4 Posts

Dust Warfare: Core Rulebook» Forums » General

Subject: Transitioning from DT to DW... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Populi
msg tools
mb
So, I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is the basic difference between the two games in terms of mechanics and depth and how does this affect gameplay? I understand that suppression is a new element, but what else sets DW apart?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asside from suppression, I think the biggest thing that stuck out to me was squad building.

There are pretty specific rules about how to build a platoon, what kind of units are available, how many heroes you can have, how many "support" units, which includes mechs and sniper squads, etc.

There are some more subtle changes that are kind of a big deal in some circumstances:

Vehicles get critical hits

games only last for 5 turns

"pick up" games have a scenario creation system based on bidding "points" by each player which can drastically alter start and victory conditions.

The command phase and reactions are a big departure from Dust Tactics too... If you win the initiative you have fewer free command points to spend.

All in all, I like it better than Dust Tactics... it is definitely deeper... LOS and cover rules are a little more obtuse, imo, than they are in dust tactics, but I imaging that's to be expected when you go from squares to inches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a whole reaction mechanic that, in addition to suppression, adds a great tactical element to the game. And, yes, the platoon builder and scenario building mechanics also add a strategic element before the action starts.

I enjoyed Dust Tactics at first, but now that I've started playing Dust Warfare, I doubt I'll ever play DT again, aside from with my son or with somebody totally new to gaming. First miniatures rules set I've actually enjoyed. If you already have everything for Dust Tactics, the cost of the DW Core Rulebook is definitely worth the risk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
RexPopuli wrote:
So, I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is the basic difference between the two games in terms of mechanics and depth and how does this affect gameplay? I understand that suppression is a new element, but what else sets DW apart?

Thanks

Check my review here on BGG. It addresses most differences between the two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.