United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

What do you think is the optimal number of players for the games in my collection:

Carcassonne with Inns & Cathedrals expansion
Power Grid
Ra
Through the Desert
Ticket to Ride
Tikal
Torres

The reason I ask is because I played Through the Desert tonight for the second time. The first time I played with 4 players, tonight I played with 5 players, and tonight's game was a noticeably less enjoyable experience.

In contrast, I played Torres for the third time tonight. The first time I played with 4 players, the second time with 2, and tonight with 3 -- and each game was great! Torres seems to scale quite nicely.

What do you think?

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne with Inns & Cathedrals expansion: 2-5
Power Grid 4-5
Ticket to Ride 2-5, but most people will say 4-5.
Tikal 4
Torres 4, but that's after only 1 play.

I think TtR and Carcassonne (and La Città and PR and...) are great with whatever number of players. Tikal is best with four, quite good with 2, not so good with 3. Haven't played TtD and Ra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
> Carcassonne with Inns & Cathedrals expansion

Don't know I&C expansion, but I like basic Carcassonne best with 3 or 4 players.

> Ra

Scales very nicely. I think I like it best with 4, but 3 and 5 players works very well too.

> Through the Desert

Works best with 3 I think, 4 is also great, 5 players is too cluttered. Never played with 2, but from what I've heard it becomes a very different game then.

> Ticket to Ride

Best with 3 or 4, with 5 the board becomes a bit full, it's lame with 2 players because there's little competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Carcassonne with Inns & Cathedrals expansion = 2 or 3
Ra = 3
Tikal = 3 or 2
Torres = 2,3,4 (scales well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As a cross-reference, here is the meta-list for all of the "number of players lists"

75 GeekLists About Number Of Players: 2,3,4,5,6,7,8

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

The title is a misnomer.. the list now has 232 entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ed95005 wrote:
Carcassonne with Inns & Cathedrals expansion

Two players.

Quote:
Power Grid

I prefer not playing Power Grid.

Quote:
Ra

3 or 4 players. Both are good.

Quote:
Through the Desert

3 or 4 players.

Quote:
Ticket to Ride

Not worth playing.

Quote:
Tikal

I prefer not playing Tikal.

Quote:
Torres

3 or 4 players. Both are good. We play the variant with all cards in hand, but without the master pattern cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a counter opinion on Ra:
I really like Ra a lot, but I avoid it with only 3. I find that the ability to win 33% more auctions (4 sun tiles vs 3) dilutes the tension of which auctions to go for. It also means players on average get more stuff each epoch (same number of Ra tiles independent of # of players), which means it's easier to get your civ tile, your flood tile, etc. I prefer people getting burnt for not having such things. Hence 5 is my favorite #. And with turns that are so incredibly short, it's not like there's a down time issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
curtc wrote:
It also means players on average get more stuff each epoch (same number of Ra tiles independent of # of players)

Whilte there are always 30 RA tiles, you need only 8 with 3 players to end the epoch (9 with 4 and 10 with 5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I forgot about that (I almost always play with 5). So that strikes that portion of my complaint. 4 sun tiles vs 3 still stands, though, unless I'm misremembering that too. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Tikal being an action point game, I prefer it with a smaller number of players - usually 3 or 4. Ra is definitely more fun with more, but plays okay with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.