Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own a suit that fits. I thought that would cost me during my interview for a job I later earned (and start Monday), and felt I should own at least one. I also don't own a sport coat.

I also have had the same pair of glasses for over a decade. One lens has a crack or two, but I never felt that I was going blind or anything.

Today, my only weekday off after resigning from the teaching profession, I chose to take care of these loose ends.

My wife and I went to Mens Wearhouse (the place that just fired their founder and spokesman, for whatever reason), and we see they got a special; buy one suit or sport coat, and get another for only $100. Sounds good.

The guy who serves us (I swear I had flashbacks to that old BBC comedy) is very nice and recommends one particular suit that, according to the missus, looks very good on me. He also picks a sport coat (cost unnecessary, as I'll pay $100 either way) that, in his minds, fits like a glove right off the shelf. (My wife concurs.) A few measurements later, I'm good to go (and pick up the suit a week later; we leave with the sport coat). He also suggests new shoes, shirts and ties, but I'm only interested in a suit and sport coat. After all, I don't want to spend too much.

I probably should have asked about the cost upfront, but I thought I read (on a wall) that the particular suit I was getting cost around $350. It wasn't until I got to checkout that I learned that the brand I thought I was getting for the suit, was actually the brand for the sport coat, and the suit brand was, in fact, rather pricey.

Including alterations, my total cost: over $750.

surprise

(At the least, I better find reasons to wear the suit now! I have no such concerns about the sport coat; I'm wearing that my first day at work.)

We go to the local mall's Lenscrafters later that day. Fortunately, my insurance covers the eye exam (only a $30 copay needed).

I learn that, with my glasses on, my vision is about 20/70 ... and without them on, even the first line's E is blurry for me, meaning I'm probably around 20/200 (or worse) without glasses. Funny, I don't feel blind without them on.

Long story short, the lenses I need (for such a severe prescription) run me over $600! On the plus side, the store has a 40% off sale on lenses and frames (the latter of which I went cheap on, paying about $100 before the discount). On the minus side, it turns out that this store is not covered by my insurance (or at least, not completely; the amount I pay after getting a discount through insurance would have been roughly the same as what I paid without it).

Net total cost: over $450.

surprise surprise

In total, I paid over $1200 for those two trips.

surprise surprise surprise surprise

On the plus side, I learned yesterday that I had one paycheck more from my former employer than I originally thought, and that pay pretty much covers the whole day.

That said, I'm probably setting a record for the next credit card bill I get.

Well, you get what you pay for, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should always call your insurance co. first. Find out which opticians are covered at full, or maximum coverage.

In my experience, the shopping mall chain stores are not "discount" opticians. their prices, especially after insurance coverage, run from the middle to middle-high within your local market.

I'm not in the biz, but I've worn glasses for 45 years.

And... YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I retired, all of my suits retired also.

However, the glasses and contact lenses get updated frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Lenscrafters is part of a huge conglomerate (Luxottica) that now controls the vast majority of the market share of the eyewear industry. They charge crazy high prices just because they can. Avoid if possible.

I have been getting my glasses from Wal-Mart and they are much more reasonably priced. Other options outside of the Luxottica empire include: Costco, and some smaller internet companies like Warby Parker, which is nice if you're looking for a particular style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: We're all mad about JonnaMicrobadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: Tenderness and kindness are manifestations of strength and resolutionsMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange Participant
When Mystery Bob needed to buy a suit for our wedding we went to Men's Warehouse and found their selection great, but the prices way high. We ended up at Burdine's--comparable to Macy's--and he got a very nice designer wool suit, shirt, 2 ties, belt, and shoes for way less than anything we saw at Men's Warehouse.

We go to Sears Optical for glasses/contacts and I always wait until they have a special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
Long story short, the lenses I need (for such a severe prescription) run me over $600!
Think about how much a High Definition TV would cost you, and realize that this will not only make the tv and movies you watch more clear, but now everything will be seen in high definition! It's a relative bargain when you think of it that way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 20/20 vision and don't wear suits.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls