Subject: Best card sleeves? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Mage Tower arrived last week, and it looks great. The cards are a little lighter weight than I'm comfortable playing with unprotected, so I want to sleeve them before play.

I normally use ultra-pro premium (ie cheap) sleeves, but they poke up about 4mm above the top of the card, meaning that they won't fit in the Mage Tower box. I also use Deck Protectors, but I think the heavier gauge would mean not all the cards would fit in the box!

My copy of Fox and Chickens arrived today, and included a pack of sleeves which seem like they'd be ideal. The tops are flush with the tops of the cards, and the plastic is only slightly thicker than the Ultra-Pros. I think they might be Swan Panasia, but am not sure...

Anybody got any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Brimmer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use penny sleeves, but any sleeves intended for a typical TCG style game like MTG or Pokemon shoooouuuuld work since the cards are the exact same size (63mm x 88mm). If you do get sleeves without clear backs, make sure that you have different colored backs for the different card types (player, monsters, demonspawn, co-op monsters). Wish I could help more but I just use penny sleeves hah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the ones I've used since 1994, when I was first informed that I should take better care of my Magic cards:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Card-Premium-Sleeves/dp/B000...

These are 'penny sleeves', right?

They do the trick and fit snugly, but the tend to be about 94mm long - about 4mm too long to fit in the Mage Tower box.

Is there a better fitting brand? I'm leaning more and more towards Swan Panasia, but would love to have somebody else to just do my thinking for me :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Brimmer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah I see what you mean, my sleeves are 94mm and putting them in the Mage Tower box is a pretty tight fit. Looking around on Google it doesn't look like there are sleeves that are shorter without being less wide. I know some people just put the sleeved cards in the Mage Tower box, though if you don't want there to be such a tight fit you could also get one of those long white cardboard trading card boxes from a local game store. Those are usually like $3. They're also really long so they can easily hold the high quantity of cards without having to take out the dice or anything.

But yeah if anyone has any other suggestions though that'd be cool haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Brimmer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After doing a little research it seems that maaaaaybe Mayday's sleeves are only 93mm in length, which would make them fit in the box? I found this thread from 2009 talking about how their next batch of sleeves would be 93mm:

http://maydaygames.com/premium-card-sleeves-50-pack-63-5-mm-...

And on their web site in the reviews for sleeves it talks about how these will fit 63mm x 88mm cards but not anything longer, implying that their sleeves are shorter than the normal 94mm:

http://maydaygames.com/premium-card-sleeves-50-pack-63-5-mm-...

I shot them an e-mail to find out the length and I'll post here when I get a response. I'm not sure if the Mage Tower box is long enough to fit the full sleeved set though, just to warn you. My guess is you'd have to set aside the dice/gems and maybe the co-op monsters or something into a separate container. Not sure though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Bear
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
I love CCGs/LCGs/Dice Games
badge
Everyday I'm Shufflin
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be late to respond, but I use Mayday greens and they fit perfectly (but just barely) and fit in the box without issue.

Only trouble I have atm is not enough sleeves! Though my mayday order should hit home any day now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grabbed a couple of packs of the Swan Panasia cheap sleeves, and they're a great fit. They all fit in the box, with ust enouh room for the dice at one end. Unfortunately, the sleeves don't slide nearly as nicely as any other brand I've tried, so I wouldn't recommend them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Brimmer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah sorry it took me a little over a week to get a response from Mayday, then I didn't have power for three days and things were crazy, and now I'm waiting for another response. I'm glad someone else could post about the Mayday sleeves, though I'll still post here when I get a response to get the exact measurements just for reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Brimmer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noting for posterity that they never responded with the measurements, though Panda Bear said Mayday sleeves worked for him, and you got some sleeves, so I guess it's all good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls