Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Bayely
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happily getting myself involved ever deeper in my war gaming obsession. I have ASL Starter #2 shipping. I have OSC's Reluctant Enemies on preorder as well as Korea: The Forgotten War and VCS Salerno. As I have been a miniature board gamer, I am not used to war game counter culture and as I research more into this world I have come across a large group of self professedly ashamed OCD individuals who on dark and stormy nights, huddle on the BGG forums to discuss guilty and in hushed tones their dark satanic practices of corner clipping counters.

Tips about how to, what size, what product is best. Fascinating stuff just to read about. But my question is why???? Does it enable better handling and longevity of the pieces. Is their some good juju that comes of it. Why alter your games this way? Is this just a purely aesthetic practice, because it looks nice. my favorite theory is that its a subconscious act of violence and hatred projected towards your war game for making you suffer through those huge, dense satanic grimoires called rules manuals.

Please enlighten me as enquiring minds would like to know, why do you go through the torture of corner clipping everything in Case Blue, literally working yourself to the bone if a craft knife should slip, shedding blood and tears over this pursuit?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a maniacal clipper, but I think I can explain the practice.

Most wargame counters, after they are punched out, have little projections on the corners (these are what held them in the cardboard frame.) When you put a bunch of these on a hex map, these projections tend to hook onto neighboring counters, so that when you try to move one you drag others along and disarrange an entire section of the map. This is especially true if there are a lot of counters in a small area. Clipping eliminates this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no wargamer myself, but the answer I've been given to the question of "Why clip counters?" is two fold:

1) Octagons fit inside hexagons better than squares do, particularly as the width of the chit approaches the width of the map space.

2) Obtuse angles are more resistant to splitting and fraying than right angles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if one was to skip this practice... would that be cutting corners?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calpurnius wrote:
But my question is why???? Does it enable better handling and longevity of the pieces. Is their some good juju that comes of it. Why alter your games this way? Is this just a purely aesthetic practice, because it looks nice. my favorite theory is that its a subconscious act of violence and hatred projected towards your war game for making you suffer through those huge, dense satanic grimoires called rules manuals.

Yes. To all of the above (well, except _maybe_ the satanic grimoire part).

Clipped counters (and the best way to clip is to use a corner rounder) look better, fit in the hexes easier, stack better, and don't fray.

And the very act of clipping counters is a peaceful meditative process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
So if one was to skip this practice... would that be cutting corners?

You are going to cutting corners either way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am the same way... I cut corners by not cutting corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't clip, I round, and I do so because it just looks better than having all that fraying cardboard at the corners. It makes them look like itty bitty iOS buttons.

I can post some pics when I get home...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
I don't clip, I round, and I do so because it just looks better than having all that fraying cardboard at the corners. It makes them look like itty bitty iOS buttons.

I can post some pics when I get home...

Yes, post pics! But also explain... how do you "round" the corner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Never understood the practice, myself, in more than 40 years of wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal Slayer wrote:

Ahhh. This thread is the ultimate guide to corner rounding:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/753278/implementing-the-perf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think back on some of the 'bookshelf' games a friend of mine had when we were in university - these were things like Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 which routinely had 1500+ counters in them. Clipping all of the corners off of those (6000+ cuts per game) makes me want to curl up in a ball and whimper.

And people do this regularly??!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffcuetis wrote:
I think back on some of the 'bookshelf' games a friend of mine had when we were in university - these were things like Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945 which routinely had 1500+ counters in them. Clipping all of the corners off of those (6000+ cuts per game) makes me want to curl up in a ball and whimper.

And people do this regularly??!?!

It's called being a true grognard tyvm. And the link a couple posts above mine cover this topic as well as can be done.

/thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice on my ASL start kit, when I stack things they don't stack right because of all these little "tails" that the counters have on their corners, plus sometimes the "tails" hook together when I try to pick one up. I think clipping them would be a help, it is just the time it takes to clip them, I don't want to do! lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
It is an addiction for me.

I found unclipped counters easier to handle (especially with tweezers),
but once I started....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Clipped counters (and the best way to clip is to use a corner rounder) look better, fit in the hexes easier, stack better, and don't fray.

The latter points, perhaps. But "look better"? I can't help but remember the times I've looked over an array of misfit proportioned octagons that used to be square counters on some convention wargamers' board and wondered what fit of post game loss loathing prompted the games owner to mutilate his game in retaliation of.

I've no doubt there are gamers who manage to make perfectly clipped counters that look like a precise machine did the task - but most of the ones I've seen look more like a crystal meth addicted termite nibbled the edges as a snack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Metal Slayer wrote:

Ahhh. This thread is the ultimate guide to corner rounding:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/753278/implementing-the-perf...

This is the exact rounder I use for thick counters. For thinner cardstock/laminate work I use the general corner rounders available in any craft store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which size works best of ASL sized counters? 3mm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think you sorta answered your own question: OCD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I got my first wargame with chits I started to clip the edges. Saying that, I would much rather deal with putting stickers on blocks and calling it good since blocks are vastly easier to handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
As soon as I got my first wargame with chits I started to clip the edges. Saying that, I would much rather deal with putting stickers on blocks and calling it good since blocks are vastly easier to handle.

If I had to pick between cardboard chits or stickered blocks, I'd pick the blocks too, they look nicer and are easier to handle for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Bayely
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TankBoy wrote:
"Calpurnius"At first I was Like
Yup, they look much nicer being clipped and stack better without those little tuft sticking off the corner. Or could just be the OCDdevil "Calpurnius" Then I was like

The combined and since clipped 5,500+ counters for Case Blue & Guderian's Blitzkrieg II

"Calpurnius"Then I was like surprisewowwowsurprisesurprisewowwowsurprisesurprise and inside i was cry for you

PS
In all seriousness beautifully organised and sorted sir, epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of clipped counters. It makes them look more "finished". It is truly a matter of preference, however.

I have purchased used games where the counters looked more like octagons, and I agree that more than a very small amount off the corner is too much.

As for the time it takes, I have an old cd case with the corner sanded off that allows just a bit of a counter's corner to be nipped off with a set of small nail clippers. You can run through a hundred counters during a half hour TV program pretty easily.

The need for clipping has become a bit less as die cutting seems to have gotten better on many games.

Some random ideas for you consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KGBRadioMoskow wrote:
The latter points, perhaps. But "look better"? I can't help but remember the times I've looked over an array of misfit proportioned octagons that used to be square counters on some convention wargamers' board and wondered what fit of post game loss loathing prompted the games owner to mutilate his game in retaliation of.

I've no doubt there are gamers who manage to make perfectly clipped counters that look like a precise machine did the task - but most of the ones I've seen look more like a crystal meth addicted termite nibbled the edges as a snack.

Fair enough. Using the right tool is essential to making the consistent perfect cuts which are critical for the proper aesthetics.

I used to use finger nail clippers and thought I did a decent job. Once I switched to the 3mm corner rounder tool it made my previous clips noticeably yucky. I actually reclipped the nail clipped counters with the corner rounder, when possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal Slayer wrote:
Which size works best of ASL sized counters? 3mm?

Most ASL counters are 1/2". The 3mm makes a pretty severe cut on smaller counters like 1/2". I personally like it, and I've trimmed my ASLSK sets, but YMMV.

They are coming out with a 2.5mm tool later this summer that I think would be perfect for 1/2" and 5/8" counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.