Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought CR and my group is excited to start playing. We want to do it campaign-style right off the bat (using the suggestions and files in the forums) but we have a couple of questions first.

We understand the rules and how to play but don't want to read ahead on the adventures as we want to experience the story as we go along...if that's even how the game was designed. Are the adventures just a bunch of random scenarios or do they relate to each other plot-wise? Since we are going to play the game as a campaign, will the official adventures work by just playing them in order?

Also, we are kind of overwhelmed by all the campaign rules and files here in the forum. Can anyone recommend the essentials we will need to get started? We want to keep it simple with using the official rules as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonsher wrote:
Just bought CR and my group is excited to start playing. We want to do it campaign-style right off the bat (using the suggestions and files in the forums) but we have a couple of questions first.
I'd ignore all the online stuff and just play a simple game using the most basic scenario in the book first.

jonsher wrote:
We understand the rules and how to play but don't want to read ahead on the adventures as we want to experience the story as we go along...if that's even how the game was designed. Are the adventures just a bunch of random scenarios or do they relate to each other plot-wise? Since we are going to play the game as a campaign, will the official adventures work by just playing them in order?
If you mean just the game in the box, not including whatever online stuff you've found, they designed it as a single session dungeon crawl, not a campaign. You don't have character progression over a series of adventures; the character and monster power levels stay within a certain, fairly narrow, range. If the official book of adventures has a campaign mode, they compensate by slowing down your equipment gain to stretch it out over several adventures. IIRC the campaign mode in siste game Wrath of Ashardalon still doesn't let your characters go higher than second level, and the monsters don't scale either. Much more, and you might as well pick up the D&D4E intro books.

jonsher wrote:
Also, we are kind of overwhelmed by all the campaign rules and files here in the forum. Can anyone recommend the essentials we will need to get started? We want to keep it simple with using the official rules as much as possible.
Seriously: start with the stuff in the box and play an adventure or two. Then you'll have some idea what you want from your add-on campaign rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've already played the first adventure and messed around with the second, that's how we know how to play. We just want to know the answer to these questions before we continue on. We know there's no official character progression between adventures, we're just wondering if the adventures (if played in order) follow any kind of story or plot so that we can play them using unofficial campaign rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say they follow anything like a plot. You could play them in any order and it wouldn't matter. They are loosely connected in a vague thematic way insofar as the opening flavor text will mention Strahd and his nefarious minions, but as far as true plot, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No there isn't a plot line- as it is not a campaign game.

The last two CR adventures are kind of linked together and if you get the online bonus adventure it kind of links as a prequel to the last two (making a loose trilogy). That's it.

I'm always stunned by how many threads there are for this game trying to make it more like dnd and less like the quick fun crawl it was designed to be. But since there are so many posts- you have many options to play with to make it your own.
Like others, I suggest playing this game as is- I have all three and played them more than I'm proud to admit, and we have never changed a thing. Always a good time win or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Antonio
Honduras
flag msg tools
Hi I have a question. I didnt want to make a new thread for this and since Im also new too the game here I decided to ask in this thread.

I just bought this game online and its on its way and I want to protect the cards with sleeves but before I go buy a bunch I want to know if they are the same size as MTG cards. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaDorg, GeckoTh, and myself tried to stick to the "loose" campaign format of the games by creating Campaign Event decks for Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, and Legend of Drizzt. They feature rules for the purchase price of the game treasures, leveling rules up to level 5, and a series of cards. NinjaDorg layed the groundwork and Gecko and myself added more cards to the series along with some other BGG user submissions.

Each hero in the group draws a Campaign Event card before the next adventure to see what happens before the next adventure. The Ravenloft deck makes references to what happened in the module while the Drizzt deck makes references to the R.A. Salvatore books. While you're at it you might enjoy the Room Event decks which present a small situation for each named room tile the first time a hero enters the space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totihno wrote:
Hi I have a question. I didnt want to make a new thread for this and since Im also new too the game here I decided to ask in this thread.

I just bought this game online and its on its way and I want to protect the cards with sleeves but before I go buy a bunch I want to know if they are the same size as MTG cards. Thanks in advance.
You can find details of which size card sleeves (based on the brand you use) here - http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/102880/item/2043116#item20....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls