BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommend some Euro games to bring to a desert island rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Background: This summer I'm going to be away from home for almost two months. I can feel the board game withdrawal kicking in already.

In an attempt to still get some interesting games in, I can bring a 2-3 games with me packed in the suitcase. What I'm looking for are Euro-style oard games that can be replayed over and over and still feel fresh.

I started a list with some of the possibilities I thought about, but I'd love to hear some more recommendations.

Euro Games To Bring To A Desert Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 or 3 games? Pah, you can do better than that. Without even trying, I managed to get something like eight games into two reasonably-sized game boxes over the last Strategicon.

The trick is to leave the boxes behind-- pack the games into nested ziplocks and pack them carefully.

Zooloretto Wurf takes almost no space once you switch to laminated score sheets. Consider a co-op like the original version of Red November in its tiny box.

Many of the Kosmos 2p games pack down to almost nothing as well.

There are a lot of middle-weight Euro's like Constantinopolis that are mostly empty box as long as you can find a good place to pack the board (although that one in particular, the board is almost superfluous IIRC, just need a way to keep score and maybe a laminated sheet for the roles).

Having said all that, you probably want a good mixture of breadth and depth, so games that never play the same way twice like Troyes are probably a great choice.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
etherton wrote:
2 or 3 games? Pah, you can do better than that. Without even trying, I managed to get something like eight games into two reasonably-sized game boxes over the last Strategicon.
Good point! I was thining of bringing the boxes because that's what I had to do for this Origins because I was trading the games away. But if we're just playing them, I might be able to do away with the boxes completely. That opens up options for sure.

Still, I don't want to go overboard. We're limited to 50lb per suitcase after all

Edit: I also need to leave some room for any of the board games we'll buy there. I'm hoping to at least pick up Castaways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game, hands down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
M√ľnster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike Duellum if your wife doesn't mind some conflict involved.
Perfect 2-player game. Medium weight in rules, but heavy in strategy.
Replay value very high at least for the first 30-50 games (which each take 1-2 hours).

Something a little lighter (Strategically and literally): Rapa Nui (Card game in small Kosmos 2-player Box (but 2-4p, good with 2)

or Targi (only 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for replayability, Agricola has to be on there.

You need a short dice game that is easy to teach others. Scripts and Scribes: The Dice Game is a fantastic game for this niche. It's actually a dice game with 2 different types of auctions built in. Great stuff packed into such a small package.

If you could ever get your hands on a copy of Goa, that is one of the best euro's around. It has a once around auction phase and an action phase. Because there are so many ways the tiles can come out, there is a ton of replayability.

Finally, Macao is another great euro with a ton of replayability due to the cards players can draft and activate. The mechanic used to obtain action cubes is just brilliant.

I see you already have a couple of games in your collection that would make your trip a good experience: Caylus and Notre Dame. I notice you have not rated Caylus. If that means you haven't played it, I highly recommend you learn that one and bring it with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
I suspect the wife won't go for Antike Duellum, but Targi is a definite yes. I just need to make sure it's released in the US before we leave.

pfctsqr wrote:
Well, for replayability, Agricola has to be on there.
It's probably a good suggestion, but I'm one of the rare breed of gamers who doesn't like Agricola at all

Quote:
If you could ever get your hands on a copy of Goa, that is one of the best euro's around. It has a once around auction phase and an action phase. Because there are so many ways the tiles can come out, there is a ton of replayability.
It's definitely up there in my want list. You're right, it could be highly replayable.

Quote:
I see you already have a couple of games in your collection that would make your trip a good experience: Caylus and Notre Dame. I notice you have not rated Caylus. If that means you haven't played it, I highly recommend you learn that one and bring it with you.
Notre Dame is one of our favorites, so that might make it in the luggage (easy to store without the box too). We haven't played Caylus yet (I know, I know), but good to know it might make a good addition to the trip.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added Rage for you, since that one little deck is so very powerful.

I use Rage for prototyping purposes, and I suspect a lot of others do too, which is why so many different games can be simulated with that deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls