Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With its -1 Siege DRM, Rhodes is hard to take by siege, as Demetrius Poliorcetes learned when he so memorably tried and failed (305-304 BC). You will on average need to roll on the Siege Table six times, and lose 3 Mercenaries. That means you'll need a big army of six or seven units, and 2 full rounds, if you use your Tyche cards to pay for extra Siege rolls, or 3 full rounds, if you don't use your Tyche cards for extra Siege rolls. That's a huge investment of time and mass, when so much else is on-the-move in the game.

I wonder if wise players ever try it, given the difficulty.

Currently 3 movement points are needed to move between Rhodes and Paphus, on Cyprus. I propose 2 movement points direct sea link between Rhodes and Paphus on Cyprus. It makes geographic sense, and would make Rhodes more valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fleet alone makes Rhodes attractive--I siege it all the time, and it usually falls by someone's hands during the games I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my opponents is obsessed with making a naval strategy work, and three times has gone for Rhodes to get the fleet. It just does not seem to pay off for him. One siege was a complete disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be a complete disaster or win you the game. You especially have to worry if the Antipater player is going for it with his other general, because Greece + Rhodes is generally worth 12 points as it all but guarantees Largest Fleet.

It helps a lot if you have Traitor in City or the Heliopolis.

What's worst of all at Rhodes is when somebody else has the Fog card and you completed the siege in the Tyche or Movement segment, and then on said somebody's round he sails in, whacks your weakened army, and gets Rhodes on the cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.