Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my first rejection letter from a publisher. I feel like I've been initiated now.

My game is a light strategy family/children's board game. There is a limited number of publishers to pursue for a game geared towards a younger audience so I find myself at a point wondering which to submit to next.

Self-publishing through Kickstarter feels a bit daunting but eventually I will have to look deeper at aspects of doing it myself if the traditional route doesn't pay off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Get used to the rejection letters. You will get 99% more of those than ever the acceptance.

Send off to other companies that might fit your game. Never know who it might click with and some may give you pointers on how to improve the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the saying? "Throw enough s#it at the wall and something will stick!" Not saying your game is that, I have no clue what it is, but my point being... don't give up and keep submitting, eventually someone will look at it and something will click and they'll either be interested, or point you towards someone who is.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had enough rejection letters that I contemplated the idea of trying to self-publish, but I never had the finances for it and my end result was to release it as a print and play. My life has gotten very busy and I haven't had a chance to work on a second game yet, but its still on my want to do list as I loved creating the first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Save all of the rejection letters... here is a great idea. When your game is finally published and sells well, each copy of the game should have a little booklet in the back with copies of all the rejection letters, so everyone can see the idiots who passed on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal Slayer wrote:
Save all of the rejection letters... here is a great idea. When your game is finally published and sells well, each copy of the game should have a little booklet in the back with copies of all the rejection letters, so everyone can see the idiots who passed on it.
That seems like it could reduce your prospects of doing business with those publishers in the future...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or it could make them realize what a great game they passed up and ask you to show them your next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of like how NBC cancelled Star Trek in it's third season because they didn't think it would go anywhere... Some idiot is kicking himself in the ass over that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldnt help.

Games often get rejected simply because the publisher is full up, isnt interested in that type of game allready, is allready making that type of game, or has made that type of game before and doesnt want to make another.

Or your game is too glitzed.

Or any other reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn publishers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Followed by Alimony Letter? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Mearns
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blaird wrote:
I had enough rejection letters that I contemplated the idea of trying to self-publish, but I never had the finances for it and my end result was to release it as a print and play. My life has gotten very busy and I haven't had a chance to work on a second game yet, but its still on my want to do list as I loved creating the first game.
I decided to go the route of self-publishing (didn't even try to pitch idea to publisher). It will take a lot of time and work. If you can do art (a game for children/family shouldn't be too extensive) yourself, that will save you a lot of money. I know I've only dropped ~$400 so far and that is including business cards, convention fees, prototypes, etc. You can find places to do prototypes for cheap (e.g. thegamecrafter.com)

It just takes time for the most part. As a self-publisher, you will have to build up an audience yourself (which is the problem I'm running into now). Usually that means dropping large amounts of cash on advertisements or contests (which I haven't done yet). I'm probably going to go the route of just getting booths at conventions (which should be a little less stressful on the pocketbook.. at least for my location... less than 3 hours from GenCon and Origins so I don't need plane tickets)

So, my advice to you is to start now if you are seriously thinking about self-publishing. Just start social media'ing it up!

TL;DR It'll take a lot of work and the risk is slightly higher financially, but the reward is higher(even if the reward isn't financial). Money shouldn't stop you from doing what you love!

Anyways, Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Clayton
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmearns wrote:

I decided to go the route of self-publishing (didn't even try to pitch idea to publisher). It will take a lot of time and work. If you can do art (a game for children/family shouldn't be too extensive) yourself, that will save you a lot of money. I know I've only dropped ~$400 so far and that is including business cards, convention fees, prototypes, etc. You can find places to do prototypes for cheap (e.g. thegamecrafter.com)
So, my advice to you is to start now if you are seriously thinking about self-publishing. Just start social media'ing it up!

TL;DR It'll take a lot of work and the risk is slightly higher financially, but the reward is higher(even if the reward isn't financial). Money shouldn't stop you from doing what you love!
This is the route I've decided to take. I don't see this as my job (even though it'd be cool to do it for a living) so I might as well see the games from start to finish. If another publisher wants to pick it up and rebrand it or just distribute it en masse that'd be great but I won't count on it. Perhaps I'll get lucky and strike oil so to speak with the next .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K KS
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
I guess i will be taking the self publishing route also in the future once my game is done.

I guess it's even harder if you are at the other side of the world

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Irish wrote:
I thought this was going to be about designing the sequel to Love Letter
Now THAT's an awesome idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the nicest rejection letters I ever got, the publisher told me that they were going to pass on it, but to please send other games I have to them.

Most of the times it's just basically "No."

Every once in a while it's "No because..." Those are good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfugeek wrote:
One of the nicest rejection letters I ever got, the publisher told me that they were going to pass on it, but to please send other games I have to them.

Most of the times it's just basically "No."

Every once in a while it's "No because..." Those are good, too.
And on rare occasions you'll get "No... But here are some suggestions for improving it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
...the general world of publishing...

Author Philip K Dick got so bored of submitting books he submitted a boardgame once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kinsley
Australia
Kenthurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Chosen by Danny Henning (dan_hnnng) As a consolation prize with the highest tip of 280.00 from my G4GG giveaway getting to choose my avatar for 280 days - till 7/10/2013
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely be asking if they had feedback (both positive and negative) and if they know anyone else who may be more interested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nunn
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PK1988 wrote:
I would definitely be asking if they had feedback (both positive and negative) and if they know anyone else who may be more interested...
Enthusiastic +1!

Rejection is not failure. Rejection is an opportunity to do better the next time.

Zong Shi was rejected several times before it finally found its home.

If the publisher liked the game but had no spot in their product line for it, I immediately asked for advice about where to take it next AND secured the publisher's permission to use him or her as a reference.

Each time the game was rejected for mechanical reasons, I solicited specific feedback on every issue the test group had with the game. Because Zong Shi was getting the same negative comments repeatedly, it was clear that the issue was with the game rather than any particular publisher's taste. The game was reworked to address those comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: PowerBot Dice fanMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Meeple Syrup Show fanMicrobadge: 2019 9 Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest participantMicrobadge: Drive Thru Video Review fan
Metal Slayer wrote:
Kind of like how NBC cancelled Star Trek in it's third season because they didn't think it would go anywhere... Some idiot is kicking himself in the ass over that one.
i'll see your star trek and raise you a firefly...jk

I've been rejected once per game, 2 games total. I once showed James M. a WIP where he rightfully laughed.

I now invested in a new game and I'm kickstarting it. No publisher will see it. I have offered my designs to the best publishers but unfairly informal. I guess I am expecting them to beg.

To the Publishers
Because I only execute theme and primary mechanics I don't expect to be taken serious. Since EVERY Publisher wants to muck with your design I leave off on my action cards and exact card counts. If I develop that part and play test it... then Kickstarter here I come.

If I was a publisher taking on designs I would be tougher then all the publishers combined so I am very understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Garton
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1994, I sent a prototype of my 'The Stock Car Championship Racing Card Game' to a publisher.

They rejected the game, sent a letter back and said:
1. Racing Games don't sell.
2. There is nothing novel in your game design.

This was when NASCAR was skyrocketing in popularity.

Well, I self published 1000 games, and put out the 1st edition.

Then I got an unsolicited letter from Avalon Hill, signed by Don Greenwood, that they were interested in my game. I went and talked to them, but it didn't pan out and they got bought out shortly after that, anyway.

I printed the 2nd edition adding more track decks and driver deck colors in 1998. I still sell those, but stock is dwindling. Hey, I printed 5000 in the 2nd print run, it takes a while to peddle that many.

I've went on to design other games, but have yet to put any in to production. Guess I'm just a "One Hit Wonder".

I think soon I'll have to either put out a new game or reprint Stock car ver 2.0. WE'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well shortly after this OP a small publisher began talking with me about my game. The prototype shipped out yesterday and hopefully good things will come from this.

Thanks for all of the encouraging replies. The various thoughts and stories help to form a well-rounded view of getting shot down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello I Am Jim
badge
Yo
mbmbmbmbmb
I was skimming through here and then I saw the last post. That is awesome! Good luck with any future endeavors with the publishing of your game cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
substandardtim wrote:
Well shortly after this OP a small publisher began talking with me about my game. The prototype shipped out yesterday and hopefully good things will come from this.

Thanks for all of the encouraging replies. The various thoughts and stories help to form a well-rounded view of getting shot down.
Cool! Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |