Inque Xervai
msg tools
Page 12 of the updated rulebook, just bought the game enjoying myself.
Reference here:
http://guillotinegames.com/dl/zombicide_rulebook_english_V3....

Reading the rules here:
"If there is more than one route of the same length, the Zombies split into groups of equal numbers to follow all possible routes. They also split up if different target Zones contain the same number of Noise tokens. If necessary, add Zombies so that all new groups resulting from a splitting group contain the same number of each Zombie type!"

Wait, what? If necessary? You're the rule-book you tell ME if it's necessary! Oh okay, there's an example:

"Example: a group of four Walkers, one Fatty, and three runners move toward a group of Survivors. The Zombies can take two routes of the same length, so they split into two groups."

Okay, based on my understanding from above, that's 8 zombies, 4x4 and let's get rolling. Doesn't sound "if necessary" to me *Continues to read*

"Two Walkers go one way, the other two take the other route. The Fatty joins one group of Walkers, and a second Fatty is added to the other group(this new Fatty does not come with extra Walkers)! The three runners also split, two joining the first group, and the other joining the second group. another runner is added to the latter group so that the groups remain identical. Things just got a lot harder for the Survivors…"

Wait, what? Rules called them "zombies", but now we care about evenly splitting the four types too? It may just be coincidence, but they're referenced in their target priority.

So do I have this right?

1) Activating/Move happens by targeting priority, creating a kind of unmentioned but followed in the examples "activation/move priority"? (Walkers > Fatties > Aboms > Runners) + (Runners, after all others activate)
2) Splitting occurs with ALL zombies type groups divided by the number of directions, add zombies until they can equally split that many directions.
(edited #2 for clarity and feedback below)

So okay, I understand how 2 split then, but...

I in my scenario here that I had in game:

Z is zombies, 2 walkers, 1 runner
S is a single survivor, no additional noise than themselves, and they are on their own space
v>^ are spaces and represent a direction to a survivor

So I played it this way:
1) Activate walkers, split occurs:
1a) 1 moves north
1b) 1 moves east
1c) 1 is added moving south
2) Activate runners
2a) 1 moves north
2b) 1 is added moving east
2c) 1 is added moving south
3) Activate runners

S
^
^
Z>>>S
v
v
S

End results was everyone ended up with a single walker and a single runner in their direction? Is that right?

Also anyone else found that the rule book examples always follow an activation/move priority that mirrors target priority? Not sure it really matters to think of it that way. When they're a swarm they attack like one and all zombies will attempt to move. The only exception being is DON'T activate the runner twice in a row if there are other zombies that haven't activated once yet.

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, your example is correct.

What you seemed to miss in the written rules is the bold part:
"If necessary, add Zombies so that all new groups resulting from a splitting group contain the same number of each Zombie type."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inque Xervai
msg tools
Loophole Master wrote:
Yes, your example is correct.

What you seemed to miss in the written rules is the bold part:
"If necessary, add Zombies so that all new groups resulting from a splitting group contain the same number of each Zombie type."
Right, I point out in a little rant the "if necessary" portion is odd wording. That said, was trying to figure out when "necessary" was. Sounds like Replacing "If Necessary" with "Always".

Thanks for the input, glad to know I was playing it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But it's not always, you only add zombies if necessary, in case the resulting groups contain different numbers of each zombie type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inque Xervai
msg tools
Loophole Master wrote:
But it's not always, you only add zombies if necessary, in case the resulting groups contain different numbers of each zombie type.
...But it's always necessary to add zombies when the number cannot be divided evenly by the split divisor. Which would make all resulting tiles have the same number of zombies of that type. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
xersues wrote:
Loophole Master wrote:
...But it's always necessary to add zombies when the number cannot be divided evenly by the split divisor. Which would make all resulting tiles have the same number of zombies of that type. Am I missing something?
It's not always impossible to split the number evenly by the split divisor.

In your example of three possible destinations, if there were 3 fatties, 6 runners, and 9 walkers, then all the type groups could be equally split by 3 and so you wouldn't need to add any new zombies.

That's all it means by "if necessary".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex de Burgh
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said 'if necessary' is pretty clear. If I have two walkers and two directions it's not necessary. If I have three walkers and two directions it becomes necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inque Xervai
msg tools
I think there is some confusion about what I mean by "even", I don't mean even/odd, I mean equally distributed. Either way it's a very dead horse now, we're all saying the same thing. Thanks for the clarification! Hope this helps anyone else that's confused on the split ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
Is English not your first language, Inque?

(I only ask because that's the only reason I can think of for the confusions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait till a split where you run out of one type of zombie then it really gets fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inque Xervai
msg tools
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I find the 1st rulebook to be finicky and the examples to be horrid. Of course, the 2nd rulebook makes a lot more sense and the FAQ seemed to answer a lot of the weirder combinations.

Just wanted validation that I was playing it correctly, looks like I am. I'm sure you find no point to this rule clarification.

My problem is I played using the older rules (Judging by the date on the copyright notice, its the kickstarter version) and never looked for the updated ones until recently. With a whole lot more things answered, better examples, I wanted to make sure I was playing it right.

I find a pretty big difference in clarity between v1 and v2+FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
xersues wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I find the 1st rulebook to be finicky and the examples to be horrid. Of course, the 2nd rulebook makes a lot more sense and the FAQ seemed to answer a lot of the weirder combinations.

Just wanted validation that I was playing it correctly, looks like I am. I'm sure you find no point to this rule clarification.

My problem is I played using the older rules (Judging by the date on the copyright notice, its the kickstarter version) and never looked for the updated ones until recently. With a whole lot more things answered, better examples, I wanted to make sure I was playing it right.

I find a pretty big difference in clarity between v1 and v2+FAQ.
There's always a point to asking for rules clarifications.

I was just trying to figure out why you were getting hung up on the "if necessary" wording, that was all.

And English not being your first language is the only thing I could think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriano Sampieri
msg tools
Just a question, when there is only one zombie (no matter what type) and two paths, it still splits right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fara wrote:
Just a question, when there is only one zombie (no matter what type) and two paths, it still splits right?
Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fara wrote:
Yes, it splits into two. Unless it's an Abomination, then you just choose which way it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls