Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I knew you wanted to mouse over my Avatar :).
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to wish all those that are in the wake of this disaster all my prayers that everyone is safe. My family was seperated and we lost our Kids for 9 hours. The house is totally underwater but my family is now safe in Calgary.

Derek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: JackassMicrobadge: I´m only half evilMicrobadge: We are all winners - we were the fastest spermMicrobadge: Attempting to give a damn.......damn not given.
thegamer wrote:
Just wanted to wish all those that are in the wake of this disaster all my prayers that everyone is safe. My family was seperated and we lost our Kids for 9 hours. The house is totally underwater but my family is now safe in Calgary.

Derek
It's not so safe here either! robot

Glad you got you and your kids out. Let's hope the rain lets up soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Derek, sorry to hear about your house! Hope you guys can recover quickly!

~Frank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, my basement flooded with six feet of water. Lost a lot of games, most out of print
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes - losing your kids for 9 hours sounds super stressful - glad everyone is safe.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Newson Ly
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Edmonton and I can tell with everyone I know our thoughts abd prayers are with our Southern neighbors. Hope everyone is safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Hey Derek, I had been wondering about you and your family. Must have been scary to be separated. Good to hear you're all safe.

Robert as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
Microbadge: Street Fighter fanMicrobadge: Final Fantasy fanMicrobadge: Descent fanMicrobadge: The Walking Dead fanMicrobadge: Doctor Who fan
Stay safe and have some good vibes. Hope that water goes down tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
badge
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
mbmbmbmbmb
I was talking about you over supper. I'm glad you are safe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your replies and I will keep you informed on the shape of our house once I can get in there. For the time being there is still a 40 foot wide raging river between the main highway and my house.

Again Thank you all.

Robert I feel for your loss and that area of town got hit really hard.

Derek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone - I am very sorry this has happened. It is terrible news.

Robert, I am so sorry you lost some rare titles. Damn. I cannot imagine having that much water in my house or watching it float away in a river that never existed but days ago. It just sucks.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that Derek and Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you are all safe. We have 8 family member staying with us. I can't believe how big this issue has become.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After fighting through the torrent before getting on the hovering helicopter I felt I was LARP'ing Salmon Run
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrible to hear about the deaths on the radio this morning. I hope all the Albertan BGGers make it through safely (and with a minimum of property damage).

Best wishes for those downstream, too. Hopefully the waters will hit southern areas less harshly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was suprised when my brother who got evacuated due the floods suggested to play Survive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything that has happened so far is about to pile on top of each other in Medicine Hat. Lucky for me I saw the tactical advantage of buying a house on a hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyler, is there a site for local updates? I've got relatives in MH.

Edit: They've gone to higher ground, so that's good. Here's hoping their place doesn't get damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 4 rules for buying houses, to be avoided if financially and logistically possible:

1. Never buy on a cliff, there's a reason it's a cliff
2. Never buy on a declared flood plain
3. Never buy in a city with an ominous adjective. Examples include: Smoky Lake, High River, Cold Lake.
4. Never buy a house with a garage door below grade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.medicinehat.ca is probably your best bet for local updates. CBC.ca is doing a good job so far - they have reporters on the ground here too.

The City also has a facebook group, as does the Medicine Hat Police Service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
I've got 4 rules for buying houses, to be avoided if financially and logistically possible:

1. Never buy on a cliff, there's a reason it's a cliff
2. Never buy on a declared flood plain
3. Never buy in a city with an ominous adjective. Examples include: Smoky Lake, High River, Cold Lake.
4. Never buy a house with a garage door below grade.
Lucky for me, unlucky for my landlord I just rented, partly for just that reason. All I lost was some games and books plus disruption. The flood went beyond the 100 year flood plain. High River is so named because of altitude not water level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
Microbadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: ColorblindMicrobadge: FallCon attendeeMicrobadge: I have at least 7,000 logged game plays!Microbadge: I use Iron Clays in my games
Wow - sorry to hear about the chaos Derek and Robert - glad to hear you and yours are all right though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a major flood survivor you all have my deepest sympathy - what you are going through (shock+fear+adrenalin) and what you are about to go through in everything that comes after... it will be hard, very hard. I can tell you that when it gets tough, and it will be tough, know that there is a light at the end of tunnel, things will eventually return to normal. Just take one day at a time.

ASAP get:

Shop vacs
generator if possible - make sure to get extension cords and those clip on lights.
tall rubber boots
*** mid sized buckets that are flat on one side - they look like a half moon, they are great for scooping muck. I can't stress enough how important these are.
rubber 'dish gloves'
masks
heavy 'contractor' garbage bags, as many as you can get your hands on.
Lots of water.

Don't be proud, there will be lots of people who will want to help - total strangers, churches, etc. Accept their offers of assistance! Think of it this way, if the situation were different and your neighbor was in desperate straits and you were fine wouldn't you offer to help and not expect anything except their eternal gratitude in return. For me, this was the hardest thing of all, to accept that I was the victim and that I... I needed the charity of others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:
As a major flood survivor you all have my deepest sympathy - what you are going through (shock+fear+adrenalin) and what you are about to go through in everything that comes after... it will be hard, very hard. I can tell you that when it gets tough, and it will be tough, know that there is a light at the end of tunnel, things will eventually return to normal. Just take one day at a time.

ASAP get:

Shop vacs
generator if possible - make sure to get extension cords and those clip on lights.
tall rubber boots
*** mid sized buckets that are flat on one side - they look like a half moon, they are great for scooping muck. I can't stress enough how important these are.
rubber 'dish gloves'
masks
heavy 'contractor' garbage bags, as many as you can get your hands on.
Lots of water.

Don't be proud, there will be lots of people who will want to help - total strangers, churches, etc. Accept their offers of assistance! Think of it this way, if the situation were different and your neighbor was in desperate straits and you were fine wouldn't you offer to help and not expect anything except their eternal gratitude in return. For me, this was the hardest thing of all, to accept that I was the victim and that I... I needed the charity of others.
Great. Thanks for the heads up. Currently as of this writing we are not allowed even near the town of High River where I live. RCMP and the Canadian Military have it on lock down. Still have no idea on the condition of my home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best wishes to you BGG'ers down there.
May your families be safe, house be salvageable, and may the waters have spared your favorite 3 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |