Marko Dobranic
Croatia
Mursko Središće
Međimurje
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first session report . I have managed to beat Osgiliath from 20th attempt What a ride it has been. This scenario is totally fun and exciting. I knew I am against mighty Witch-King, so first few plays I tried with Dwarf decks, strong Tactics cards to have great attack power and to be able to try to kill The Great Nazgul. That was a bad idea. I was never even close. shake So I changed my strategy and tried different approach. btw. I have only 1 core set, all 6 AP from Mirkwood cycle and Khazad-Dum, so you know my deck-building capabilities. Nasty enemies, especially Wolves from Moria (27/1/4/1/3-goes into encounter deck after destroying a character) were stoping me from advancing really. So I decided to try low starting threat and to keep it as long as possible under 27.

I played 1 deck, Spirit+Leadership. Heroes were: Theodred - for Leadership cards that I didn't not draw much this play (Guard of the Citadels, Faramir, Orc Slayer, Sneak Attack, Ever Vigilan, Celebrian's Stone, Steward of Gondor, Valiant Sacrifice) and for great resource boost. And also for being Rohan
Eowyn - great questing and +1 Willpower for discarded card
Dunhere - had Unexpected Courage on him + 1 Dunedain Mark (gives +1 attack). He was able to attack enemies in staging area at +4. He killed lots of Wainriders (def 1, hp 4) and Wolves from Moria (def 1, hp 3), though he needed 2 rounds for the kill.

The card that really I based my strategy on was Astonishing Speed that gives all Rohan characters +2 Willpower. I got it 1st round and saved it until stage 4. All my heroes were Rohan. I had lots of Rohan allies like West Road Traveller, Elfhelm, Westfold Horse-Breaker, even Snowbourn Scout (What? Me again? ) helped. Also Northern Tracker became Rohan via great card for my strategy: Nor Am I a Stranger.
So turn before last I was at stage 3. I sacrificed Theodred (because I lost Ranger of Ithilien round before in unsuccessful attempt to go to stage 4: but did get rid of 1 Location and that turn Dunghere cleaned up staging area a little ). My threat was 39. So this was all or nothing. I leaved 2 weak allies for Witch-King fodder. I quested successfully, went to stage 4. Pelennor Fields became active location (luckily with 6 progress tokens thanks to Northern Tracker), Witch-King killed one ally and I raised my threat level to 42 to keep him from staging area. He's got threat count of 6 and gives all questing characters -1 Willpower. I was trying to avoid both. So my last round came. I quested with all characters for total 18 WP (I needed 15 for stage 4 and 1 for active location). My finish threat level was 43. I revealed Snaga (just 1 threat) and I WON!

I also had few more interesting cards (deck was 70-75 cards). 3x Gandalf, Ancient Mathom (for 3 cards), We do not sleep - expensive spirit card (5) that allows Rohan characters to be committed to quest without being exhausted. It helped my few plays before where I almost won.
Also had great sphereless event Shadow of the Past (cost 2). It allows you to move top card of encounter discard pile to the top of the encounter deck. Like easy to kill Snaga Scouts or even better Objective card Ranger of Ithilien that was destroyed round before. And what a great card is that Objective card. What a relief and excitement what you reveal it from encounter deck or even better as Shadow card. It's totally thematic and fun surprise. I hope FFG will put more cards like this in new AP's and big expansions.
I have few more ideas how to try to beat this scenarios and really looking forward to play it in 2 or 3 players with my friends. Of course, I have to beat it at least once with dead Witch-King at the end sauron

My conclusion: This scenario is awesome and must have for all LOTR:LCG players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report!

mado78 wrote:
Snowbourn Scout (What? Me again?
As a long-time listener of the COTR podcast, this made me laugh. laugh

I'm also impressed you managed with a 70-75 card deck. With so many cards, you lose out on deck consistency and rely more on luck of the draw to get you the card you need at any given time.

But yes, I agree, great quest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Dobranic
Croatia
Mursko Središće
Međimurje
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COTR guys rule! For those of you who still don't listen to COTR: The Cardboard of the Rings is a bi-weekly podcast about Lord of the Rings: The Card Game which is Living Card Game created by Fantasy Flight Games.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepodcast/22743/cardboar...

Ever since COTR, whenever I play Snowbourn Scout or just see that card I hear Andrews voice saying "What? Me again?" and laugh I miss Andrew cry

Regarding my deck, I'm not really trying to have consistency and to have 50-card deck. I have an idea that I build my deck upon and throw in all cards I think might work well. Then I play and throw out cards that were not that usefull. I know it's more luck of the draw this way but it still lots of fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on escaping the Witch- King and thanks for your report! I really feel like playing this quest, now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwerg wrote:
Congratulations on escaping the Witch- King and thanks for your report! I really feel like playing this quest, now. :)
Must say it's probably my favourite quest. Tense and exciting, always challenging, and with a great enemy to defeat in the last stage. What more could I ask for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoM Lauzon
Canada
Saint-Lazare
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed to *almost make it today short by one progress token !

This was about my 12th try, after tuning and tuning a leadership-tactics deck with unexpectedly efficient Sam Gamgee, Pippin and Thalin (!).

Will report back if I make it cleanly andmore details about my deck.

Amazing quest :-)

I try to keep it in the 50-54 cards and everytime I make adjustment I feel I want to ad 9-12 more... hard decisions to make, but also lots of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls