Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a game with two heroes just maxed out on stun effects, and on just about any quest where the monsters have reinforcements it's much easier to stun them repeatedly than to kill them. This way they sit there and don't come back with full hp. I played a quest recently where I had about 4 targets stun locked for 3 turns in a row, and there wasn't much the overlord could do about it. Is this intended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you aware that stun only takes away the monster's first action: from the FAQ:

Descent Official FAQ wrote:
Q: Does the Stunned condition take away a figure’s entire turn?
A: No, the Stunned condition causes a figure to use its first action to
discard the Condition card. After a Stunned card or token is discarded,
the figure is free to perform a second action. If a figure becomes Stunned
during its turn after performing its first action, its second action must be
used to discard the Stunned card or token.
You also cannot stack the stun tokens:

Descent Rules p. 15, Conditions wrote:
A figure cannot be affected by
the same condition more than once at any given time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you playing Stun the correct way where it only takes an action to discard the condition and then you can still take another action? If you were using the interpretation that you lose your whole turn when stunned then I could see how that would be very irritating for the Overlord.

Of course, if they are busy stunning the same two monsters over and over you should be able to let them occupy themselves with that while you accomplish your other quest objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Just to clarify since you said "stunlock," stun only removes one action, not an entire turn. So the figure's first action is to remove the stun. Then they have a second action to do whatever they would like.

If you're playing it correctly, there are plenty of reasons to kill a reinforcing monster.Perhaps it is blocking the only path towards your objective.Perhaps a Stun not enough to protect you from the monster since it still has one action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
All that said, Stun and/or Immobilize are great ways to deal with large, reinforcing monsters at least some of the time. Immobilize a Melee monster and stay out of its range and you can essentially ignore it (unless it is standing in the way of somewhere you need to go).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobblySavage wrote:
Are you aware that stun only takes away the monster's first action: from the FAQ:

Thanks. A stupid mistake, really. Don't know how I missed that in the rules. cry

Edit: The card says "(For an action) Discard this card or token. This is the only action you may perform on your turn while you have this card or token." Okay, pretty misleading, but glad the FAQ clears it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twubear wrote:
Just to clarify since you said "stunlock," stun only removes one action, not an entire turn. So the figure's first action is to remove the stun. Then they have a second action to do whatever they would like.

If you're playing it correctly, there are plenty of reasons to kill a reinforcing monster.Perhaps it is blocking the only path towards your objective.Perhaps a Stun not enough to protect you from the monster since it still has one action.

Well, despite the embarrassing misinterpretation of the stun (and condition) rules, it still seems like stalling monsters is sometimes much better than killing them. I haven't played many games yet (obviously!) but a reinforced monster is a lot scarier at full hp then say, the ettin you beat down to 1 hp and let chase you around until the moment is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Caerus wrote:
Well, despite the embarrassing misinterpretation of the stun (and condition) rules, it still seems like stalling monsters is sometimes much better than killing them. I haven't played many games yet (obviously!) but a reinforced monster is a lot scarier at full hp then say, the ettin you beat down to 1 hp and let chase you around until the moment is right.
Not only that, but if you whittle something down to only one or two hearts left during the hero turns, you can kill it on the Overlord turn with skills like Guard, Counter Attack, First Strike, or Caltrops, thus getting rid of it without spending actions AND circumventing the reinforcement (if reinforcements happen at the beginning of the overlord's turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caerus wrote:
KnobblySavage wrote:

Thanks. A stupid mistake, really. Don't know how I missed that in the rules. cry

Edit: The card says "(For an action) Discard this card or token. This is the only action you may perform on your turn while you have this card or token." Okay, pretty misleading, but glad the FAQ clears it up.
Yeah the condition card is super confusing and caused me to get absolutely decimated in a campaign. Really sucked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grease meat
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of rules confusion leading to a sucky result during a campaign... the reinforcements can be used as soon as they are placed back on the entrance at the start of my OL turn right??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That depends on the quest. If you reinforce at the start of your turn you can use them during that turn, if the quest says that you reinforce at the end of your turn you can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grease meat
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful. Thank you sir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jebstone wrote:
absolutely decimated in a campaign. Really sucked.
Yep, same here. I don't know why they didn't just say it had to be the first action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caerus wrote:
Jebstone wrote:
absolutely decimated in a campaign. Really sucked.
Yep, same here. I don't know why they didn't just say it had to be the first action.
Because you could get stunned after you used your first action - in this case you can use your 2nd action to remove stun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argonar Alfaran
Austria
flag msg tools
Well I have to say that the german version has this rule explained a little better, as it sayst that while you have this condition, the next action has to be removing the stun effect, instead of the only action you can do is removing the stun effect.

It's basically the same, but I think it's not as easy to misread the rule. But this is most likely because it came out several months after the original english release and several ambiguities and errors were already corrected (but we got some of our own instead ;-) )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thanks. A stupid mistake, really. Don't know how I missed that in the rules. :cry:

FWIW, I read it the same way you did and played it "your" way for some time. It was a poorly worded ability. Don't feel bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argonar wrote:
Well I have to say that the german version has this rule explained a little better, as it sayst that while you have this condition, the next action has to be removing the stun effect, instead of the only action you can do is removing the stun effect.

It's basically the same, but I think it's not as easy to misread the rule. But this is most likely because it came out several months after the original english release and several ambiguities and errors were already corrected (but we got some of our own instead ;-) )
Yes "next" would be the best way to word it. What would stun a hero during the hero's turn? Traps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prasant Moorthy
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caerus wrote:

I'd say it was a remarkably easy mistake to make especially when you're in a group and don't have access to the FAQ. First time I played the character that can stun adjacent monsters pretty much killed the game dead, especially since the mission had to do with getting particular monsters off the board. Ended up checking when I got home since it otherwise made stun pretty much the ultimate hero ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Caerus wrote:
Argonar wrote:

Yes "next" would be the best way to word it. What would stun a hero during the hero's turn? Traps?
Overlord card Pit Trap would do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls