Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Wishing everyone a happy 2019!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased an unpunched copy of Fury in the West from an ebay seller, and I liked the rules so much that I decided to play the first day scenario solo to see how the game played. Normally I might look for articles in The General beforehand, but this time I decided to just play and let the chips fall where they may. I also decided to use all of the optional rules except for G (alternate Confederate first day setup), and H (fog of war).

The Union sets up first, with all the Army of The Tennessee's infantry having mandatory placement. There is some flexibility with placement of artillery and generals, but you're not going to see a lot of variation here. Confederate setup allows for some more planning, and I ended up going with Hardee's III Corps set up to attack the Union right, Bragg's II Corps attacking in the middle, and Polk's I Corps sharing responsibility for the Union left with Breckenridge's Reserve Corps, while keeping 2 infantry brigades and 1 artillery brigade in reserve on the Confederate right.

The initial attacks went very poorly for the Rebels. The brigades of Cleburn and Hindman were routed by a stout Federal defense at the western end of Oak Creek, and while a crossing was forced further east, the surprise factor turned out to be of little value.
The Union began an orderly withdrawal, while the divisions camped to the north formed into columns and headed south. Here is the situation at the front at the end of turn 1:

Things began going downhill for the Federals here. Continued Rebel attacks confounded most attempts by the Union to organize a solid defense, and the few weak counterattacks The Army of The Tennessee could mount all failed - except for one, which briefly forced the CSA brigades out of the Sunken Road, but eventually Grant's army was forced to vacate most of this defense in the east.

Although General Sherman (along with McDowell's and Buckland's brigades) narrowly avoided capture, there was little good news on the Northern side. The Federals were being squeezed into a smaller perimeter, and thus far had shown little ability to alleviate pressure in any sector of the battle:

As noon approached, the Confederates suddenly realized that the Yankees had put themselves in an excellent defensive position, with artillery covering approaches and infantry brigades able to protect each other quite well. Furthermore, the losses due to stragglers were becoming alarming, so the attack was halted to rest and regain stragglers.
This suited the Bluecoats just fine, as time was on their side and straggler recovery was nearly as large a necessity for them. This situation persisted for two turns, until the Rebel attack finally resumed, this time centering around the wheat field between the Peach Orchard and the Hornet's Nest. The seesaw battles here continued for another two turns, and saw the Union slowly pushed back to the Hornet's Nest.

In the meantime, General Hardee, along with the brigades of Chalmers, Pond, and Gladden, attempted to make a run up the west edge of the battlefield, with the goal of taking Pittsburg Landing before the Federals could react. Cheatham's 2nd Division made a heroic attempt to pin down Federal forces in support on the Hamburg-Savanah (River) Road, but General Wallace was able to extricate two brigades and place them in position to defend the landing.

At this point, with darkness soon approaching, the battle had degenerated into three main fights, one in the Hornet's Nest, one around the crossroads just northwest of Shiloh Church, and one around the western end of Tillghman Creek.

Unfortunately, I have no more pictures, as I bumped the table hard enough to move every piece with no hope of figuring out where they had all been. As far as I can tell, the Confederates had the lead in victory points, but there were still enough turns left that it could definitely have gone either way.

The really gripping thing about this game is the use of stragglers. Every turn involves some difficult decisions as to whether units should be rested or pushed just a little bit further. In addition, the fact that there are several ways to score victory points means that great flexibility is required in both sides' battle plans.

I am looking forward to playing again soon - hopefully on a more stable platform!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik

Very nice AAR on the Day 1 scenario

Fury has been a favorite of mine since the original Batteline edition.
Yes the Stragglers add a new dimension to the game as about anything you do creates them.No more running units everywhere and slamming them into fight after fight. Now you must rest to get back some of the stragglers or your units will be mere shadows of their once proud formations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for reading - I remember looking at this game in AH catalogs when I was a kid and kind of thinking "meh."

I had no idea what a great system was hidden away here. The straggler situation gets downright aggravating (in the best way), which makes for fantastic tension on every turn. Getting the opportunity to rest some brigades is like breathing new life into your army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, if you type the word "large" at the end of the jpeg number [123456789large], your pics will enlarge and viewers can enlarge them more by clicking on the -/+ at their above left corner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cruces
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am giving it a go with a Vassal Buddy. Looking forward to see how it works. He and I played the Across 5 Aprils version of Shiloh. This is more involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game, I've been thinking about getting it back to the table soon. Let me know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.