Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kiehnhoff
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If there is already a forum like this can someone point me there?

I'm new to the BGG, but I've started spending my lunchbreak browsing every day. I have always had a problem with so many American games and the fact that you have to have 4 players or no game. Then I found German games and got a few good 3 player games, but I'm looking for some great 2 player board/card games to play with my fiance. I don't mind if they're multiplayer or strictly 2 player, but what are people's opinions on the best out there?

My personal preference is to minimize the luck element, but I doubt my fiance would like a pure strategy game. I thik that something with few to no dice and some randomized cards would play well for us, but I'm open to suggestions if there's something great out there I'm missing out on. Thanks for your advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Here's a search of Geeklist titles for the keywords "two player" and "2 player":

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=search&sea...

Plenty for you to chew on meeple

[edit]
More searching for "wife," "spouse," and "girlfriend":

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra
Carcassonne
Jambo
Lost Cities
San Juan
St. Petersburg
Ticket to Ride

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert .
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Phoenix
Lost Cities
Battle Cry
Der untergang von Pompeji

Our favorite 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
^ Do you really think Ticket to Ride works well with 2 players? We just got it in a trade, but some friends of ours say that it doesn't really work well with 2 because you rarely get in each others' way.

It is only okay with 2. 3, 4, and 5 are way better. IMO, there are much better games for two.

However, I completely agree with all of the other selections listed by Cull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

I play two-player games the majority of the time (2/3 of all my gaming is this way). Give us a little more info on what you and your sig other are in to, and we can provide better feedback. Do you like wargames, sci-fi, cooperative, short games, long games, light/funny games? There are a lot of games out there that you can "tweak" to play nicely with two players, as well (we've managed to have some good two-player games of Twilight Imperium, for instance...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alkis Moraitis
Australia
Sydney Olympic Park
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
We gotta get out while we 're young, `cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run...
mbmbmbmbmb
Until you decide what is a good 2 player game to buy, you can freely download and play my 2 player boxing card game called "Punch!". It is not a deep game. It is light, fast, has bluffing elements, and you can make it more or less random depending on the rules used. Oh, and it is not violent really, but rather generates a lot of laughter. Give it a try and enjoy!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/20302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Regano Aguirre
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recomend you these two games:

1. Lost Cities
2. Travel Blokus or Blokus Duo

These two games are working perfect twi play alone withmy girlfriend.

There are also many other 2players games from Kosmos, like

Lord of the rings: the confrontation
Odin's Raven
Ballon Cup

how someone has told you is better if you explain a little bit more what are you looking for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendations:

Ingenious - Abstract with some luck but is mostly skill. It scales remarkably well from 2-4 players.

Carcassone:The Castle - A fun, fairly light tile laying game that has become one of the favorite 2 player games for my wife and me.

There are others we enjoy (Babel, Hera & Zeus, Blue Moon, Polarity, Jambo, etc.) but these two have the broadest appeal, I think. Blokus, previously recommended, is also a great choice and plays well with 2 or 4 (but not so much with 3, in my opinion.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
viktor georgiev
Macedonia
flag msg tools
Settlers Of Catan card game
Lost Cities (light)
Memoir 44 (light but addictive)
War Of The Ring (Deep and time consuming, but maybe the best)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Waters
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those not designed for 2 players, Puerto Rico and Ra are amazingly good 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Pelletier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games my wife and I enjoy a lot:

2 players only:
Jambo
Schotten totten

Multiplayer games that are also great with two:
San Juan
Der Untergang von Pompeji
Attika
Carcassonne
Puerto Rico (with the official Alea variant)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We've had quite a bit of fun with this one lately... (thanks CB)

Roma

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/16496

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Yannakis
Canada
Terrebonne
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Louis XIV is my best 2 players game.
If you can wait until April, Goa is also a killer 2 players game.
Attika is very good too.
I only played one 2 players game so far, but In the Shadow of the Emperor looks really promising, even if the tension of the voting for new emperor isn't there.
With 2 players variant, I really appreciate Puerto Rico and San Marco.

I own both Alhambra and Ticket to Ride, but couldn't recommend those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here is the meta-list for all of the "number of players lists"

75 GeekLists About Number Of Players: 2,3,4,5,6,7,8

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

The title is a misnomer.. the list now has 232 entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Quote:

I only played one 2 players game so far, but In the Shadow of the Emperor looks really promising, even if the tension of the voting for new emperor isn't there.

As I've discussed in other threads, I currently think SotE is almost broken as a two-player game with the official rules and needs a house rule to give the player who doesn't hold the throne a chance to gain it. Remains to be seen, but in any case, I wouldn't recommend it for 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for heavier Euro non-wargames, I would recommend:

JAVA
TORRES
TIGRIS & EUPHRATES
EL CABALLERO

and for something a little lighter,
CAROLUS MAGNUS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Yannakis
Canada
Terrebonne
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhowe wrote:
As I've discussed in other threads, I currently think SotE is almost broken as a two-player game with the official rules and needs a house rule to give the player who doesn't hold the throne a chance to gain it. Remains to be seen, but in any case, I wouldn't recommend it for 2.

As I said, it was a first impression, I haven't even rated the game yet.
Since we never played the game before, maybe our strategies wheren't very good, but I lost the throne on the first turn, got it back in the second, lost it in the third, got it back in the fourth and kept it in the 5th. Also, I won the game with a really close margin.
Maybe after a game or two, it won't feel the same. Only time will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kiehnhoff
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all. EvilTimmy, those links were really great, those were the kind of threads I was looking for. I appreciate all the suggestions and I guess it's time to do some reading and see what looks best, I'm not made of money after all.
By the way, to all of those who recommended Lost Cities, it sounds pretty light from what I've read so far, but I saw in the image gallery that there is an online version. Is that still around that I might be able to try it out and see if I think it's worth picking up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're concerned about Lost Cities being too light (which I think it is), you might try Battle Line instead. I find it to be a far superior game, but can be played in about the same time frame. I enjoy playing it with my girlfriend and my Euro-game buddies, both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate wrote:
By the way, to all of those who recommended Lost Cities, it sounds pretty light from what I've read so far, but I saw in the image gallery that there is an online version. Is that still around that I might be able to try it out and see if I think it's worth picking up?
http://www.flexgames.com/ - give it a try. Lost Cities is light but addictive. I love heavy games, but lost cities is like m&m's, you can just go through round after round all night, and there are enough tough decisions that the lightness isn't a problem for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kiehnhoff
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks a ton for the link William. I just played a couple games, and man that is much more addictive than I thought. I'm not sure whether my fiance would like it, but I think I'm gonna be playin' it some more online at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, depending on your tastes, but a good game not yet mentioned would be Heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Regano Aguirre
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities is very very light, but that's not a problem!!

You will always have a nice time with this game, even with non gamers or with a person who you have explained the game a few minutes ago....

What I don't know is if you will appreciate the power of lost cities playing online......

I have schotten totten, the next game I willl play with my girlfriend, which is, if I'm not wrong, the same as battle line but with different ambientation....

A symple game, but for me very pretty and funny is World of War, take a look at it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said, plus Twilight Struggle. And Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, but maybe they said that. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.