Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of regiments with a local notable on a recruitment zone.

I moved Prince Rupert and his army to the space with the plans of adding them (8.3, case 1). Rupert had 1 regiment. I move him to the space and end my movement, and pick up 1 brigade, so as to not face desertion. 8.3 says that I am under no obligation to pick them up, so I only picking up 1.

Then I play an opponent's event for recruitment and bring a regiment into that space, and since Rupert is not a regional general, it has to go with the local notable, and cannot absorb into Rupert's army until I activate him. So now I have a general packing 2 regiments and a local notable with 2 regiments in the same space.

According the glossary, the general + 2 regiments is an army and the other 2 regiments + local notable are not.

However, I have no more activation OPS cards, so when I get to the Desertion order, the second priority is "Armies of more than 3 brigades." I only have 1 army in that space, and it has 2 brigades. The other units do not make up an "army," so if I am reading this correctly, I suffer no desertion on this space, even though it has 4 regiments.

Since the Supply Attrition rule specifies an "Area" with 5+ regiments, and not an army, I am thinking that my interpretation is correct, and the desertion rule would have called out an area with 3 or more brigades.

Am I correct, or am I splitting hairs?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
I have a couple of regiments with a local notable on a recruitment zone.

I moved Prince Rupert and his army to the space with the plans of adding them (8.3, case 1). Rupert had 1 regiment. I move him to the space and end my movement, and pick up 1 brigade, so as to not face desertion. 8.3 says that I am under no obligation to pick them up, so I only picking up 1.

Then I play an opponent's event for recruitment and bring a regiment into that space, and since Rupert is not a regional general, it has to go with the local notable, and cannot absorb into Rupert's army until I activate him. So now I have a general packing 2 regiments and a local notable with 2 regiments in the same space.

According the glossary, the general + 2 regiments is an army and the other 2 regiments + local notable are not.

However, I have no more activation OPS cards, so when I get to the Desertion order, the second priority is "Armies of more than 3 brigades." I only have 1 army in that space, and it has 2 brigades. The other units do not make up an "army," so if I am reading this correctly, I suffer no desertion on this space, even though it has 4 regiments.
That's right.

airjudden wrote:
Since the Supply Attrition rule specifies an "Area" with 5+ regiments, and not an army, I am thinking that my interpretation is correct, and the desertion rule would have called out an area with 3 or more brigades.
I'm not sure I follow this, but in any case Desertion and Attrition are not the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I was thinking it might be 3+ regiments in the same area = desertion. Since you specified an area in the attrition section, that made me think that I had interpreted it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, I probably would have played that wrong assuming that a field general is in charge of all the troops in an area.
But than I also would have understood that troops under a local guy, ARE an army.
So with that in mind I would have seen the local guy and his troops as a subordinate.

Yeah yeah, I know that 'local guys' according to the book means a series of fortifications and it's not actually a person, but at times it is really hard to think of the local notables as such.

Take for example Brereton who as a local would according to the rules not be seen as a leader, but than he changes into the general Brereton, so that is slightly confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Thanks!

I was thinking it might be 3+ regiments in the same area = desertion. Since you specified an area in the attrition section, that made me think that I had interpreted it correctly.
The concept here is that an army will concentrate units within an area, giving more of a supply problem then the same number of troops more widely spread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Hm, I probably would have played that wrong assuming that a field general is in charge of all the troops in an area.
But than I also would have understood that troops under a local guy, ARE an army.
An army (for game purposes) is what the rules say an army is.

sagitar wrote:
So with that in mind I would have seen the local guy and his troops as a subordinate.
and in game terms you'd be wrong.

sagitar wrote:
Yeah yeah, I know that 'local guys' according to the book means a series of fortifications and it's not actually a person, but at times it is really hard to think of the local notables as such.
Whether its a person or not he's not a commander for these purposes; he's commanding a zone of outposts. Look at Derby, can anyone imagine him in charge of an army?

sagitar wrote:
Take for example Brereton who as a local would according to the rules not be seen as a leader, but than he changes into the general Brereton, so that is slightly confusing.
No it isn't, that's why I provide different counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls