Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gronk Smash!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

Both are great games for "Gateway" games. Smash Up is the easier of the 2 as there are less rules and the only thing you play with is your deck of cards that tell you what to do. King of Tokyo is pretty easy too...alot like Yahtzee. Both games are alot of fun though. If you are going to get sleeves for Smash Up then you might want to get the 63.5mmx88mm. Apparently that extra 1mm has been causing some people issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think King of Tokyo is much easier to teach and play. There's a lot of text on Smash Up cards. I really like both games but Smash Up takes longer to play, especially for more than 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played smash up, but I'm pretty surprised there is a game with fewer rules than KoT!

KoT has been a big hit and I surmise would be well worth the wait, but it loses some of it's luster with only 2 players. However, a few simple variants are out there.

Can't help you with the availability, sorry.

(edit, grammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gronk Smash!
mbmbmbmbmb
KoT is more fun with 5+ players. It really sucks when you have 4 players....and you're the guy in Tokyo getting hammered by everyone else. Smash Up has like 2 things you do every turn...or nothing at all if you choose. And every card tells you what to do and when to play extra cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how to respond to the comment about players and KoT. It has been my experience that anything above 2 players is fine. But with 5 ore more players, you are less likely to remain in Tokyo any time at all. With 3 or 4 players you can often survive a round if not 2 depending on the level of your health when you entered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vastly depends on the player count. KoT plays better with 4-6 as where Smash Up will likely be better with lower counts. Between the two games, KoT is a much better game although I only have one play of Smash Up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think King of Tokyo plays great with 3+ and as far as a reprint Steve from Iello has confirmed in a recent post that they are shipping restocks as we speak. Try contacting Tom from B&B, he is very helpful and will even hold it for you.

Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Peavy
United States
Americus
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pleaseletmewin wrote:
Thanks guys - but luckily I found out today that both games are back in stock!! Will try and get both! :)
Yes, get both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Honey Badger
United States
Arvada/Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
I do think King of Tokyo will play better with new people than SmashUp. I also think that KoT has better replay value when you add in the Power Up expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played KoT, but I absolutely adore Smash Up and have played it a ridiculous amount of times compared to anything else I've played.

Silly pairings of factions is just so awesome (Note: Zombie Aliens OP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls