No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone here ever play solo 1 player with 4 heroes? how do you fare against hard scenarios ? your starting threat is higher than normal but you can easily plow thru the beginning phase where your allies and stuff still dormant/inactive.

will this make the game a bit easier ? or too easy ?

will this make the game fun ? or boring ?

personally i play with 6 heroes but its 2 players solitaire so the difficulty is still controlled by added encounter card draws. im just curious if other people ever try solo single player deck with 4 heroes like the saga bilbo baggins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading about a player using such an arrangement in a thread from several months ago (I can't recall if that was on BGG or FFG forums). I think they took the average threat of the four heroes and multiplied by three to obtain their starting threat value. I believe play continued as normal, one resource per hero per round etc. It made the game easier but not unbearably so.

EDIT: I've never tried it, so I can't speak to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you went with all of the lowest threat heroes, you could start with 26 threat. Not that bad.

Glorfindel (Spirit - 5)
Eleanor (Spirit - 7)
Frodo (Spirit - 7)
Bifor (Lore - 7)

It seems like it would make everything way too easy, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never tried it myself but it has been discussed before. Would certainly make the game easier but perhaps worth trying if you are finding the game too hard. One of the strengths of LOTR is that it is easy for players to experiment with changing the rules to make the game more fun (in the past I have added "house rules" to make the game harder, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agreed on the experimenting part.. certainly playing solo 2 player deck bring 6 heroes on the table and making it easier than pure solo but crossing the sacrosant rule and adding 1 more hero for a solo deck, thats something i never do... yet hehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrd23 wrote:
Never tried it myself but it has been discussed before. Would certainly make the game easier but perhaps worth trying if you are finding the game too hard. One of the strengths of LOTR is that it is easy for players to experiment with changing the rules to make the game more fun (in the past I have added "house rules" to make the game harder, for example).
Why not just use easy mode then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladimir17 wrote:
jrd23 wrote:
Because this might be more fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrd23 wrote:
Vladimir17 wrote:
jrd23 wrote:
Because this might be more fun?
easy mode are another thing, this is more like a fun variant hehehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clarke
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios in the 'Hobbit' boxes introduce Bilbo as an extra hero, so when playing solo with one deck you are using four heroes. You do need him as the scenarios are quite hard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls