Agricola» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Unbalanced cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Are there any unbalanced cards in the base game? Or any of the expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go about trying to identify unbalanced cards before even playing them, how do you expect to ever form your own opinions?

I hold that there are none in the base game, Farmers of the Moor, or the G- and WM-decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
If you go about trying to identify unbalanced cards before even playing them, how do you expect to ever form your own opinions?

I hold that there are none in the base game, Farmers of the Moor, or the G- and WM-decks.

I think some cards are definitely stronger than others - don't know if that leads to imbalance.

Some card combinations can be especially unbalancing though.

I like using the cards for variety but I think that the family game provides a more strategic experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Not all the cards are equal and some are stronger than others either individually or in combination with one or more other cards. Part of the fun of the game is figuring out which ones are strong, and this changes over time as you develop more experience in the game.

After a few hundred mostly two player games we've found there are some cards we would rather not play with. These are mainly those which skip the turn order for family growth, and include: Occupations- Wetnurse, Taster, Minor improvements: Wooden Hut Extension, Reed Hut

Lots of people remove Ratcatcher and the Buyer occupations in the expansions because they are annoying rather than they are particularly good.

There are some others but those are the ones that come to mind.

LifeIsAFeather wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As family growth is a strong strategy with virtually no downside in the base game, any cards that let you achieve family growth early will be stronger.

That said there are some very strong card combinations that I have exploited, but most require strategic play to set up the big payoff.

I personally hate the "Take one ______ and pass this card to your left" cards. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn -
msg tools
mb
The following cards are very often banned:

E-deck:
Ratcatcher - just annoying, not to strong
I-deck:
Taster - far to strong in the original version (where you have to pay 1 food), still strong and annoying in the new official version (where you have to pay 2 food)
Wooden-Hut-Extension - annoying as it may change the FG-queue completely and in some situations very strong, mainly in 4p-games.
K-deck:
Reed-Hut - far too strong
Lover - you could FG in rd 2 (rarely in rd 1). If the normal FG-card appears in rd 7, that's game breaking. As you don't know that before, it's banned in most games. Still strong, but not that game-breaking in 5p-games, where FG appears in rd 5 for sure.
Wet Nurse - similar to Lover. You can FG in rd 3. Again it depends a lot on the apperance of the normal FG. Not to strong in 5p-games.

G-deck:
Latesleeper - to strong
WM-deck:
none
PI-deck:
none

More cards out of Ö, Cz, Z, NL, FL, WA-decks. If you are interested i will tell you as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
If you're just playing local games (edit: as opposed to playing online against the play-agricola group), then odds are that you won't be playing against players who are good enough for the relative strength of cards to be a major factor. Player skill is vastly more important than card strength; it's only when player skill is uniformly high that card strength becomes the determining factor in who wins a given game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LifeIsAFeather wrote:

Yes, but don't worry about it until you've played a couple dozen games. Until you're familiar with the game, it's hard to exploit the truly overpowered cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are plenty of unbalanced cards, both in the base game and especially in some of the expansions.

Among those not mentioned from the base set, some that leap to mind are Chamberlain, House Goat and Charcoal Burner. Charcoal Burner may not be banned, but it easily one of the best cards in the game... Typically in a 4-5 player game it will give you 6-7 wood AND 6-7 food, which is generally twice the effect of many occupations that only give you wood OR food, but not both. Is it over-powered? Well that's another question, but it's absolutely unbalanced.

And then there are cards on the flip side... Holiday House, Clapper, Bread Seller, Estate Manager... These cards are pretty unbalanced in terms of how bad they are.

Why do you ask the question though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Duarte
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In our group, we usually start the draft with 10 occupations and 10 minor improvements. That being said, I think Braggart is the most powerfull and unbalanced card in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Huang
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cesso wrote:
In our group, we usually start the draft with 10 occupations and 10 minor improvements. That being said, I think Braggart is the most powerfull and unbalanced card in the game.

Ah someone who drafts the same as my group! Certain cards get much stronger when you can draft around them. Braggart is definitely one of them, and is not a card you would want to pass (if you pass it, it gives incentive for the player after you to take SP more often to play minors), and the braggart player is often going to just draft cheap minors. Similarly, Educator is a very strong card, but its power level really depends on the draft.

I pretty much agree with Bjorn. If you have a fast grow card and growth comes out on Round 7, that's almost a guaranteed win given equal skill. But, if I had to ban a single card it would be ratcatcher. It's just a not a fun card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.