Victory Point Games» Forums » General

Subject: Proper flag representation for Spanish units at Bailen 20 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viscount Hill
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fan of the Napoleonic 20 series, a person particularly interested in Peninsular War scenario and Spanish citizen I was very glad to read some days ago VPG is preparing a Bailen 20 game for this series next releases. But, on the other hand, I could not help to feel a bit anxious when I saw in a photo of the prototype Spanish troops counters represented by the current Spanish flag consisting in three horizontal stripes: red, yellow and red.

So knowing some VPG & Napoleonic 20 people very kindly support questions and some other issues in this forum, I thought I could not pass the chance to point out the reason of my “anxiety”: this flag can hardly represent Spanish troop of Napoleonic wars as it was no used then by any Spanish land unit (well, almost any). Instead, as seen in any proper and historical representation, Spanish troops used the Cross of Burgundy, usually in red with a white or yellow background.

For further clarification a couple of Wikipedia entrances:

Flag of Spain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Spain
“During the Peninsular War the flag could also be found on marine regiments fighting inland. Not until 1820 was the first Spanish land unit (The La Princesa Regiment) provided with one and it was not until 1843 that Queen Isabella II of Spain would make the flag official.”

Cross of Burgundy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_Burgundy
“The Cross of Burgundy flag was used by Spain 1506-1701 as a naval ensign, and up to 1843 as the land battle flag”

I know I’m talking about a prototype built just for playtesting purposes and not the definitive art design, but just in case, as the red, yellow and red horizontal stripes have already been used to represent Spanish troops in some other battles already released (Salamanca 20 in Fading Glory by GMT)

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a too much of a perfectionist person. But I love the series, I’m a bit of an evangelist here in my home town, and this mistake could be quite a bit anachronistic. To get the idea, just picture yourself a game about American War of Independence depicting American flags with 50+ starts instead of 13, or without leaving Napoleonic 20, Russians units at Borodino 20 o Smolensk 20 represented by the current Russian flag colors white, blue and red.

so I thought maybe somebody should be aware about it just in case....whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm aware of the flag issue and originally submitted the files using the "Cross of Burgundy" as the reverse side for the testkit counters, but because VPG didn't have an appropriate .jpg on file they used the "marine" flag instead (simply as a filler). We'll try to ensure the correct flag is used on the backs of the production version of the game.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viscount Hill
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good news (as usual from you guys)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.