Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kotep
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

How much fun is this game?

Or rather, is this game fun to replay? Is it easy to learn for both me and the wife? The only survival game we've played is Zombies!!! We both think that game is OK, but this one looks like it's much more fun...and possibly a lot more complex.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Crawford
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey MC, I'm in the same boat. I read the rules this week and played two solo games. Its the best Zombie game I have played so far, it seems to give a much better coop feel without the screw you mechanics of Zombie!!! I'm hoping to play a game with my wife tomorrow night. I'll post her observations on the game as we both love the zombie theme. I'm also eagerly anticipating Dark Darker Darkest, I think it might dethrone LNOE as my favourite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kotep
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking I may go get it tomorrow. Sounds very promising, especially since I'll want to play with my lady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the first real board game I introduced to my girlfriend and she loved it, still one of her favorites. I have played this more than any other game I own and it never gets old. There are tons of scenarios and the expansions really make the game shine, Run, don't walk to get this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only read the rules to LNoEtZG, I have Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian game and prefer it. I had to get used to the idea of Martians landing in a circus, the lacking of clowns. Now I just think of Orson Well's War of the Worlds broadcast, that they just overshot and landed at the circus.

It has been a long time, but, as I remember, the Martians can not go thru walls, like zombies, there is one Martian Beast that can, it has the zombie hunger feature, aka must move to an opponent's spot if adjacent when on the move, the regular Martians don't have this requirement. There is a Martian leader that has special abilities,  can move and shoot better, applies to the group of Martians he is in. There is that Martian control center panel which adds a lot to that side of the game.

Hey, it has JoJo the bear and a guy you can fire out of a cannon. 

Which ever game you get you will probably want to paint the figures in the game, it adds a lot of ambience.

These are all just good Beer and Pretzels AmericanTrash  games, you can't go too wrong with the right group with either of them. 

PS, you can combine the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only second what everyone else has said. Get this game. It's a winner. I have lots of games, and yet this one remains a
favorite. Zombies! is ok, but LNoE is a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to get this game on the table three times. First two times, the players won the 'kill 15' beginner's scenario. Third time I tried the escape in the truck. Due to a combination of some luck and cards, I made it impossible for the human player to win which resulted in a lot of bad feelings.

I've since gone back to my ways of playing a game master as though it's a roleplaying game, make it a challenge, always give them a way to win, and don't just destroy the players. I still haven't been able to get this game back on the table though, due to the bad feelings from that one experience.

It's a pity, because I do like the theme, and am considering switching places so that I can be the humans. I don't mind getting squashed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kotep
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm heading down to one of the hobby shops in town today...and as a bonus, they're advertising 10% off all board games!

I'm kind of curious about Mice and Mystics as well...my wife thinks that one looks cool too.

Anyways, thanks again everybody. You've pretty well sold me on LNoE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
High replay value because of the variable board setup. Even without expansions, there are a lot of combos. Also having a nice variety of heroes to choose from and a big deck to draw from means you won't see many games get setup quite the same way twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Add another girlfriend vote. Mine has played several times and it's a favorite of hers after Touch of Evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife doesn't play this as much with my daughter and I, but it's one that I LOVE to play. My daughter really enjoys playing the Zombies.

the rules are very easy to grasp, and the scenarios are very replayable. I have no qualms calling LNoE the most complete and best zombie game out there, especially adding in a few expansions.

There are free scenarios downloadable from the publisher's website, the expansions add a ton of customization to your games (I mean really, it becomes a toolkit with a wide range of possibilities once you add in Growing Hunger and Survival of the Fittest, and then go on from there...).

This game, no matter how many times I've played it, is just a fun experience. If you have even a slight fondness for zombies and/or Zombie B Movies, the scenarios play out just like that. there are straightforward "Kill X Amount of zombies by Daybreak" scenarios, and more story oriented ones where you defend a mansion, or try to get the keys and gas for a truck and escape the zombie infested town.

Honestly, even with all of the other Zombie games that have come out, I feel comfortable still recommending Last Night on Earth. It is very expandable, infinitely enjoyable, and you definitely get your money's worth.

I also am one who found the soundtrack to be appropriately cheesy but effective, and I do play it occasionally as a game is in progress...lol. I mean, who does that? Who includes a soundtrack CD other than Flying Frog Productions?

we shelved ZOMBIES!!! after buying this game, and have not even felt the need to go into these multi-hundreds of dollar zombie kickstarter nonsense. LNoE does it all, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FunkyFlyChicken wrote:
My wife doesn't play this as much with my daughter and I, but it's one that I LOVE to play. My daughter really enjoys playing the Zombies.

the rules are very easy to grasp, and the scenarios are very replayable. I have no qualms calling LNoE the most complete and best zombie game out there, especially adding in a few expansions.

There are free scenarios downloadable from the publisher's website, the expansions add a ton of customization to your games (I mean really, it becomes a toolkit with a wide range of possibilities once you add in Growing Hunger and Survival of the Fittest, and then go on from there...).

This game, no matter how many times I've played it, is just a fun experience. If you have even a slight fondness for zombies and/or Zombie B Movies, the scenarios play out just like that. there are straightforward "Kill X Amount of zombies by Daybreak" scenarios, and more story oriented ones where you defend a mansion, or try to get the keys and gas for a truck and escape the zombie infested town.

Honestly, even with all of the other Zombie games that have come out, I feel comfortable still recommending Last Night on Earth. It is very expandable, infinitely enjoyable, and you definitely get your money's worth.

I also am one who found the soundtrack to be appropriately cheesy but effective, and I do play it occasionally as a game is in progress...lol. I mean, who does that? Who includes a soundtrack CD other than Flying Frog Productions?

we shelved ZOMBIES!!! after buying this game, and have not even felt the need to go into these multi-hundreds of dollar zombie kickstarter nonsense. LNoE does it all, imo.
Personally I wish they'd drop the silly soundtrack CDs. The music is universally awful...beyond even being entertainingly cheesy. I'm not sure how much I'm paying for that disc but I don't like the thought of paying even a single penny for it. It has to cost something...materials, shipping weight, etc. If they feel some artistic need to include it, why not just put a download link in each copy of the game and leave the physical disc out of the box? If it knocked ANYTHING off the price of the game (a dollar or less?) it would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing that the game sells for around 40 bucks, Includes a versatile tile set, tons of cards and dice, good quality components and miniatures, I don't think you could really complain or ask for lower. It's just like a nice freebie, added bonus. Take it or leave it. I've payed far more for worse games with less components...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyFlyChicken wrote:
We shelved ZOMBIES!!! after buying this game. LNoE does it all.
Agree 100 per cent! After my first play of LNOE my Zombies!!! stuff went straight onto e-bay and was re-invested in LNOE expansions. The best bit of e-bay I've ever done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is one of only two 10s in my Ratings. It's awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Forlo
msg tools
LNoE is an amazing game. Start with the simplest scenario -kill 15 zombies- and don't worry about expansions until you've played a few of the scenarios in the box. The only caveat I would give is that it can be time consuming; be sure to set a couple hours aside for your first play through. Also add an hour if you're drinking whistle

If you go to Flying Frog's web site, they have a few free scenarios online:
http://www.flyingfrog.net/lastnightonearth/

Also they have a wiki, because they are that hip:
http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=Category:Last_Night_on_Earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warpspider_73 wrote:
I'm heading down to one of the hobby shops in town today...and as a bonus, they're advertising 10% off all board games!

I'm kind of curious about Mice and Mystics as well...my wife thinks that one looks cool too.

Anyways, thanks again everybody. You've pretty well sold me on LNoE!
Did you buy LNOE?

I was looking at buying LNOE or Zombies!!! game and leaning more towards the latter. However, after reading the many player comments and reviews I ordered LNOE last weekend. I plan to try it out next weekend. thanks to all posters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demonbite wrote:
LNoE is an amazing game. Start with the simplest scenario -kill 15 zombies- and don't worry about expansions until you've played a few of the scenarios in the box. The only caveat I would give is that it can be time consuming; be sure to set a couple hours aside for your first play through. Also add an hour if you're drinking whistle

If you go to Flying Frog's web site, they have a few free scenarios online:
http://www.flyingfrog.net/lastnightonearth/

Also they have a wiki, because they are that hip:
http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=Category:Last_Night_on_Earth
Thanks for the links to the free scenarios!

I only managed to play one solo game of LNOE. I think the game will make more sense once I get a few multiplayer games under my belt.

I missed a lot of rules early on in my solo session. The dead zombie count reached 7 out of 15 in a few turns making me think the game is way to easy for the heroes. Then I reread the rules and found I was treating the "fending off zombies" results as dead zombies results! D'oh!
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls