Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Does Conquest of Kumanjaro seem overpriced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C Schref
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
First, I'd like to say that I played my first two games today with my brother. I picked it up for his birthday (along with the Forcemaster Vs. Warlord expansion) and he loved it. I liked it a lot as well.

Anyway, I saw the other expansion, Conquest of Kumanjaro, and I can't help but feel like it's really overpriced. I spent 30 dollars on FvW off Amazon and it comes with 2 completely new mages, 200 cards, 2 new spellbooks, and counters. CoK only comes with 100 cards, 2 semi-new mages, and some counters and the only place I can find it is the official website where it's 25 dollars.

What's the reasoning behind the price? I'd love to pick it up, because I can tell this is a game we'll play for a long time. It's just too much though.

Sorry if it has been discussed.

Edit: I just noticed CoK was just released a few days ago which probably explains the price. I thought CoK was their first expansion. Still seems a bit high, IMO. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Andy I think you missed the point.

In FvW you get more components for your money. The OP is right that the new expansion is overpriced if you make just that comparison. It doesnt matter if you think its worth it or not, quantively your getting less game for more money.

Maybe when it hits amazon it'll get a bit cheaper, right now I suspect its too new to offer a discount, but that will change. I bet it'll be $19.99 off amazon next month if you can wait it out.

Also, Mage Wars isnt very popular around my part of the world, not sure what it is like near anyone else. If they made only a limited print run for a small sales forecast, that will boost the price up a bit too.

I hope the game takes off in the near future because I do enjoy playing, but none of my local game stores run any leagues or gamenights for Mage Wars, how about you guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
padawanofthegames wrote:
If you looked at every game quantitatively, 90 percent of card games would not be worth the money, as well as about 60 percent of board games.

This may or may not be true, but it's irrelevant, the problem is not that it's objectively too expensive, but that it's too expensive when compared with products from the same line and publishing house.

However since he actually got the first expansion at below MRSP it seems that it's a non-issue as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a better comparison in price would be with the The Core Spell Tomes. At $19.99 msrp they come with 110 cards and that's it. In the CoK expansion (which they call a Spell Tome expansion, btw) you still get 110 cards (106 spell cards + 2 Mage cards + 2 Ability cards) So for +$10 you get 22 new markers and a rules sheet. It still seems a bit over priced, but I think it is a fairer comparison in products. You'll be able to get both at discounts online though, On Coolstuffinc.com it's pre-ordering for $19.99 and the core spell tomes are going for $13.49 each.

$26.99 for FvW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome M. II
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Chris, I hear what your saying, and to an extent I can identify with some of your points. However, I respectfully disagree with your opinion claiming the new expansion is overpriced.

The CoK expansion has all new cards with all new art (you got to pay for that brother), these are not like the proper spell tomes in that they do not have cards that you already own in the core upon purchase. Other cost factors - larger box, condition and ability counters, rules outlining new game mechanics, cost of shipping, etc. But all these things outstanding, CoK has TWO NEW Mages! Sayyyyy Whaaaaa.... *Double Take* TWO NEW Mages! I know you know this, so when taking value into consideration, can you object that this multiplies the overall replay ability of the game?

New cards, new mechanics, new ways to build books, new ways to play, more incentive to enter the arena - for these reasons I believe the price point is justified. Thats just me though, imho and all that jazz. My advice, drop $30 and then wreck house with a dark fire priest. CoK - $30. The look on the opponents face when you pillar of light, stun, then pay one mana to auto burn - Priceless. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your point about all new artwork is a fair one, designing new cards and mechanics does cost something. But I was looking at things in terms of materials cost and not so much about adding replay value or the cost of enthusiasm (you got to pay for that brother)

but to be clear, I only think the msrp is a little high. I am comfortable with the prices I can find online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Schref. Was shocked and disappointed about the price. Especially when your trying to convince friends to get this game, telling them it's not a money pit, and then they see the price of CoK and say "no thanks".

In fact, this is the first time I've had negative feelings towards this game since I got it. And if it's going to be $30 a pop in the future too, well, I and my friends sure won't be "popping" any more. If they start making the mistakes MtG did; greed; I mine'es well go back to MtG.

Course, fanboys and "salesman" will list a thousand and one reasons why it's over priced; still, it does not change the fact it's overpriced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Schref
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
If I could get this pack for 15 bucks or so, I'd have absolutely no problem putting out the cash for it. I understand your points about why it costs so much, but it's still too expensive for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked it up from CSI today for $20 minus discount. Compared to the base game it seemed about what I expected price-wise. Shocked and disappointed? I usually reserve that for when a family member passes away unexpectedly. Maybe that is an advantage of growing up, it gives perspective.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You talk like you were a magic the gathering player who want to play the new cards he find good but dont have the money to buy. It is a board game !!!! You would probably just play with your brother so that not too bad if you dont have this spell book. If you find it overpriced, then wait, skip it and buy the next one Druide vs necromancer I think or just wait that your brother buy it. problem solve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Schref
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
vilainn6 wrote:
You talk like you were a magic the gathering player who want to play the new cards he find good but dont have the money to buy. It is a board game !!!! You would probably just play with your brother so that not too bad if you dont have this spell book. If you find it overpriced, then wait, skip it and buy the next one Druide vs necromancer I think or just wait that your brother buy it. problem solve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
vilainn6 wrote:

It doesnt matter if he has, or doesnt have he money for the expansion... It is irrelevant, just like the new art justifying a higher price is irrelevant.

The whole point is that this expansion come with 110 cards and some counters for $30, while FvW come with cards, counters, really new mages, spellbooks, and some other knick knacks for the same price. Now, if you think these 2 expansions are comparable value then fine, but I think FvW is way better value for the same money, and that is the point.

If you want to spend the money that is your choice and I respect that, I will get the expansion as well... But Ill buy it next month for $20 and free shipping.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Vit
Czech Republic
Zabcice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
padawanofthegames wrote:
It's not the same price. Msrp of FvW is 39.99. This is not Amazon prices, this is the suggested retail of Forcemaster vs. Warlord. Meanwhile, the suggested retail of Conquest is 29.99. This is the suggested retail, ten dollars less. You cannot compare Amazon prices with MSRP prices, as they are different, often radically so.

I'll be buying the expansion and don't care that much about the cost. Once I decided to buy the base game I knew that Arcane Wonders will own my credit cardshake

But I can clearly see, what is raising these questions. Given your listed prices, if you take that the 2 spellbooks are worth 10 dollars, you are on the same price for the rest of the FvW package. Compared to the CoK you are basically getting a package of half the size for the same price.

I see Arcane Wonders doing a lot to support the game and I have no problem to give them my money for that. Their good presence and support for the game right here on BGG was one of the deciding factors for me to buy the game. Still, there's hanging the question, what will be the price of similarly sized expansions in a year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
As someone who only owns the base game at this point but plans on adding to it soon I have to say, given the current options of Force master and Warlord vs the new Kumanjaro pack it's a no brainer for me to grab the
FM WL expansion as it does indeed seem to be better value for dollars out the door.

Being that the OP already owns the first expansion, like others have suggested why not just skip the Kumanjaro pack if it does't come with enough goodies in his opinion and grab the next true Expansion Druid vs Necro.

My biggest gripe is that the Expansion Forcemaster vs Warlord doesn't come with action markers but that's another can or worms.

Either way, in time I'm sure I will own all that is released for this game. Though the components seem to be lacking in Kumanjaro for the money being asked I'm sure for it to even have been developed and distributed there had to be a cut off point price wise or it wouldn't even have been produced and put out there for people welling to pay the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Value is subjective. It obviously seems over priced to the OP. What we say doesn't change that unless it improves the value proposition.

Personally I'll be picking this expansion up, as the new mages and spells will give me more than $30 value of use. If your not fussed on that, there is no need to have to rush out and buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
Picked it up from CSI today for $20 minus discount. Compared to the base game it seemed about what I expected price-wise. Shocked and disappointed? I usually reserve that for when a family member passes away unexpectedly. Maybe that is an advantage of growing up, it gives perspective.devil

I'm in my 50s. Maybe as an actual sign you are growing up, you will not makes such child-troll type comments. That includes telling someone what they can and can't feel if you don't approve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
wwscrispin wrote:

I'm in my 50s. Maybe as an actual sign you are growing up, you will not makes such child-troll type comments. That includes telling someone what they can and can't feel if you don't approve.

It is not troll-like to confront foolishness head-on. I would be ashamed not to. Everyone, without an argument to stand on hides behind the "my belief is as valid as yours, and I have a right to express it". Cheer up maybe acting immature keeps one young.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Schref
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
wwscrispin wrote:
Purple Paladin wrote:
wwscrispin wrote:

It is not troll-like to confront foolishness head-on. I would be ashamed not to. Everyone, without an argument to stand on hides behind the "my belief is as valid as yours, and I have a right to express it". Cheer up maybe acting immature keeps one young.

This guy... lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jman Z
msg tools
mbmbmb
In my personal opinion:

The base game is quite a bit too cheap.

FmV is only a little too cheap.

The core spell tomes are spot on price wise.

CoM seems to be about right.

I base my opinion on the price i aquired all of the above except CoM for from an (very competetive pricewise) online store in the US. And of course its in relation to what other brand new board games in general cost.

I would personally have prefered they charged a little more for especially the base and then provided more damage counters and avoid printing condition tokens double sided (2 different sides).

Anyway if you start to explore deck building part to its fullest you can almost infinite amount of enjoyable time with this game.
Gameplay wise, all friends(including non-gamer) i have persuaded into trying this has been impressed with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edmond
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wound compare it to some of the "Small box" expansions of some LCC.

They will be $15-$20 and have half of the cards. Not to mention they come out every month.

I say its a fair price, and I had no problem pay it. (And I didnt even have to buy one, and I still did....and I am the poorest person I know. Like, I wish I could afford to eat ramen noodles evey night...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, certainly enjoying the new cards.

But I'd enjoy them more if there were fewer copies of each card and a greater number of different cards.

I mean, who really wants 4 copies of the Colossus Belt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if as new expansions are released, and the population of available spells increases, whether the perceived need for such duplication will change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite happy with the amount of the various cards included. So far it seems to reflect how specific or general their usage is among the different mage types. I'd wish they would include more (much more) Dissolves and Dispels - two cards I seem not to have enough all the time.

CoK is ok price-wise but I'm puzzled that it doesnt fit with FvWL regarding them ratio of price/content. CoK seems to be off compared to the core spell tomes and FvWL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a British games player, it makes me cry a little inside when I see American games players complain about prices. You don't know how good you have it.

Imagine the hullabaloo if the US got charged the same prices as people in the rest of the world...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.