives me an Abort(-1) – but not loss of the asset. So no helicopters for the sniper brigade. Ahh, but wait! This is an attack across a river, so attack strength is halved, down to 6. So odds are 1.5:1 with no remainder. Attacking into flat woods, so no light infantry DRM. Also, I used a tunnel (DRM -2). +2 DRM for attacking in their home fortification. It is a multi-corps attack, so there is another +1 DRM. Efficiency of DPRK units is 6, ROK unit is 5. So 1 CS to thr right. 2 CS left for attacking fortification. 1 CS right for surprise. So I get a CS of zero and a DRM of +1. So I am in column 8 with a +1 DRM. I roll 1, with a +1 DRM, comes to 2. Then result is -/1R. Per the GSR, I need to take the step loss from the Combat Outpost (CO) unit, so it is eliminated. I can also try to ignore the retreat result, which I will do here. The units has an ER of 5 and I need a 5 or less to pass the efficiency check. I roll a 3, so the unit stays. There really is no place for it to retreat to anyway.. a river at your back with no road and being pummeled by your enemy. That’s not a place I’d want to be. I looked in the rules – since there is no place to retreat (you cannot retreat into another enemy ZOC unless that hex has friendly units, and only air mobile units can retreat across unbridged river hex sides), I would have had to take another step loss. Ok, so then I remove the moved and attacked markers, eliminate the CO, and now the situation at the end of the initiative Combat segment looks like this:

Next phase is Elite Reaction Movement – where any units with an effciency rating (ER) greater than 5 can move.. Ok, I’ve got those two heavies in Seoul that have an ER of 6. I’d really like to rebase the AH-1, but there is no air movement during the elite reaction move segment. Crap. Note to self – do not base ROK Helo’s here. Another note – why the hell didn’t I use the helos for combat support? Per 6.5.3, I could have used 1 per combat. D’oh.

Now I am playing the ROK and I’ve got to decide how to move the mechanized infantry.. very interesting. This is another aspect of wargames I like – the strategic puzzelry. The first part I like, by the way – is the simulation – the feeling that this is something that is really happening. And this happens even for fictional situations like this one.

Hmm, I just realized my retreat into hex 2819 has violated the stacking limits. It’s not clear if the stacking penalties apply (8.1.1.1), but I think they should.

So I’ve been stalling, puzzling out my ROK move. Quite an interesting situation. I see that stack of units in hex 3017 – they have a back door into Seoul! But I need the cover both approaches from Goyang, and I want to leave my defenders in an urban environment for the better defense. I do see that I will get the 1st BCT/ 2nd ID in 3121, but this is after the exploitation phases.. However, it is too big of a hole to ignore, and I can move the VII corps into fortifications/highlands up on my right flank + protect my airfield. So I will do that. I’ll also move the other Mechanized Infantry Division to the middle of Seoul, so it projects Zone of Control (ZOC) around the entry points to Seoul.

That ends the Elite Reaction Move Segment. Next up is Exploitation Move/Combat (Combat with a 2 left column shift). On this move, I will definitely move up some units, and I may try pounding out some attacks on hex 2819 (with the three ROK units) but when I looked at the odds, they did not look good. So I sit and I puzzle this out. Thinking about moves, it is tough to coordinate the movement of DPRK units with the stacking limits (if a hex meets it’s stacking limits you can move other units through it, but not using road movement – cool rule!). Also, I will try to get corps together to avoid the multi corps DRM, if possible. I will move the 81st LI brigade off the road so it easier to bring up the infantry from the north. Ideally, I’d like to move this unit to hex 2619, but the +1 MP on GT1 for entering a DMZ hex means this would take 6 MP. Anyway, here is how it ends up after exploitation move.

Now, I looked at the odds for attacking the 3 ROK units in Munsan, and it was not great, especially across a river hex (attack strength halved, even though there is a bridge). So I think I will focus on DESTROYING the ROK 101st Infantry brigade. I am going to attack from 3 hexes, -1 DRM. Multi corps is +1 DRM. Own DMZ fortification is +1 and +1 for +2 DRM. Tunnels are -2. Attacking into flat woods so no Light Infantry DRM. Attacker strength is 46. Defense is 2. 23:1 odds. Might be a bit of overkill. Surprise is 1 CS right, for this phase there is a 2 CS left penalty, fortification is 2 CS left. Efficiency advantage is 1 CS right. So 2 CS left net, and 0 DRM. Oh, I bet I get the remainder DRM, so -1. So I am in column 11 with a DRM of -1. I roll a 5, so 4 on the CRT gives: -/1. One step loss? Man, all that firepower and that’s it. Phew. Ok, I think I’m going to end this phase, I don’t have any other attacks to do.

Next phase is the reaction move phase. Hey I also get some US infantry! I get to put the 2nd ID on N3121 having spent 1 MP. Wow, I am thinking, as the ROK player, things still look tight. I am going to make some conservative moves to protect Seoul, and readjust 1 Infantry division along the front (I am using the move 1 hex using all MP even when in a ZOC rule to move the 1st ID / 1 Corps).

Now the question is, should I do reaction counter attacks? Let’s look at some odds. Attacking on the right would be 10/2 (across a river) vs 16 DS. 1:4 odds with a remainder into rough – but 1:3 is the lowest on the CRT, so no remainder DRM. +1 DRM for DMZ hex, but no DRM for own DMZ hex. Attack into fortification is 2 CS left but efficiency difference is one CS right. So I am in column 4 with a +1 DRM. Yuck. No. My other attack options are almost as bad. I’m going to channel Pete Longstreet and let them attack me. So that ends the reaction attack phase.

Edit: The DPRK units do not get any of the fortification benefits of the ROK DMZ hexes -- this is VERY IMPORTANT! This is probably the biggest mistake I made. Oh well, I am not going to go back and redo it now. See Mitchell Land's post below for details.

Next up are the first player move / attack (DPRK) and second player move/attack(ROK). Ok, for the DPRK, I need to break through the ROK line. I bringing the attack straight south into Munsan. DS=15. ROK is going to use helo combat support (1 pt) – so we need to roll for ADF. +3 DRM for being in home country, but -1 DRM for near a mechanized infantry/armor unit of the DPRK. I roll a zero => 2, which gives Abort (-1) – no effect on the battle, but at least I don’t lose the asset. AS=20/2=10, rounding up. 1:2 odds, with remainder (-1 DRM). +1 DRM for multicorps attack. Into marsh with fortification -- +2 DRM for DMZ fort. 2 CS left for fortification, 1 CS right for surprise, +2 DRM, 1 CS left, 1:2 odds into marsh. I’m in column 4. But I got more units coming up, so let’s send in the cannon fodder! I roll a 5 => 7 on the CRT, result is 1/1. I can take it. Step loss for each side, from highest efficiency unit (used for the efficency column shift). That results in my effciency 6 unit for the DPRK being eliminated.

Ok, another attack on the eastern flank. AS=18/2 = 9. DS=11. 1:2 odds with remainder. +2 DRM for “home” DMZ fortification. CS => 2 left for fortification, 1 left for efficiency delta, 1 right for surprise. The ROK player decides to allocate 1 helo to the attack, so let’s check ADF. +3 DRM for being in home country, but -1 DRM for near a mechanized infantry/armor unit of the DPRK. So +2 DRM, rolling in the firing side has advantage column. I roll a 9 .. success! The DPRK also allocates 1 helo to the attack – here in the flying side has air superiority, but with a -3 DRM for airfield and mechanized infantry nearby. I roll a 7.. success. But the helo DRMs net zero! So we are left with a DRM of +1 and 2 left CS for 1:2 odds attacking into highlands. Jeez. Column 2. I roll a 6=>7. Capitalist Pig Dice! Result is 2/1. Well, at least I made them bleed. The ROK unit loses a step, and the DPRK takes 2 step losses. I cannot take both step losses from a single unit, the rules say I need to distribute them as evenly as possible. Makes sense.

Finally, lets attack the 101st ROK Infantry Brigade again. I am going to use a single corps since the DS of the unit is only 1. AS=12. 12:1 => into flat woods. -1 DRM for remainder. +2 DRM for own DMZ defense. 2 CS left for attacking a fortification, 1 CS right for surprise. -2 DRM for tunnels. So I get 1 CS left, DRM -1. I roll a 5 => 4 on the CRT, column 12, which gives 1/2R. The defending unit is destroyed (pretty tough for capitalists!), and there is a 1 step loss from attackers.

Edit: As noted below, since the defending units cannot take the entire step loss from the attack, I can reduce the attackers step loss!

So here is the situation at the end of the player 1 attack phase:

Now it is time for player 2 move / attack. I like having the DPRK attack across those river hexes, but my eastern flank is weak. I going to move the 9th ID/ I corps up via the roads.. wait. I can’t do that, there is 1 MP cost to enter a DMZ hex on GT1. That’s a lot of DMZ hexes. Ok, I’ll shift the front units around. No attacks, so that will end Player 2 move/attack phases.

Time for the Reorganization Phase. I spend 1 DPRK pt to recover 1 infantry step loss. No recovery points for the ROK. However, they do get the 2 2ND ID helo units, which I can put on any friendly airbase or airfield. It is worth noting if I want to recover a step loss, a unit cannot not be in an enemy ZOC – plan ahead! I remove tunnel markers, return helo units to normal positions and viola.. the end of GT1:

Recap and Impressions:
I hope this session report accomplishes a few things:
d10-1 Demonstrates the process I went through to learn the standard rules and play GT1 of the Seoul Train scenario, as a reference to those learning the rules
d10-2 Shows how much fun I had playing this game – I felt fully immersed in the conflict and there are a lot of interesting choices to make on both sides
d10-3 Shows how much I like the game – the rules generally make sense and have cool “chrome” that adds to the game, in my opinion.

Edits: I added some of the corrections Mitchell Land (Toadkillerdog) and Dave (boyinblue1) posted below. Also fixed 1 typo, and fixed 1 format error. All edits are in italics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
We are the primitive Aliens, oh yes we are.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Thanks, Aldie! - Yeah, I'm a suckup... So what?Microbadge: I Love BGG!Microbadge: BGG fan
We have Next War: Korea, but have not been able to play it yet. Good Lord, your session report was outstanding, I particularly enjoyed the decision process, explaining not only what you want to do but also why.

Remarkable session report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Vietnam WargamerMicrobadge: ATS - Advanced Tobruk System fanMicrobadge: Next War series fanMicrobadge: Wargamer
Fantastic read! I really appreciate the work you put into it.

There were a few things I noticed:

1 - "Hmm, I also forgot about GSR 2.2 +1 MP cost for entering a DMZ hex on GT1"

That extra cost is to enter an enemy DMZ hex.

2 - "The ROK gets +3 for being in the home country and -1 for being next to a mechanized"

The +3 is for Air Transport missions only, not close support.

3 - "The defender is in a fortification hex, so he gets +1 DRM (it's on the map in the hex!). There is also a +1 extra DRM for the DMZ (GSR-Game Specific Rules 2."

There's only one +1. The Fortification provides 2 column shifts left, it's the DMZ which provides the +1.

4 - When you talk about counterattacks: "Now the question is, should I do reaction counter attacks? Let’s look at some odds. Attacking on the right would be 10/2 (across a river) vs 16 DS. 1:4 odds with a remainder into rough – but 1:3 is the lowest on the CRT, so no remainder DRM. +1 DRM for DMZ hex, but no DRM for own DMZ hex. Attack into fortification is 2 CS left but efficiency difference is one CS right. So I am in column 4 with a +1 DRM"

The DPRK would not receive Fortification or DMZ benefits because they don't own them, primarily because hex control changes occur at the end of the turn, and, secondarily, because they are destroyed after control changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: There can be no peace until they renounce their Rabbit god and accept our Duck god.Microbadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Stars Without Number RPG fanMicrobadge: University of Virginia
Toadkillerdog wrote:
Fantastic read! I really appreciate the work you put into it.
Thanks!

Toadkillerdog wrote:
1 - "Hmm, I also forgot about GSR 2.2 +1 MP cost for entering a DMZ hex on GT1"

That extra cost is to enter an enemy DMZ hex.
Well, that makes a lot more sense.

Toadkillerdog wrote:
2 - "The ROK gets +3 for being in the home country and -1 for being next to a mechanized"

The +3 is for Air Transport missions only, not close support.
Ok, missed that one.

Toadkillerdog wrote:
3 - "The defender is in a fortification hex, so he gets +1 DRM (it's on the map in the hex!). There is also a +1 extra DRM for the DMZ (GSR-Game Specific Rules 2."

There's only one +1. The Fortification provides 2 column shifts left, it's the DMZ which provides the +1.
Ahh, so a unit in an opponents DRM hex only gets the column shift advantage for being in a fortified hex, no DRM? Oh wait -- looks like from your comment below the fortifications get destroyed, so no fortification are even left.

Toadkillerdog wrote:
4 - When you talk about counterattacks: "Now the question is, should I do reaction counter attacks? Let’s look at some odds. Attacking on the right would be 10/2 (across a river) vs 16 DS. 1:4 odds with a remainder into rough – but 1:3 is the lowest on the CRT, so no remainder DRM. +1 DRM for DMZ hex, but no DRM for own DMZ hex. Attack into fortification is 2 CS left but efficiency difference is one CS right. So I am in column 4 with a +1 DRM"

The DPRK would not receive Fortification or DMZ benefits because they don't own them, primarily because hex control changes occur at the end of the turn, and, secondarily, because they are destroyed after control changes.
Wow, I missed that one entirely. Thanks.

This is exactly why I posted this. Thanks Mitchell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Vietnam WargamerMicrobadge: ATS - Advanced Tobruk System fanMicrobadge: Next War series fanMicrobadge: Wargamer
No problem. You've done an excellent job capturing the essence of the system, and as others have related, it's good to both the why and why not of the decision making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in your final attack on the ROK 101st Brigade, you rolled a 1/2R result. However, according to 9.7.1.1, (Excess Combat Losses), since the ROK Brigade only has 1 step, it cannot fulfill its 2 step loss from the combat result, so you can reduce the DPRK step loss by 1 (to 0 steps).

The other thing I constantly forget about Fortified DMV hexes is that they deny road movement through them to the enemy, so the enemy has to pay MP costs based on the actual terrain of the hex. This effects movement and supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
boyinblue1 wrote:
Also, in your final attack on the ROK 101st Brigade, you rolled a 1/2R result. However, according to 9.7.1.1, (Excess Combat Losses), since the ROK Brigade only has 1 step, it cannot fulfill its 2 step loss from the combat result, so you can reduce the DPRK step loss by 1 (to 0 steps).

The other thing I constantly forget about Fortified DMV hexes is that they deny road movement through them to the enemy, so the enemy has to pay MP costs based on the actual terrain of the hex. This effects movement and supply.
Good catch. Note that, while this would not have affected that particular combat, the Excess Combat Rule is getting a slight nuance change in Next War: Taiwan:

9.7.1.1 Excess Combat Losses: If the final odds were in the 11, 12, or 13 column and the CRT calls for more step losses than the defender can satisfy, the attacker may reduce his losses in that combat by one.
If the attacker cannot satisfy all the step losses called for on the CRT or is completely eliminated, the defender may reduce his step losses by one regardless of the column on the CRT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
boyinblue1 wrote:

Good catch. Note that, while this would not have affected that particular combat, the Excess Combat Rule is getting a slight nuance change in Next War: Taiwan:

9.7.1.1 Excess Combat Losses: If the final odds were in the 11, 12, or 13 column and the CRT calls for more step losses than the defender can satisfy, the attacker may reduce his losses in that combat by one.
If the attacker cannot satisfy all the step losses called for on the CRT or is completely eliminated, the defender may reduce his step losses by one regardless of the column on the CRT.
Mitchell, so that is going to be a change in the game-specific rules and not the series rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
boyinblue1 wrote:

Nice catch, thanks. I do remember reading that rule and I forgot it in the heat of the action.

The note on the road movement in enemy DMZ hexes is also a good one to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
boyinblue1 wrote:
Toadkillerdog wrote:
boyinblue1 wrote:

Mitchell, so that is going to be a change in the game-specific rules and not the series rules?
No, that will be a series change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
boyinblue1 wrote:
Toadkillerdog wrote:
boyinblue1 wrote:

No, that will be a series change.
I like that change. It makes it easier for smaller units to sell themselves dearly on the defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Picayune
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic session report!

Bookmarked this one for when I finally get this game onto the table.

Thanks for sharing your decision making process too in the AAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls