Subject: Storage solution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Green
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have a good storage solution yet? I find fitting the game back in the box to be quite tedious. I considered tossing the insert, but I like that it keeps the figures from making impressions on the cards. Anyone have a decent way to fit it all in the box but make setup/teardown efficient?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tell me about it!

i got D1 as well and all minis painted.
what should i do with them?
build another room? coollaugh

so.. there is no ultimate storage solution. not for D2 ... expansions are coming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
HeathCon Winter 2020 Jan 17th - 20th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 16 left to play
Microbadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: I like to play NEW gamesMicrobadge: Star Wars: The MandalorianMicrobadge: I have at least 2,000 logged game plays!Microbadge: Golden Image Uploader
I use a tackle box for all the minis, from both Descent 1 and Descent 2:

That allows all the other pieces to fit easily in the respective boxes for both games.

It's convenient in that I can just grab the appropriate Descent box and the tackle box if I want to play either version. Also, the deep middle section holds even the largest minis (Like the Dragons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Porter
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tossed the insert, pile the map pieces on one side of the box, the larger figures (anything over 1 space) on the other side, then I have a plano box that holds all of the other pieces that sits on top of the map pieces, and baggies for all the different sets of cards. (The baggies that came with Quarriors hold the small cards perfectly, so each character has a small baggie with his abilities and equipment in it.)

I have to say that this game is a pain to set up and tear down, and I can't think of a storage solution that will make it any better. I'm not complaining, as all of the stuff is needed.

I could see a card box that held the different card with dividers being useful, but you would need 2 different sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I have an old Plano tackle box (that has seen me through heroclix, mechwarrior(clix), star wars miniatures and D&D minis) that I am using to store the 1x1 and 1x2 minis and most of the smaller-sized cards. I have Act 1 shop deck in one compartment, Act 2 in another, condition cards in a third, etc. Then I have all the tokens in a couple of other compartments.

The larger minis I have stored under the larger of the two sections of the main box insert. The main area of the insert still holds all the hero cards, monster cards, overlord cards, dice etc. And all the map tiles can currently fit int he LotW box.

I'll have to rework it after LoR comes out though so we'll see. I'll probably get a larger tackle box that will also hold the 2x2 and 2x3 minis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tossed the insert

I bought a couple of nice slender bead cases (that actually perfectly fit in the box length wise, and stacked) for all the tokens

I bought a couple of art storage cases for the Minis

I split the cards with 5 ziplock bags. Hero Cards, Hero Skill decks, Overlord and Monster cards, Item and Relic cards, Rumor and Travel cards - and those are easily put into the spare room between the cases

I have individual zip lock bags for the tile pieces and I have each tile piece sorted by grid size and grouped together in the ziplock bags. They fit perfectly between the token and mini cases, and the bigger tiles lay atop the cases with the manual. All fits in the main box snug as a bug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argonar Alfaran
Austria
flag msg tools
This is what I did.
First of all, I got rid of the insert.

Then I went into the next supermarket and bought boxes with cover, 4 big ones and 6 smaller ones.

I use the boxes for the following content:

small:
1) Life marker
2) Fatique marker
3) Condition marker
4) Hero marker
5) Searchtoken marker
6) Villager (or whatever they are called) marke

The first 3 boxes are also put on the table and we take the markers dircetly out of them when needed and return them afterwards.

big:
1) LT marker, skeleton marker, quest markers
2) Class cards
3) Act1, Act2 and Relic Item cards
4) Condition cards and search cards

I also bought several closable plastic bags of different sizes (like those that come with the game)

The smaller bags are used for:
1) OL cards
2) Monstercards and travel cards
3) Dice
4) Hero figures.

medium bags are used for:
1) small monsters
2) medium monsters
3) map tiles
4) map tiles
5) map tiles
6) Hero cards and campaign sheet

and the bigger bags are used for:
1) big monsters
2) map tiles (biggest ones)
3) Doors

Erything else I have forgotten to mention is within one of the plastic bags or has it's own.

When putting everything into the box I do the following:
The 4 bigger boxes on one side, the six smaller boxes on the other side (two small boxes are about as big as one of the bigger ones)
The I put everything that is quite flat, but not a map tile, on the bottom, like the cards, dice, campaign sheet etc.

Then I try to fill the gaps as evenly as possible with the different figures, so that I can put the map tiles on top of them.

After that I try to place the bags with the map tiles as evenly as possible and then finally on top the rules and the quest guide.

Everything fits into the box, barely, but it does work.
As for the faster setup time, I actually have some additional bags.
A day before we play, I prepare one bag for every player, that includes everything he has gained within the campaign, like skills, items, the Hero card of course and his figure. The OL gets the aquired OL cards and the monsters of the current act.

And since the next quest is always known before we play, I put all the map tiles and search/quest markers into another bag per scenario. This way, the game is set up in a matter of minutes and at least one quest can be played relatively quick.

Sounds like a lot of preparation time, but actually it's not that bad, but it really does save a lot of time when you actually want to start playing. And since I do it while watching TV it's not boring. Besides, it's a good way to remind yourself of all the skills and items the heroes have aquired (since most of the time the owner of the game is also the OL)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Santos
United States
Riverview
FL: FLORIDA
flag msg tools
I spent a little bit of money for storage and bought a Plano tackle box ($25). It works great. I use a smaller stowaway box for all the counters (it fits in the bottom of the tackle box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-L├ęgier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I still am thinking of which could be the best solution.
I have the CK monsters as stand-ups, which are more delicate than plastic models... So, for the moment, I have my large and small standups placed in two shoe-boxes.
I believe I will go towards the following solution :
- Map tiles, cards and cardboard counters in the base game box.
- Monsters in a tackle box

BTW, has someone tried Deck Boxes for sleeved cards ?
Would that work ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I use the cheap (price, not quality) cardboard deck boxes of various lengths for sleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Basham
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I quit!
badge
mbmb
Once more into the fray!

smurfodeth wrote:
Here's how I dooz it:

Start with my copy of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (second edition)

Open up said copy, where the books rest comfortably on top

I flipped the insert and glued the flaps together, turning it into an easily removable tray

I also cut a flap in the middle for easy stowing and retrieval of extra bits

Remove the handy-dandy tray to find the tiles neatly stacked underneath

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jim
msg tools
Microbadge: I play with Yellow!Microbadge: I support the Addicks!Microbadge: Fate Core fanMicrobadge: Good Old Games fanMicrobadge: I like to climb stuff
Absolutely came across the same problem (FFG in general have poor box management). I eventually got angry and attacked the insert with a stanley knife, in a constructive way. I constructed a simple divider system, creating nine compartments. Next I separated all the smaller miniatures into their own bags which I put into the compartments with the larger miniatures. I then stack all the board pieces on top. I also have the Lair of the Wyrm expansion so I bagged all the other components separately and shoved them in that box, without its insert. Bongo! Slightly more organised and happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I got one of these bad boys at Walmart last night for $40. It is HUGE (that's what she said). Not only does it come with 5 storage trays, the top is really deep. I was easily able to put all the 2nd edition stuff in (and I'm pretty sure I could have fit the 1st ed and most of its expansions in if I had purchased this for that purpose). All of the boards, and rule books fit in with no bending and there is ample room for more stuff.

I've started painting my original Descent stuff for use with the 2nd ed (as well as painting the 2nd ed stuff). My plan thus far is to put the majority of the 1st ed base monsters in one of the large trays (I think I can get most of them except the really tall ones in - the big trays are deep enough that the large monster bases will fit in sidewise). The original demons, dragons, and manticores are just not going to fit, but they may fit in one of the sides if I take out one of the smaller trays (which I can afford to take out, as there just isn't enough stuff so far to require it). I'm planning to only use two of the larger trays and take out the third and put in a foam tray for all the painted heroes. I'll try and add some pictures of the whole setup later.

I looked online and had trouble finding this bad boy. Amazon and Walmart don't show this in stock. There are some listings on ebay, but expect crazy shipping - it really is big and heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls